Topics

locked Community Code of Conduct

Hi All,

Many communities are starting to adopt codes of conduct and I'm
wondering if we should have one for the groups on Groups.io. Here are
two examples:

http://www.rust-lang.org/conduct.html
https://www.djangoproject.com/conduct/

One of the reasons this is on my mind is that I've gotten a complaint
from someone who was banned from a group and thinks they were/are
being treated unfairly or poorly. It would be nice to have a document
that I could point people to that would specify what constitutes abuse
and what, if anything, happens if abuse does take place. Just being
banned from a group would not be abuse, for example. Violent threats
against someone would be abuse.

As Groups.io grows, we will get more of these complaints and I want to
make sure we're consistent about how we respond. Also, it's important
to me that the people who use Groups.io are respectful of each other.

Questions: Do you agree with having a Code of Conduct? If so, do you
agree that it should spell out what would happen to violators? And if
so, do you have thoughts on what actions should be taken with those
violators?

Linda

Hi Mark,
Folks won't read the Code of Conduct, especially if it's too wordy. Yahoo's Guidelines are well-written, in my opinion: https://policies.yahoo.com/us/en/yahoo/guidelines/groups/index.htm

Regarding banning, a group owner should have sole discretion and not have to justify his actions. I don't believe you should ever get involved.

Thanks,
Linda

Marlin47

Mark, I would urge you to be very careful with this.

I would think you would want to distance yourself from this, as best as you could, for fear of alienating the group owners.

Being realistic, I am very well aware that there may be times when you might have to get involved if there is something going on in a group that demands something like police intervention, but I think the fewer rules and/or guidelines, the better.

For the person who complained to you that they were banned from a group, it seems to me that this decision should be entirely up to the group owner.

About the time you would have a guideline, or worse get involved in that, the group owner will decide he needs to have his group elsewhere.

I wonder, has there ever been, in all history, any person who was ever banned from any group who did not think he was treated unfairly or poorly?

Group owners and their groups are a wondrous diversity of viewpoints and philosophies. I only see imposed guidelines as imposing on that diversity.

Marlin

On 4/29/2015 6:22 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
[...]

Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@...>

Hi Mark, while I agree that a cut of conduct is in order, most groups on your service at least the ones I am part of we have rules and whatnot posted on our group, and when I remember subscribes to a group there is A set of rules that they should follow sent out to them as soon as they're approved by I was donor. So just wondering if you were to put a code of conduct up if it would override our current rules and God Lines? Because I am on two groups right now but I know that send out rules and guidelines when we except a member. And if you would like a copy of our code of conduct, of rules and guidelines that I have I will be glad to copy and paste each one and send them to you.

Do you have a problem navigating social media? Do you find that email is the best way to communicate, are you interested in meeting new people and making new friends? Then we have created a group for you.this group, is where blind and deaf individuals can get together and socialize in communicate. If you were interested please subscribe here.

chat-request@... from my iPhone

On Apr 29, 2015, at 6:22 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

I have been a group owner and a co-owner.  Never in all the years that I've been with Yahoo have a felt any group member had done something that necessitated banning him or her.  I have been a member of a group where the owner had a lengthy list of group rules which were more stringent than what Yahoo had.  During the short time I was a member, she banned at least one person.

I do agree with Mark in that there should be a Code of Conduct or Guidelines as Yahoo calls them.  I also agree that if the guidlines/code of conduct is very lengthy people will not read them.  They will just click the I Accept button without really knowing what they accepted.

Perhaps if a group member feels that he or she has been unfairly banned, there should be a system in place to where the member and the group owner, along with a mediator could communicate.  In many situations, it all boils down to a misunderstanding.   The mediator would not be affiliated with the group from which the member was banned.

I think a Code of Conduct is a good idea.

Christopher Hallsworth

Hi Mark

I own two groups as you know. As far as I'm concerned, no code of conduct should be needed. Instead, we all should follow rules and guidelines set out by each group. Regrettably, I may know the person who has sent in the complaint, but I'm sorry, it's my groups and if they think they were treated unfairly then they obviously did not respect the rules and guidelines of the group(s).

Just my £0.02 worth.

On 4/30/2015 11:51 AM, Christopher Hallsworth wrote:
Instead, we all should follow rules and guidelines set out by each group.
True - but I do suspect there should be some site rules that will
protect Mark - if they are nothing more than "nothing that is actually
illegal".

dg

Hi Mark,

If you do write a code of conduct, could you please also include not allowing dog fighting/animal harming/bestiality groups as well as pedophile/child pornography groups? I know you were mostly looking for how people treat each other in discussions, but it would be nice to never come across these kinds of groups on the groups.io service.

