Topics

moderated Scheduled maintenance, Fri, 11/3/17 9:00pm-10:00pm #downtime #cal-reminder

Hi Brandy,

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 10:13 AM, Brandy Hartley <bhartley@...> wrote:

I am wondering if this Group is the one that is always used for all maintenance window announcements?

They are announced on this group, and they are also announced on the Twitter @groupsio account. On the day of, there's also a banner that goes up on the website announcing it.

Brandy Hartley <bhartley@...>

Hello -

I am wondering if this Group is the one that is always used for all maintenance window announcements?

Best
:::brandy

On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 9:00 PM, main@beta.groups.io Calendar <main@beta.groups.io> wrote:

Reminder:
Scheduled maintenance

When:
Friday, 3 November 2017
9:00pm to 10:00pm
(GMT-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Linode has informed me that the hardware running one of our instances needs to be upgraded and that our instance needs to be migrated to another machine. Because this instance is pretty critical for the site, I need to take the site down to do the migration. I expect the downtime to last less than an hour. I will put a banner up on the site the day of the downtime.

View Event.

--
Brandy Hartley
IT Project Manager

Does that mean no cat pics? 😿

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

I realized that if I made a couple of quick changes, I could migrate the server without taking the site down, so that's what I've done. That means that tonight's downtime has been cancelled.

Thanks, Mark

Hi All,

I realized that if I made a couple of quick changes, I could migrate the server without taking the site down, so that's what I've done. That means that tonight's downtime has been cancelled.

Thanks, Mark

Robert,

Whazup? Is this for real? The description is Greek, or is it geek?
The down time tomorrow (Friday) night is for real. As is the question of when that is in your time zone.

You have questions, in Group Help[1] and Group Managers Forum[2] we have answers. Or at least opinions. Feel free to ask about group calendars and time zones in one of those two groups.

[1]https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
[2]https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

If it is the description of why the site will be down that has you puzzled we can take a stab at that too, but it doesn't really matter to us who simply use Groups.io - suffice it to say "for maintenance".

Shal

Robert Schechter

Whazup? Is this for real? The description is Greek, or is it geek?

Dave,

As I said last time can we please quote these times in GMT. It is hard
to get my head round things when they are quoted in the strange
timescale GMT-0700.
Mark could use GMT when creating maintenance events, and thus cause the reminders to say +00:00, but I wouldn't want to change the reminder feature to always express times in GMT (or UTC+00:00).

To follow international standards the Reminder should say UTC-07:00, so in that sense it is "strange". But writing times with an offset from universal time (whether called GMT or UTC) is a standard usage, and should not be seen as "strange" in the context of any world-wide organization.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC_offset

Having the Event time and Timezone specified separately is a useful feature for events that happen a physical location. That way the time is expressed in the local time you would be in, were you attending the event. It is the same reason your airplane tickets always specify departure and arrival times in the local time of the respective airport.

I see it is correctly quoted as 4am-5am Saturday in the calendar.
Yes the calendar, like the rest of the Groups.io pages (but not including user content), shows you times in your own time zone based on the Time Zone preference in your Account. So I, being in a different time zone than you, see it is correctly quoted as 9:00pm to 10:00pm in the calendar.

By the way, anyone interested in torturing the calendar (or their heads), the U.S. Daylight Savings "fall back" is coming up this Sunday, November 5th. I've put an event in my test group for next Monday, with reminders to be sent tomorrow and Sunday. Those situations bedeviled Yahoo Groups calendars - I'm not sure they ever got it right (I gave up noticing).

Shal

--
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Dave Sergeant

As I said last time can we please quote these times in GMT. It is hard
to get my head round things when they are quoted in the strange
timescale GMT-0700. I take it it is some time Saturday early morning
here in the UK.

I see it is correctly quoted as 4am-5am Saturday in the calendar.

Dave

On 1 Nov 2017 at 21:00, main@beta.groups.io Calendar wrote:

"Scheduled maintenance" Reminder

When: Friday, 3 November 2017
9:00pm to 10:00pm
(GMT-07:00) America/Los Angeles
Description: Linode has informed me that the hardware running one of our instances needs to be upgraded and that our instance needs to be migrated to another machine. Because this instance is pretty critical for the site, I need to take the site down to do the migration. I expect the downtime to last less than an hour. I will put a banner up on the site the day of the downtime.

http://davesergeant.com