Topics

Another Yahoo Groups outage #transferupdate

 

Hi All,

Once again, I've had to disable new transfer requests. Yahoo is erroring out for the vast majority of our requests. I'll update if/when this changes.

Thanks,
Mark

Katherine Fritz
 

Wow, I just squeaked in this morning by getting in a transfer request for my family group - 20 years of messages my sister described as a "big box of letters," including many from my father and my uncle who have since passed away.

Mark, thank you for everything you've been doing and continue to do to save so many of these longtime groups so important to so many of us.

best regards,
Katie

Charles Roberts
 

Well said Katie, well said.

Chuck, CABGx3



On Nov 29, 2019 2:06 PM, Katherine Fritz <kmfritz@...> wrote:
Wow, I just squeaked in this morning by getting in a transfer request for my family group - 20 years of messages my sister described as a "big box of letters," including many from my father and my uncle who have since passed away.

Mark, thank you for everything you've been doing and continue to do to save so many of these longtime groups so important to so many of us.

best regards,
Katie

Catherine Dold
 

Yes, a big thank you from me as well! 

Our group got transferred Wednesday night, and people are already loving it. We have 650 people and 19 years of messages -- all preserved thanks to you!

Cathy


On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 12:52 PM Katherine Fritz <kmfritz@...> wrote:
Wow, I just squeaked in this morning by getting in a transfer request for my family group - 20 years of messages my sister described as a "big box of letters," including many from my father and my uncle who have since passed away.

Mark, thank you for everything you've been doing and continue to do to save so many of these longtime groups so important to so many of us.

best regards,
Katie



--
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Catherine Dold
Health & Environment Writer
Boulder, CO  
303-543-2390

 

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 10:35 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Yahoo is erroring out
Doing what Yahoo does best!
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

Glenn Glazer
 

On 11/29/2019 12:30, J_Catlady wrote:
On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 10:35 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Yahoo is erroring out
Doing what Yahoo does best!

I think they are trolling us.

Best,

Glenn

--
PG&E Delenda Est

Daniel Allen
 

Sigh. Taking deep breaths, hoping Yahoo stops falling down long enough to get our group transferred over. 

We made the mistake of taking the whole last month to decide between groups.io, Discourse, and slack (our building with 140 families, where a surprisingly balanced mix of people seemed in favour of each option). The condo board approved spending the money to transfer to groups.io last night and I apparently just missed the window before Yahoo went pear-shaped again. 

*fingers crossed*

Daniel Allen
Kitchener, Ontario

Ali
 

While we all wait ... If you haven't done so it is probably a good idea to request all your group data from Yahoo. This page has instructions:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/4/20917500/yahoo-group-data-download-how-to

I put the request in several weeks ago and a few days ago got an email notice that it was ready to be downloaded. The zip file I received was over 2Gb. What is interesting and surprising is the zip file contains all the data (posts, files, photos etc) from all the groups that I was ever subscribed to including 10 that no longer exist or are inaccessible! I don't know if this is some change Yahoo/Verizon has made but I really only expected to receive the posts, YMMV.

Ann Kelsey
 

My group is in the same boat. It took awhile for us to decide, partially because some of us were out of the country,  and when we finally did, yahoo went fubar and Mark had to suspend requests for group transfers. We are also holding our breaths. 

 

On Sat, Nov 30, 2019 at 06:52 PM, Alisdair MacRae Birch wrote:
the zip file contains all the data (posts, files, photos etc) from all the groups that I was ever subscribed to
That's actually somewhat scary!
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

David Hartwell
 

Mark,

1) Does the outage only affect transfer of messages, or everything? I don't need messages transferred, just everything else. So I'm wondering if maybe the present outage wouldn't prevent this. (I have already archived our Yahoo group messages and am working on getting them in mbox file format for import).

2) I think we need some transfer help. Presently, the transfer of our group (UnsolvedProblems), seems to be stuck in limbo. It was first attempted about a month ago and a few more times since. When I try it again, it just says "That Yahoo Group is already a part of another transfer." but there is no transfer status and nothing has been transferred. The transfer steps were not done exactly in order (due to a change in group ownership mid-way), so maybe that's the cause.

David

Juulz
 

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 12:32 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
That's actually somewhat scary!
It is, actually.

When opened with an mbox reader, it also contains full email addresses from groups that have them hidden from membership!

 

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 08:23 AM, Juulz wrote:
it also contains full email addresses from groups that have them hidden from membership!
And also, unless I'm misunderstanding it seems you're implying it contains content from after people left (or, in some cases, were ousted) from their groups, which is content they should not be seeing if the group messages are private.

BTW, every time I see this subject title it at first parses as "Another Yahoo Groups outrage" before my brain makes the correction.:-)
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.

 

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 8:23 AM David Hartwell via Groups.Io <hartwelld=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

1) Does the outage only affect transfer of messages, or everything? I don't need messages transferred, just everything else. So I'm wondering if maybe the present outage wouldn't prevent this. (I have already archived our Yahoo group messages and am working on getting them in mbox file format for import).

