moderated special-notice hashtag that makes all replies special-notice also #suggestion

There's hashtag feature that automatically makes the message a special notice, but not one that also makes all replies special notice. In fact, currently there is no way (at least, that I've found) to make ANY reply to a special notice also be a special notice. This is especially inconvenient when you want to post an announcement and then an update to the announcement, and want to make sure both the announcement as well as the update goes to everyone. Currently, to make the response to a special notice also a special notice, you have to create a new topic.

Could there be a sub-option under the hashtag feature "special notice" that makes all replies to the message a special notice as well?

Sarah k Alawami

I actually like that idea, especially when my list gets too rowdy and I need to put my famous "admin" thing in the subject line to get everyone's attention

On Oct 16, 2017, at 9:58 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

There's hashtag feature that automatically makes the message a special notice, but not one that also makes all replies special notice. In fact, currently there is no way (at least, that I've found) to make ANY reply to a special notice also be a special notice. This is especially inconvenient when you want to post an announcement and then an update to the announcement, and want to make sure both the announcement as well as the update goes to everyone. Currently, to make the response to a special notice also a special notice, you have to create a new topic.

Could there be a sub-option under the hashtag feature "special notice" that makes all replies to the message a special notice as well?

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 11:50 am, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
I actually like that idea
You would have to be careful, though, that you don't allow all the other group members to send a special notice with their reply, if you don't want to allow that. To avoid that you would have to also set the tag to "mod use only ---> replies by mods only" or make the thread moderated as well. Something like that. (I'm not suggesting that as the default. Just saying that people would have to take care with such a hashtag.)

Sarah k Alawami

No I agree. Maybe for now, admins and mods only can do that, this way we have control over what gets closed, as we should as mods and admins.

Take care

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 09:17 am, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Maybe for now, admins and mods only can do that,
It's easy edit the hashtag itself to make it mod-use only and replies by mods only. I was simply pointing out the possible danger, but I would not suggest making this required or even the default. Some groups (not, as it happens, my own) may want the behavior.

Sarah k Alawami

Sorry, not enough coffee. I meant this could be a setting somewhare in the interface yuo could turn on. For me that would be a good idea as sometimes I have to be heavy handed, that is so rare though thank goodness I might forget. Lol!

Take care and be blessed.

On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 10:13 am, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
I meant this could be a setting somewhare
Maybe still not enough coffee?;) There are already  "mod use only" and "replies by mods only" settings in hashtags.

ro-esp

I don't really understand this suggestion. People choose "special notices" because they DON'T want entire discussions in their inbox. Then again I've never used hashtags...

groetjes, Ronaldo

And moderators send something as a special notice because they want everyone to see it. Currently there’s no way to post a follow-up special notice in the same thread as the original. It’s easy to find example where being able to do that would be useful (if not imperative in some cases).

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 18, 2017, at 2:11 PM, ro-esp <ro-esp@dds.nl> wrote:

I don't really understand this suggestion. People choose "special notices" because they DON'T want entire discussions in their inbox. Then again I've never used hashtags...

groetjes, Ronaldo

Sarah k Alawami

Actually, I believe the special notice goes though to the individual members not the list I could be wrong though I don't normally use them except the unsub, guide lines and subscribe messages, that's about it for me.

On Oct 18, 2017, at 2:24 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@gmail.com> wrote:

And moderators send something as a special notice because they want everyone to see it. Currently there’s no way to post a follow-up special notice in the same thread as the original. It’s easy to find example where being able to do that would be useful (if not imperative in some cases).

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 18, 2017, at 2:11 PM, ro-esp <ro-esp@dds.nl> wrote:

I don't really understand this suggestion. People choose "special notices" because they DON'T want entire discussions in their inbox. Then again I've never used hashtags...

groetjes, Ronaldo

It goes to the list and everyone subscribed either by email or special notice, and it goes into the digests and summaries as well.

Sent from my iPhone

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 02:24 pm, J_Catlady wrote:

And moderators send something as a special notice because they want everyone
to see it. Currently there’s no way to post a follow-up special notice in
the same thread as the original. It’s easy to find example where being able
to do that would be useful (if not imperative in some cases).
Posting a follow-up special-notice can be useful. What I have doubts about is having all the replies to your special notice being sent out as special notices to everybody.....

groetjes, Ronaldo

The tag would typically also be set to ‘replies by moderators only.’ There would not be a conversation.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 19, 2017, at 4:41 PM, ro-esp <ro-esp@dds.nl> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 02:24 pm, J_Catlady wrote:

And moderators send something as a special notice because they want everyone
to see it. Currently there’s no way to post a follow-up special notice in
the same thread as the original. It’s easy to find example where being able
to do that would be useful (if not imperative in some cases).
Posting a follow-up special-notice can be useful. What I have doubts about is having all the replies to your special notice being sent out as special notices to everybody.....

groetjes, Ronaldo

J,

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 9:58 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
There's hashtag feature that automatically makes the message a special notice, but not one that also makes all replies special notice. In fact, currently there is no way (at least, that I've found) to make ANY reply to a special notice also be a special notice.

That's the way special tags currently work. That is, start a new thread with a message that's tagged with a special tag, then reply to that message. That reply is special as well.

Mark

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 01:34 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
That is, start a new thread with a message that's tagged with a special tag, then reply to that message. That reply is special as well.
Mark, before posting the request, I actually tested that with a special-notice member. The member didn't receive a reply to the special notice. ???

I'll test this again ....

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 1:40 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 01:34 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
That is, start a new thread with a message that's tagged with a special tag, then reply to that message. That reply is special as well.
Mark, before posting the request, I actually tested that with a special-notice member. The member didn't receive a reply to the special notice. ???

Is the group moderated? Moderated replies are bypassing the hashtag checks. I will be fixing that shortly.

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 01:55 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Is the group moderated?
Nope.

I will test this again anyway.

Mark,

That is, start a new thread with a message that's tagged with a
special tag, then reply to that message. That reply is special as
well.
I concur with J - replies to the special notice are not sent as special notices (do not arrive at the inbox of a member with that as his/her Email Delivery setting).

Tested yesterday in my test group. Reply posted by email, by a member not the mod who posted the original special notice. I didn't test the other three cases: a reply by web, a reply by the mod who posted the original, or both.

Shal

--
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum