moderated Group Guidelines notice #suggestion


Duane
 

On GMF, we've been having a discussion about the new Group Guidelines notice that was sent for the first time on 1 October. There are some tweaks that we feel would be useful and appreciated.

1. The group Subject Tag wasn't added to the subject line of the email. When sent directly to a member by a moderator, it is.
1A. One suggestion was to have the monthly go out with its Subject line (including Subject/group tag & hashtag), but when you elect to send it to one or more members, pre-fill the Subject line on that message composition with just the Subject (no group tag or hashtag)
2. The notice isn't sent to the group archives. While those online can easily click the tab on the left, having it be treated more like a regular post would bring the guidelines to the attention of those members. It should also create an entry in the activity log, which was missing.
3. A system hashtag, possibly #Guidelines, added to the Subject would be appropriate. If this hashtag were set by default to delete the thread after one month, that would prevent having multiple copies of (possibly different) guidelines in the archive.
3A. Possibly have a second hashtag that is used only when sent to those joining a group ("Send on join"), maybe #NewMember.

There was also quite a discussion of the Subject/title of the notice. Apparently some of those that received them thought they were being singled out. We've discovered that we can change this to fit our needs, so the default of 'Group Guidelines' is a good neutral starting place. Having a separate notice Subject, one under the "Send on join" checkbox and one under the "Send monthly" box would be the optimum option.

Thanks,
Duane (and others)


 

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 03:15 am, Duane wrote:
Having a separate notice Subject, one under the "Send on join" checkbox and one under the "Send monthly" box would be the optimum option.
I agree that this would be the best, since the contexts are truly different. Allowing a separate title for the monthly send would allow group owners to include a word like "monthly" or "reminder" there, anything that lets members know that they're not being singled out (as a couple of my group members worried about) and that this is a routine, periodic send/reminder. Yet the send on join is sending something new to the member, so the words "monthly" and "reminder" don't really fit. For the time being, I've solved this by including the entire explanation in the title ("Group guidelines: sent to all new members and monthly to the group"). 
 
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

"so the words "monthly" and "reminder" don't really fit"
..well, except in No. Texas (that's a JOKE!!!) 😊

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 7:39 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 03:15 am, Duane wrote:
Having a separate notice Subject, one under the "Send on join" checkbox and one under the "Send monthly" box would be the optimum option.
I agree that this would be the best, since the contexts are truly different. Allowing a separate title for the monthly send would allow group owners to include a word like "monthly" or "reminder" there, anything that lets members know that they're not being singled out (as a couple of my group members worried about) and that this is a routine, periodic send/reminder. Yet the send on join is sending something new to the member, so the words "monthly" and "reminder" don't really fit. For the time being, I've solved this by including the entire explanation in the title ("Group guidelines: sent to all new members and monthly to the group"). 
 
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu



--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

Duane wrote:

1. The group Subject Tag wasn't added to the subject line of the
email.
Also missing from the monthly send was the group footer. I think that that, together with the group Subject Tag, would aid in the recipient's perception of the message as having been sent to the group rather than singling out him or her.

And that perception is also the reason to leave those items (tag, hashtag, and footer) off of the email when sent to specific members via the Members list. In that case send exactly the subject line that the moderator leaves or puts into the Subject field in the Send Message composition.

Shal

--
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum


 

Hi All,

I like almost all these suggestions and will add them. The one I personally don't like is the idea that the guidelines message should be sent to the group itself, and therefore appear in the archives. I don't like notification messages appearing in the archives and this feels like a notification message (I know we have upload notifications, but perhaps those will go away when the ever-elusive notifications overhaul happens). Besides the duplication of content between it appearing in the archives and also in the 'Guidelines' tab, I feel like the archives should just contain group discussions. Am I wrong in feeling this way?

Thanks,
Mark

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 10:37 AM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:
Duane wrote:

> 1. The group Subject Tag wasn't added to the subject line of the
> email.

Also missing from the monthly send was the group footer. I think that that, together with the group Subject Tag, would aid in the recipient's perception of the message as having been sent to the group rather than singling out him or her.