Mostly it just affects messages. Photos, files and member lists seem to be ok.

 
2) I think we need some transfer help. Presently, the transfer of our group (UnsolvedProblems), seems to be stuck in limbo. It was first attempted about a month ago and a few more times since. When I try it again, it just says "That Yahoo Group is already a part of another transfer." but there is no transfer status and nothing has been transferred. The transfer steps were not done exactly in order (due to a change in group ownership mid-way), so maybe that's the cause.


If you, or anyone else, wants to go ahead with the transfer but without messages, first, go into your transfer request and uncheck the Messages box. Then contact me off-list with the name of your Groups.io group and your Yahoo Group. I cannot guarantee that, if Yahoo ever fixes the messages issue, that I'd be able to go back later and get the messages for your group. But you'd have everything else transferred.

Thanks,
Mark

Kathleen Michels
 

Hi Mark, we have a few groups paid for and in the process  but  that are apparently in limbo still waiting for transfer. You set today as the original transfer deadline. If they don't make it to the transfer stage  today is that it and we have lost the transfer opportunity or will you still be transferring if yahoogroups finally allows,?
Thank you!
Kathy

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019, 1:35 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hi All,

Once again, I've had to disable new transfer requests. Yahoo is erroring out for the vast majority of our requests. I'll update if/when this changes.

Thanks,
Mark

 

On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 9:08 AM Kathleen Michels <michelskm2016@...> wrote:
Hi Mark, we have a few groups paid for and in the process  but  that are apparently in limbo still waiting for transfer. You set today as the original transfer deadline. If they don't make it to the transfer stage  today is that it and we have lost the transfer opportunity or will you still be transferring if yahoogroups finally allows,?


Given my December 1st deadline and Yahoo's continuing unreliability, I can no longer accept new transfer requests. If you have an existing transfer request, I will continue to try to complete the transfer up until the December 14th deadline.

Thanks,
Mark

Ann Kelsey
 

Mark,

Can you enable the transfer request option for those of us who would like to initiate the transfer without messages, but couldn't go through the transfer request process due to it being disabled on Friday?

What my group really needs are the photos and member list. I downloaded the messages through the yahoo download manager. Of course it would be nice to have them integrated, but getting a transfer of the photos and member list would make things much easier for us in launching the group on groups.io. 

Thanks.

Ann Kelsey

Kathleen Michels
 

So by existing - do you mean complete up to upgrade to premium  paid for? We received acknowledgement of upgrade to premium payment but not able to go on to next step


On Sun, Dec 1, 2019, 12:13 PM Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 9:08 AM Kathleen Michels <michelskm2016@...> wrote:
Hi Mark, we have a few groups paid for and in the process  but  that are apparently in limbo still waiting for transfer. You set today as the original transfer deadline. If they don't make it to the transfer stage  today is that it and we have lost the transfer opportunity or will you still be transferring if yahoogroups finally allows,?


Given my December 1st deadline and Yahoo's continuing unreliability, I can no longer accept new transfer requests. If you have an existing transfer request, I will continue to try to complete the transfer up until the December 14th deadline.

Thanks,
Mark

Jerry Peek
 

Hi Mark,

I understand that Yahoo will keep the messages online after December 14th. Would you be able to keep trying to transfer them after the 14th? (I've downloaded the photos and files, and I can upload them manually if I have to. But Yahoo wouldn't give me the messages.)

Thanks!
Jerry

On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 09:12:59 PST, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 9:08 AM Kathleen Michels <michelskm2016@...> wrote:
Hi Mark, we have a few groups paid for and in the process  but  that are apparently in limbo still waiting for transfer. You set today as the original transfer deadline. If they don't make it to the transfer stage  today is that it and we have lost the transfer opportunity or will you still be transferring if yahoogroups finally allows,?
Given my December 1st deadline and Yahoo's continuing unreliability, I can no longer accept new transfer requests. If you have an existing transfer request, I will continue to try to complete the transfer up until the December 14th deadline.

Thanks,
Mark

Jerry Peek
 

Oops, sorry... we also need to move the members!

On 12/1/2019 1:20 PM, Jerry Peek wrote:
Hi Mark,

I understand that Yahoo will keep the messages online after December 14th. Would you be able to keep trying to transfer them after the 14th? (I've downloaded the photos and files, and I can upload them manually if I have to. But Yahoo wouldn't give me the messages.)

Thanks!
Jerry

On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 09:12:59 PST, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Sun, Dec 1, 2019 at 9:08 AM Kathleen Michels <michelskm2016@...> wrote:
Hi Mark, we have a few groups paid for and in the process  but  that are apparently in limbo still waiting for transfer. You set today as the original transfer deadline. If they don't make it to the transfer stage  today is that it and we have lost the transfer opportunity or will you still be transferring if yahoogroups finally allows,?
Given my December 1st deadline and Yahoo's continuing unreliability, I can no longer accept new transfer requests. If you have an existing transfer request, I will continue to try to complete the transfer up until the December 14th deadline.

Thanks,
Mark