Topics

locked The attachment icon lacks identification of the file #suggestion #bug

Mark,

One bug(?):

Two messages in my PTA group have PDF files as attachments. One appears with a ? in the attachment icon (blue-outline sheet), the other helpfully says PDF inside the icon. Notably the ? one must be downloaded (Chrome and Firefox) but the PDF one opens in the browser, which I prefer.

Looking at the View Source there's a clue that they are different because I used different email systems. The one that worked was gmail and specified the attachment as "Content-Type: application/pdf;", whereas the other was Eudora Classic and specified the attachment as "Content-Type: application/octet-stream;"

When the MIME info is ambiguous I don't know if that can be overcome by trusting the file name (when it specifies a type) or examining the file content. Or maybe this is too narrow a use case to bother with.
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/MHS-PTSA/message/48
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/MHS-PTSA/message/49

Two suggestions:

Notably, on those pages there is no indication anywhere that the message has an attachment, other than the attachment icon itself. A paperclip in the Subject line would be welcome here, as it is in the Message or Thread View lists.

Also, there's no display of the attachment file name or other information about it. Showing the name at least would be helpful, showing the size or anything else known about it also might be nice.

-- Shal

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Shal Farley <shal@roadrunner.com> wrote:

Notably, on those pages there is no indication anywhere that the message has
an attachment, other than the attachment icon itself. A paperclip in the
Subject line would be welcome here, as it is in the Message or Thread View
lists.
Fixed.

Also, there's no display of the attachment file name or other information
about it. Showing the name at least would be helpful, showing the size or
anything else known about it also might be nice.
I've added the filename for attachments that aren't images. My
incredible web design skills are definitely in evidence with the
attachment displays</sarcasm>. At some point I'd like to make that
nicer, including adding things like file size.

As for deducing file type from filename extension in the case of
application/octet-stream, I don't think it's unreasonable to do, but
may be a bit niche for the work required to get it done. If I hear of
other instances, I'll definitely reconsider.