I do think it's better to keep it short so people will read it. Perhaps put a link to the code of conduct on the screen you see when you log into groups..io?

I like the first one as it's fairly short but covers a lot of good points. My suggested changes are below.

Thanks
Trish

Code of Conduct

Conduct

  • We are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, religion, or similar personal characteristic.
  • On IRC, please avoid using overtly sexual nicknames or other nicknames that might detract from a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all. Please keep in mind there may be children reading the group posts in some of our groups.
  • Please be kind and courteous. There's no need to be mean or rude. Respect that people have differences of opinion and that every design or implementation choice carries a trade-off and numerous costs. There is seldom a right answer.
  • Please keep unstructured critique to a minimum. If you have solid ideas you want to experiment with, make a fork and see how it works.
  • We don't tolerate behavior that excludes people in socially marginalized groups. We will exclude you from interaction if you insult, demean or harass anyone. That is not welcome behavior. We interpret the term "harassment" as including the definition in the Citizen Code of Conduct; if you have any lack of clarity about what might be included in that concept, please read their definition. In particular,
  • Private harassment is also unacceptable. No matter who you are, if you feel you have been or are being harassed or made uncomfortable by a community member, please contact one of the channel ops or any of the Rust core team immediately. Whether you're a regular contributor or a newcomer, we care about making this community a safe place for you and we've got your back.
  • Likewise any spamming, trolling, flaming, baiting or other attention-stealing behavior is not welcome.
  • Groups.io does not allow groups related to these topics: child pornography, pedophelia, dog fighting, cock fighting, bestiality, crush, human or animal abuse of any kind, or anything that is illegal.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 7:22 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Steph <hsrsp@...>

Hello Mark and everyone,
First of all I think that you should put something in place for groups that show no activity within 60 to 90 days. I say that because there are many groups on Yahoo groups that are like that. Also have some guidelines in place for the owners and moderators and I suggest that because I've also seen some on Yahoo groups that I've been a member of fail to keep up with their groups and put all of the ownership responsibility on their moderators.

I agree that you should have guidelines in place for all the users to follow. That's my 2 cents worth. Steph

[...]

Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming. Just a couple of
clarifications. The terms of service that Groups.io already has
protects us and specifies that we do not allow anything illegal. Also,
I am in complete agreement that group owners/moderators should be able
to ban anyone they want. Really what I am trying to explore is
something that talks more about how people should treat each other. To
quote Wil Wheaton, "don't be a dick". I don't know how enforceable
that can or should be from our end. But it seems that at least putting
something out there might help.

Steph <hsrsp@...>

How about something like:
"Do unto others as you would want done unto you. In other words be nice, no flaming, no bashing, treat others as you would want to be treated."

I hope that helps,

Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming. Just a couple of
clarifications. The terms of service that Groups.io already has
protects us and specifies that we do not allow anything illegal. Also,
I am in complete agreement that group owners/moderators should be able
to ban anyone they want. Really what I am trying to explore is
something that talks more about how people should treat each other. To
quote Wil Wheaton, "don't be a dick". I don't know how enforceable
that can or should be from our end. But it seems that at least putting
something out there might help.

vickie <vickie_00@...>

Mark,
Perhaps these examples might trigger an idea on what you want.

Vickie

Please respect the terms!

First and foremost:
You agree, through your use of (group name) that you will not post any material which is defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a living person's privacy, or otherwise contrary to law.

What is flaming? Flaming is treating others rudely online. Sometimes you might offend someone unintentionally, or they may offend you. Do not attack back, report it to a moderator who will deal with the situation (Mods E-mail / Administrator )
To contain the heat, the best response usually is no response at all.
We encourage a healthy exchange of opinions.
If you disagree with another member, challenge the opinion or idea - not the person.

Let's keep it socially polite, legal and approriate for all ages.

Verbal attack towards another member on the list:
While it is hoped that such circumstances will never arise, administration reserves the right to remove the offending member and or depending on the offence  the member status is change to "moderated status" for a short time.

Personal attacks towards any administrator or moderator, or threats , or any other serious matters will result in the member being permanently removed to insure the list of polite members enjoy the open forum freely without disruptions to group members

Rules of Etiquette:
Rule 1: Remember the Human
Rule 2: Adhere to the same standards of behavior online that you follow in real life
Rule 3: Make yourself look good online
Rule 4: Share expert knowledge, suggestions
Rule 5: Respect other people's privacy
Rule 6: Don't abuse your power- being very knowledgeable does not give you that right.
Rule  7: Be forgiving of other people's mistakes

Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming. Just a couple of
clarifications. The terms of service that Groups.io already has
protects us and specifies that we do not allow anything illegal. Also,
I am in complete agreement that group owners/moderators should be able
to ban anyone they want. Really what I am trying to explore is
something that talks more about how people should treat each other. To
quote Wil Wheaton, "don't be a dick". I don't know how enforceable
that can or should be from our end. But it seems that at least putting
something out there might help..

Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@...>

Hi you're welcome Mark and thank you for encouraging us to continue to have our rules that's pretty much what we wanted.
Joseph Hudson
I device support
Email
Face time and iMessage
Office phone
641-715-3900 x34315
Emergency line
641-715-3900 x5887652
Skype
joseph.hudson89

On Apr 30, 2015, at 6:49 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming. Just a couple of
clarifications. The terms of service that Groups.io already has
protects us and specifies that we do not allow anything illegal. Also,
I am in complete agreement that group owners/moderators should be able
to ban anyone they want. Really what I am trying to explore is
something that talks more about how people should treat each other. To
quote Wil Wheaton, "don't be a dick". I don't know how enforceable
that can or should be from our end. But it seems that at least putting
something out there might help.

vickie <vickie_00@...>

Mark,  If I may add..

from someone who was banned from a group and thinks they were/are
being treated unfairly or poorly.

´Policies and guidelines differ from group to group for that reason
you Mark should have your own policy on how  group owners use your group beta wesite  legally or othewise.
This would deter members from each indvidual group  to turn to you with complaints about  the group they belong to and or a complaint about moderator...
If someone steps forward to submit a complaint it should only be about how the moderator abused the website or for what ever rules you personally have set on the use of groups . io web site according to your policie and liability standards...

This leaves each moderator of groups responsible for their own administrative dutiies according to  their own group policies.
Not sure if you have added in your  rules of policies  UPON JOINING ANY GROUP
YOU ARE NOT  HELD  liable for  any circumstance resulting from an exchange, bartering , sales etc, etc..

Vickie

> Thanks for the feedback, please keep it coming. Just a couple of clarifications. The terms of service that Groups.io already has protects us and specifies that we do not allow anything illegal. Also, I am in complete agreement that group owners/moderators should be able to ban anyone they want. Really what I am trying to explore is something that talks more about how people should treat each other. To quote Wil Wheaton, "don't be a dick". I don't know how enforceable that can or should be from our end. But it seems that at least putting something out there might help.

These are what we use in the monthly reminder on the Yahoo version of the group. I offer this only for ideas. Plese note that we require a full name somewhere in all posts. We had a previous problem with trolls and this completely eliminated the problem. It also really helps people feel comfortable replying to each other. This would obviously not be appropriate for some groups:

There are a few rules that are enforced pretty seriously:

¤ Treat everyone with the same common courtesy you would any other person on the street. You may not agree with what someone posts, but disagree with the post, not the person. This list has weathered some very controversial issues by remaining polite and professional with each other. Remember that courtesy extends to trimming excess trailing text from your messages.

¤ YOU MUST SIGN YOUR REAL FIRST AND LAST NAME TO ANY AND ALL POSTS SUBMITTED. OR, IT MUST SHOW CLEARLY IN YOUR YAHOO USER ID. OR, CLEARLY AS PART OF YOUR E-MAIL ADDRESS. If this is not done, moderated messages will be rejected. Unmoderated members who continually violate this will find themselves on moderated status. When contacted by a moderator, you must respond within 48 hours. If there is no reply, your pending message will be deleted. Persons not moderated, who fail to answer a reminder, will automatically be placed on moderated status.

If you require anonymity, you must first contact the Group Owner off-list at MILW-owner@... , introduce your self BY REAL NAME and explain clearly your reason(s). Any arrangements for exception will be made therefrom.

¤ When quoting articles, letters or other documents, include your references or sources in your post. This is especially important if you have information that contradicts someone else's posted data. Everyone needs access to the same information to discuss a subject objectively.

¤ Politics, Race, Religion, Sex, and foul language, are prohibited unless specifically part of a factual narrative. All are hot button topics which can tear apart a Group. Posts containing such material, are subject to editing, or complete deletion, at the discretion of the Group Moderators. This is in keeping with the first rule.

There are also a few strong suggestions that are just good netiquette:

¤ When replying to a message, please trim off all extra repeated parts of the quoted message following. By being careful with this, we can help keep the size of the list archives down and make searching easier.

