Topics

moderated Extra Storage for Sale? #suggestion

Ginny T.

Hi Mark, and all,

I'd like to toss out the suggestion/request, (please, Mark?) of offering Basic groups the option of purchasing storage "upgrades".

I've mentioned both publicly and to Mark directly that I'm more than grateful for the Basic version of Groups.io - I am, very much so. It's also no secret that storage space on a Basic group is quite limited (especially for older groups coming in from Yahoo that bring a lot of "stuff" with them). I've been able to work around that as many of us have by archiving off to DropBox, and limiting the size of photos, etc. That, however, is only going to last so long.

While I'm not in the position of being able to take on an annual subscription for a Premium group, I realize that neither would I want to, other than for gaining extra storage. The features and functions in Basic groups are wonderful (thank you again!) - and to be honest, for a needlework group that is pretty much a hobby no matter how active we are, we don't need the other extras of a Premium group. Upping to that level just for extra storage is not something that would even be in the cards.

However, begin able to purchase additional gigs of storage (be it in units of say, 10GB or one large quantity, either one-time or annual fee - whatever works) IS something that would be most welcomed and also likely to be affordable. And, it would also be a way that I could support the financial end of things, rather than just saying "thank you" (which I'll always do!).

Mark, if this could be considered, I think that you'd find other Basic group owners might feel the same...
Please and thanks,
Ginny T.

--
Ginny T.  gttemari21@...
========

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 03:59 pm, Ginny T. wrote:
I'd like to toss out the suggestion/request, (please, Mark?) of offering Basic groups the option of purchasing storage "upgrades".
@Mark,
While I generally support the request by @Ginny T., I'd like to suggest that you start with a modest increase in the storage space for the Basic (Free) plan.  I think if you look around you'll find that the groups.io storage is considerably less that all other Cloud services.

Thanks again for a great service, and I hope you will give this serious consideration.  I fully realize that you are entitled to make a profit -- I'd just like for you to be more competitive with other services.

Background

At first I loved the features of groups.io, but now as we are really starting to use it, and to develop a wiki, the storage limits, and corresponding pricing, have given me pause.  Storage is obviously very cheap these days, so the groups.io limits/pricing seem inappropriate to me.  I am concerned about getting started with a wiki, and then running out of storage space.

Of course, since we are on the basic/free plan, I can't really complain that much.  I'd be happy now if the free limit was raised to, say, 5-10 GB.

groups.io Pricing:
  • Plan           Price              Storage     I'd Like to See
  • Basic         Free               1 GB             10 GB
  • Premium    $10/month    10 GB           1 TB
  • Enterprise  $100/month  100 GB         10 TB

This is out of line with Google DriveDropBox, and Microsoft OneDrive:

  • Company           Plan               Price                Storage
  • Google Drive      Basic            Free                 15 GB
  •        "                   Paid 1           $1.99/mo        100 GB
  •        "                   Paid 2           $9.99/mo        1 TB
  •        "                   Paid 3           $99.99            10 TB
  • MS OneDrive      Basic            Free                 5 GB
  •       "                    Paid 1           $1.99/mo        50 GB
  •       "                    Paid 2           $6.99/mo        1 TB + Office 365 Personal Subscription
  •       "                    Paid 3           $9.99/mo        5 TB + Office 365 Home Subscription
  • DropBox             Basic            Free                 2 GB
  •       "                    Plus              $9.99/mo        1 TB
  •       "                    Pro                $19.99/mo      1 TB + many features

Mark,

Ginny wrote:

I'd like to toss out the suggestion/request, (please, Mark?) of
offering Basic groups the option of purchasing storage "upgrades".
I'd go for that, especially a nominal annual fee for small increments. Something more in the realm of $10 to $50 per year for as much storage as that can reasonably pay for.

I don't need terabytes, more like scores of Gigabytes. I have long been paying Flickr for a Pro subscription, at $45 per two years, which now gives unlimited storage, ad free (free accounts there have 1 TB, but ad supported).

In keeping with Groups.io's ad-free "freemium" business model I'd rather pay for additional storage as "à la carte" options that can be added to either basic, premium, or enterprise plans. Like Ginny, I don't need the extra features of premium or enterprise, just more storage (primarily for photos).

I understand that there's far more to the "total cost of ownership" of on-line storage than just the fees Amazon charges. Add in various overhead costs (development costs, management, backup, ...) as well as the consequent increase in upload/download bandwidth and I don't know what that adds up to; but hopefully it is a practical price that you can offer.

Shal

--
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

I've been following the parallel thread about this in GMF and I know there's a lot of support there for these ideas. But to add another viewpoint, I personally care more about the features and support than the storage, and I don't think the price is high for that.

John P

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 05:51 pm, Shal Farley wrote:
I'd go for that, especially a nominal annual fee for small increments. Something more in the realm of $10 to $50 per year for as much storage as that can reasonably pay for.
Me too. A solution like that would suit my group perfectly.

John P

Ginny T.

I'd go for that, especially a nominal annual fee for small increments. Something more in the realm of $10 to $50 per year for as much storage as that can reasonably pay for.
This is exactly what I was thinking of. And I do realize that folks are more interested in features and the need for them, but as features increase so does use, and then so does storage need (many times).
Making a la cart storage purchase available could perhaps help off set some development cost. I think my point is made that many basic group owners can’t afford  premium subscription but we’d also be happy to have a small “surcharge” so as to speak factored in to purchasing a chunk of storage that would go towards R&D. While we may not need all of the extra features of advanced subscriptions, we certainly DO appreciate the robustness of the basic plan & would like to support it.
Ginny

--
Ginny T.  gttemari21@...
========

Bill Hazel

This is in response to the GMF thread topic  Pricing Too High, Storage Too Low, for groups.io
I am a very small operator with a couple small free groups (33 and 15 members) and can't afford $20 ... at least not per month.
I don't need a bunch of storage (26 MB on one and 47 MB on the other) but I hate to be a freeloader.
Might I suggest another level - Friend - (call it anything you want, just a suggestion) 2 GB for $2/month.
I'd sign up for it today.

Bill