Topics

moderated fix "from" address in edited ("saved & send") message if edited by other than original member #suggestion #bug

If member/moderator A edits a message by member B and selects "save and send," the message sent out looks like it's coming from member B. This just happened to me in one of my groups and totally confused the heck out of me. I saw the email coming (allegedly, according to groups.io) from the member whose message it was. I kept looking at the email, double checking, and thinking how weird it was that he edited his own message to make the same changes I just made to it (namely, linkify a couple of unlinked intended links). I kept waiting for my own edit of his message to come through. I finally realized that was IT - it was just sent under his name.

If possible I think this should be fixed so that the edit looks like it's coming from the person who edited it.

I wouldn't want that at all. Moderator edits should only be used sparingly (IMO) and only for critical information. If someone really needs to know who made the edit, they can look at the post online and click the edit button. What I don't like is that it uses my account name and not 'Moderator' (and I don't have the option of making a selection), but am willing to accept that.

Duane

I understand not wanting a name in the edit. (The 'use sparingly' exhortation is not relevant to this issue.) But sending it from the OP's address is extremely misleading. Perhaps edits could be sent from a 'no reply' address, similar to the pending notice and other notices?

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 23, 2017, at 3:20 AM, Duane <txpigeon@gmail.com> wrote:

I wouldn't want that at all. Moderator edits should only be used sparingly (IMO) and only for critical information. If someone really needs to know who made the edit, they can look at the post online and click the edit button. What I don't like is that it uses my account name and not 'Moderator' (and I don't have the option of making a selection), but am willing to accept that.

J,

If possible I think this should be fixed so that the edit looks like
it's coming from the person who edited it.
I disagree.

If the moderator wants it posted in his/her own name there's an easy solution: post it him/herself (and optionally delete the original).

Shal