¤ Posts are moderated for all new members. Also, recent moderated members are restricted from posting files or images until they're unmoderated. Once you've posted a couple messages and the moderators know you're a legitimate member, you'll be unmoderated. These actions are taken to prevent spammers from annoying the list. If you have something to upload to the files area, and find you are unable to, contact one of the moderators off-list.

¤ Sometimes, questions don't get answered. If this happens, don't be offended. This could be because they simply got overlooked while someone was following another current thread. It could also be that nobody with the pertinent information is tuned in at the moment. And it could be that the world's authority on the subject is a member of the list and normally reads it three times a day - but is on vacation this week and isn't reading mail. Please, wait a few days and ask a second time.

¤ The list will only archive messages in plain text and is set to strip attachments. This eliminates the concern for spreading viruses through the list.

We currently have this on the group home page, caused by problems we had with someone using another person's account:

You must use your own Yahoo username and profile. You may not share someone else's username or email address. Users must be individuals, not larger groups or businesses, although individuals may represent such organizations."

I have never banned anyone other than anonymous trolls and spammers. However we've kept some people on moderation for a long, long time and sent back messages that were unacceptable. I also will not edit a post other than to add a person's name or remove trailing quoted matter.

Dano

Duane

If it were me, I'd likely stick with something short and to the point for site guidelines.

1. BE NICE!

2. Group owners make all decisions on member matters.

3. Groups.io reserves the right to refuse service to anyone.

Any others, or even these, could be interpreted any way a person wanted to that might back up their feelings in a given situation.

Duane

I'm not at all sure what you mean by "put something in place for groups that
show no activity within 60 to 90 days". Are you suggesting this means they
should be shut down? I own several small Yahoo groups which often go several
months with no activity, but that does not mean they are not valued. It's just
the nature of the groups, which are small and never intended for general
chit-chat, just for exchanging information of interest to the members as and
when such information becomes available.

Jim Fisher

--
http://www.jimella.me.uk - my personal web site covering many subjects
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom

On 5/1/2015 2:38 PM, Jim Fisher wrote:
It's just
the nature of the groups, which are small and never intended for general
chit-chat, just for exchanging information of interest to the members as and
when such information becomes available.
Same here. I'd also like to know what is meant by "no activity".

I belong to some groups that are closed to new posts, but the archives,
files, etc., still contain valuable and valid information.

dg

Hi Mark,

Many communities are starting to adopt codes of conduct and I'm
wondering if we should have one for the groups on Groups.io.
Groups.io is not a community, it is a platform for creating communities. Which is a somewhat brusque way of saying that I share the concern expressed by Marlin, Duane and others that a choosing and enforcing a detailed code of conduct is more properly the prerogative and responsibility of the group managers than of Groups.io.

There may be an exception to that for groups with public archives. Such as beta itself. The messages can be seen by people who've not joined anything nor necessarily been made aware of any group rules, so Groups.io might have an interest in assuring that public content meets a more universally acceptable standard.

Here are two examples:
Those are good examples of why I make a distinction between a community and the platform that hosts it. They each speak to a specific audience and each promise enforcement in a way that is not likely scaleable with Groups.io

Perhaps you could have a simple, broadly stated code of conduct that applies to groups with public archives, and curate a set of more detailed codes that serve as "best practice" examples for various types of groups. That is, a health support group might need a different code than a freecycling group. Beta's wiki, if opened to subscribers to edit, could serve as a place for interested moderators to contribute and refine examples.

One of the reasons this is on my mind is that I've gotten a complaint
from someone who was banned from a group and thinks they were/are
being treated unfairly or poorly. It would be nice to have a document
that I could point people to that would specify what constitutes abuse
and what, if anything, happens if abuse does take place. Just being
banned from a group would not be abuse, for example. Violent threats
against someone would be abuse.
Maybe what you need is a set of principles for the interactions between members and groups. Examples might be:

o Group membership is mutually voluntary. That means that a group's management may not make you a member without your permission nor attempt to prevent you from leaving. It also means that you cannot make yourself a member of a group with restricted membership nor expect recourse should a group's management remove or ban you.

o Group managers have final authority over what content is allowed in their group. Any content submitted to the group may be moderated, rejected or deleted at the management's sole discretion.

-- Shal

Frances

Hi

Interesting, Shal.

Your point about different types of groups on the Groups.io platform is useful. Linda’s travel group (I am a moderator) is resolutely non-commercial. You can’t advertise your services. Obviously Freecycle groups are different.

I also like the idea of having a list of samples available for list-owners to tweak / adopt if they wish. (“the curated list”).

I also agree with the two bulleted statements.

Frances

Hi Mark,