moderated Want to lock historic message, but allow editing on new messages #suggestion

Mo

Hi Mark/Community,

I have taken over a yahoogroup spanning 15 years.

I want to draw a virtual dotted line where anything in past is only viewable as a library/archive, but all new postings are editable by members, but not the old stuff that came across. Is this possible with current settings?

Also maybe to add hashtags to the old messages for searching purposes but that's all.

Thanks

My first thought would be to ask if it's OK to load the old Yahoo group into a subgroup of the new Groups.io group, and make that subgroup read only. Then the main group can be used going forward, and if anyone wants to look up what was done in the past, they can visit the subgroup without being able to post there.

If everything has to be in the main group, then the best way to do it would probably be to load all of the Yahoo messages into locked topics. I don't know if that would have any ill effects.

JohnF

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 11:31 AM, Mo wrote:

Hi Mark/Community,

I have taken over a yahoogroup spanning 15 years.

I want to draw a virtual dotted line where anything in past is only viewable
as a library/archive, but all new postings are editable by members, but not
the old stuff that came across. Is this possible with current settings?

Also maybe to add hashtags to the old messages for searching purposes but
that's all.

Thanks

Why don't you try going into your Settings page, scrolling down to Message Policies, and setting x in "Automatically Lock Topics after x Days" to the interval between now and the last yahoo message thread (like, maybe, 10 days? or whenever the last historical message was posted that you want locked). groups.io will go through at midnight and lock all the topics older than x days. Then tomorrow, you can undo the setting. All the old topics that were locked will stay locked, and no new ones will time out. You may miss a few stragglers but it should get you close enough to what you want.

You can edit any locked topic so you can still add your hashtags, but you would have to do that by hand.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2019 at 02:15 PM, JohnF wrote:
load all of the Yahoo messages into locked topics
I believe the message 'owner' can still delete a message, even if the topic is locked, though I haven't tried to verify it.

Duane

Mo

Thanks.  All very good suggestions.

Going for sub-groups to use as main talking groups eventually as wanna work out how many of the members actually interact or actively lurking.

This will be used too.
Why don't you try going into your Settings page, scrolling down to Message Policies, and setting x in "Automatically Lock Topics after x Days" to the interval between now and the last yahoo message
Have made the setting today.  So that is utterly perfect.

Will use entry point to group as an Archive and just keep it locked down.

Cheers
Mo