And that perception is also the reason to leave those items (tag, hashtag, and footer) off of the email when sent to specific members via the Members list. In that case send exactly the subject line that the moderator leaves or puts into the Subject field in the Send Message composition.

Shal

--
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum





Duane
 

I have quite a few members that are web only (no email), as I usually am. If the notice isn't sent to the group, they tend to not look at the Guidelines and I have to remind them sometimes, especially if there have been recent changes. By using a hashtag (#Guidelines?) that would delete the archive entry in a month (when the next one comes out), this situation should be minimized. There are always some that won't pay attention anyway, but this would help in general. In this case, it could be a system/site, non-changeable hashtag that deletes the entry after a month, if that can be done. I can't think of any reason we wouldn't want the old version deleted.

Duane


 

Agree 100% with Duane. It is critical to send it to the archives. Otherwise, web-only members' attention is not called to it, and there may have been updates, etc.

I see the "guidelines" as a hybrid: they're not a notice. They're not a message. They're not a wiki. They're a ghoulish combination of all three. ;)
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

Hi,

I propose that this be configurable as a compromise. Personally, I think it should be kept off the archives, but I do understand that some forums would like to let web subscribers see guidelines.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: main@beta.groups.io [mailto:main@beta.groups.io] On Behalf Of J_Catlady
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2017 10:56 AM
To: main@beta.groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Group Guidelines notice #suggestions

 

Agree 100% with Duane. It is critical to send it to the archives. Otherwise, web-only members' attention is not called to it, and there may have been updates, etc.

I see the "guidelines" as a hybrid: they're not a notice. They're not a message. They're not a wiki. They're a ghoulish combination of all three. ;)
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 11:04 am, Joseph Lee wrote:
I propose that this be configurable
That makes a lot of sense to me. I personally would never turn it off in my group, but the option would be in keeping with the other optional aspects (send as special notice, etc.).
 
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Bob Bellizzi
 

Mark, I agree with you because Guidelines tend to need updates and redos.  Some bulb with a lesser wattage might depend on the archive copy they just know is in a handy place and ignore any further updates.
--

Bob Bellizzi

Founder, Fuchs Friends ®
Founder & Executive Director, The Corneal Dystrophy Foundation


 

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 01:38 pm, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
Mark, I agree with you because Guidelines tend to need updates and redos.  Some bulb with a lesser wattage might depend on the archive copy they just know is in a handy place and ignore any further updates.
It's precisely BECAUSE the guidelines get updates that they should be posted to the archives to get members' attention. The suggested (by Shal or Duane) hashtag that auto-deletes the prior one, or deletes the message in one month, or whatever the detailed suggestion was, eliminates the concern with members hunting through the archives for previous guidelines when a new one has just been posted - which I doubt they would do anyway.
 
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

Mark,

I like almost all these suggestions and will add them. The one I
personally don't like is the idea that the guidelines message should
be sent to the group itself, and therefore appear in the archives. I
don't like notification messages appearing in the archives and this
feels like a notification message ...
I concur with Duane and J. It is a notification when sent to a specific member, or sent to a member on joining, but I think not when it is posted monthly -- then it serves as a reminder.

Posting it to the group itself aids web-reading members by exposing it not only in the group's Messages pages, but also in the compendium of topics in the members' Your Groups page.

... I feel like the archives should just contain group discussions. Am
I wrong in feeling this way?
If not wrong then at least conflicted, there is the other example of Event reminders.

Granted those may be more likely to serve as a prompt for a discussion (birthday wishes and memories as replies to a birthday announcement is common in my classmate groups), whereas in many groups a discussion of the Guidelines might be considered off topic. Still, some groups might welcome discussion in reply to a Guidelines post. For example, in my classmate groups I don't plan to prevent it -- we're pretty informal and open-topic in our discussions.

Shal


 

Hi All,

I've made the following changes to the group guidelines:

- They are now sent to the group instead of individual subscribers every month (if configured to be sent out monthly). This means they will have the subject tag and group footer.
- There is a new subject field to specify a different subject for the emails.
- The emails are sent with the hashtag #guidelines. If that hashtag doesn't exist, it is created with a topic duration of one month. If the hashtag does exist, it is not modified.

Thanks,
Mark