moderated find member activity by clicking on member link in post #suggestion

For a long time I've struggled with the fact that clicking on a member's link in the attribution to a recent post of theirs takes you only to their profile, not to their activity page. To get to their member page, you have to either do a search on the member list, or, what I've been doing, go to the group activity log, find "xyz sent message bla bla," and click on xyz there.

I have rarely (maybe 1 time in 1,000?) wanted to go to the member's profile. I almost exclusively want to see their activity and their page as a whole.

It would be infinitely convenient if moderators clicking on a member attribution could be taken directly to the member's page instead of their profile. I understand there needs (although seldom in my case) to be a way to get to the profile, but it seems that could be worked out some other way. The priority is currently skewed towards seeing the profile, which rarely (in my group, at least) contains useful information, or at least, the information that I'd want to see about a member.

Bob Bellizzi

I will usually go to More/View Source and double click on a part of the email address in the From: line of the header.
As backup I keep an Access DB of members from our Join Request Form  which gives me several possible fields for searching.
But I agree that more direct way  to  link to their member's page would speed things up
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 10:01 am, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
I will usually go to More/View Source and double click on a part of the email address in the From: line of the header.
That's pretty convoluted. (It also didn't work for me....in one case the the email address was fig-leafed, in another it was barely findable except way way down in the source code, and even when findable, it was not clickable - so maybe I misunderstood what you do?)

J,

It would be infinitely convenient if moderators clicking on a member
attribution could be taken directly to the member's page instead of
their profile.
Agreed.

I understand there needs (although seldom in my case) to be a way to
get to the profile, but it seems that could be worked out some other
way.
Find them in the Directory (once that's been enhanced a bit), assuming at least mods and owners can see it.
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/15222

Or, leave the attribution link as is and add another link -- one which is only shown to mods and owners -- that goes to the member's page. The text of that other could be, for example, the member's email address placed right after their display name. Or that could be in the More menu if putting it near the attribution seems too cluttered. Though if it were hidden away in the More menu I'd likely as not hit the Profile link by accident first.

Shal

--
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Bob Bellizzi

Sorry I've off line for other stuff.  All one needs is the left part of the email address which is usually the unique portion.
Figleaf doesn't interfere.
I didn't say it wasn't convoluted but it works. I'm used to having to use workarounds to compensate for under interfaced software.
Far too few programmers ever consider the potential issues the user might have.  At IBM user interface was never loser interface.

--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 09:06 pm, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
All one needs is the left part of the email address which is usually the unique portion.
Figleaf doesn't interfere.
Hmmm, I still don't know what you're talking about. You said you click on it, but nothing is clickable in the source I'm seeing. And in any case, the address's domain is wiped out (aka figleafed) so the email address is not even fully readable. I guess I will continue to use my own workaround via the activity log until (hopefully) Mark comes up with something.

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 03:31 pm, Shal Farley wrote:

Or, leave the attribution link as is and add another link -- one which is only shown to mods and owners -- that goes to the member's page.
I like this idea and I'd put it in the More menu.

I would like this too. Preferably taking me somewhere where I can see their e-mail address, so I'm not left wondering which "Paula" posted it.

It would be even better if it took me somewhere where I could stick them on moderation immediately.

Thank you.

Helen

That reminds me of something else: bringing you to the member page would provide the immediate ability to put someone on moderation, but it (unfortunately) does not show the person's email address. Why can't the member page show the person's email address? This has been a constant PITA as well. I can get to the email address via the member list, but not via the member page. I can get to the member page via the activity log, but not via their post. Etc.

I would love to have ONE PLACE, which I assume would most naturally be the member page, that both (1) contains ALL the information about a member, including their email address and (2) is easily accessible from a person's post.

Exactly. This is what I would like too. The profile pages are of no use, there is never anything on them.

Helen

Helen,

I would like this too. Preferably taking me somewhere where I can see
their e-mail address, so I'm not left wondering which "Paula" posted
it.
The member's page would be that place. The email address is shown at the very top of the page, above the row of buttons for the various "tabs" on the page.

It would be even better if it took me somewhere where I could stick
them on moderation immediately.
Same place. At the very bottom of the member's page is where you set their Posting Privileges. On the Membership tab (the default tab when you open their page).

Shal

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 11:11 am, Shal Farley wrote:
The email address is shown at the very top of the page, above the row of buttons for the various "tabs" on the page.
I was not looking high enough up. :)

HI All,

I've added a 'Member Page' item to the More menu when viewing expanded messages and to the arrow dropdown when viewing the collapsed messages view. It's also in the search results as well.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 1:19 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 11:11 am, Shal Farley wrote:
The email address is shown at the very top of the page, above the row of buttons for the various "tabs" on the page.
I was not looking high enough up. :)

Thanks, Mark, this is awesome!

Mark,

I can't begin to tell you how convenient this has made things. There are even some uses I hadn't thought of before. For example, I can now very easily go in and update the person's cat's diagnosis/progress with a short summary in their notes page as soon as they post a new message. I no longer have to slog back through dozens and dozens of threads and messages to find out the cat's status and the latest developments. So this is a huge win. Thanks.