moderated "Guidelines" now publicly visible! #suggestion #bug


 

I happened to be logged out of groups.io, went to my group's home page, and discovered that the Guidelines tab, and the content contained therein, is now publicly visible, even though our group is private!

I was shocked. Can this be made an option? Is the idea that potential members should have access to a group's guidelines before they join? I disagree. Before the Guidelines tab (which was created, as I understood and lobbied for it at the time, solely for convenience, easier maintenance and monthly notices, etc.), our group guidelines were not publicly visible. I see no reason to make them visible now. 
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

p.s. In order to temporarily rectify this situation, I removed the content from our group guidelines notice because unfortunately, there was no way to remove the "active" checkmark. I had to cut and paste the content into a separate document for temporary saving.

So my second request is that it should be possible to have a Guidelines notice and put it in and out of use temporarily by unchecking "active."
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Duane
 

Maybe visibility of Guidelines could be added to the Settings page in the Privacy section? Or have the tab/button follow the Visibility choice of the archives (only show for public groups)?

Duane


 

I think it should be on the notice page, right with the notice itself. Also, we need to be able to uncheck the 'active' button, as with the other notice types.

J

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 23, 2017, at 3:42 AM, Duane <txpigeon@gmail.com> wrote:

Maybe visibility of Guidelines could be added to the Settings page in the Privacy section? Or have the tab/button follow the Visibility choice of the archives (only show for public groups)?

Duane


--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

Also, why does the date last updated appear at the bottom of the guidelines page? Is this necessary, or can it be made optional?
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Duane
 

I doubt that the "last updated" date is necessary, but I like having it. It probably won't be noticed by most folks, but those that try to keep up will appreciate it.

Duane


 

I'd prefer not to have it and would request that it be made optional. :-)

J

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 24, 2017, at 4:25 PM, Duane <txpigeon@gmail.com> wrote:

I doubt that the "last updated" date is necessary, but I like having it. It probably won't be noticed by most folks, but those that try to keep up will appreciate it.

Duane


--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Sarah k Alawami
 

I'm someone who is so used to using dates things were modified and last accessed in my works sited, so for me I would like to see the date something was last changed. Gives me a good feeling to know things are changed and or refreshed as times and policies of lists change.

On Sep 24, 2017, at 4:44 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@gmail.com> wrote:

I'd prefer not to have it and would request that it be made optional. :-)

J

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 24, 2017, at 4:25 PM, Duane <txpigeon@gmail.com> wrote:

I doubt that the "last updated" date is necessary, but I like having it. It probably won't be noticed by most folks, but those that try to keep up will appreciate it.

Duane



--
J



Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu



 

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 08:39 pm, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
so for me I would like to see the date something was last changed.
Are you talking about all files, etc.? Because that is not the case now.
 
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Duane
 

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 08:41 pm, J_Catlady wrote:


Are you talking about all files, etc.? Because that is not the case now.
Since it's no longer possible to upload files with duplicate names and all of my files show the date they were uploaded, that would be the date of last update/revision. I haven't found a place, other than photos, that doesn't have the most recent change date. Unfortunately, it's still possible to upload photos with a duplicate name, so I have to check if there is more than one with a specific name and compare them.

Duane


 

That's interesting. I was totally unaware of that. Still, I think the "last updated" is sitting at the bottom of the notice like a fish out of water. It looks like it doesn't belong. 

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 10:50 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 08:41 pm, J_Catlady wrote:

>
> Are you talking about all files, etc.? Because that is not the case now.
>

Since it's no longer possible to upload files with duplicate names and all of my files show the date they were uploaded, that would be the date of last update/revision.  I haven't found a place, other than photos, that doesn't have the most recent change date.  Unfortunately, it's still possible to upload photos with a duplicate name, so I have to check if there is more than one with a specific name and compare them.

Duane





--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Sarah k Alawami
 

Well date changed could be a good thign in the guidelines as what if a person outside saw that, they made you aware of that for some reason and you were not the one that made the change, someone else did. Now, I'm not sure what mods have in terms of list access, but those are my thoughts with not enough coffee in me yet.

On Sep 24, 2017, at 10:57 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

That's interesting. I was totally unaware of that. Still, I think the "last updated" is sitting at the bottom of the notice like a fish out of water. It looks like it doesn't belong. 

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 10:50 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 08:41 pm, J_Catlady wrote:

>
> Are you talking about all files, etc.? Because that is not the case now.
>

Since it's no longer possible to upload files with duplicate names and all of my files show the date they were uploaded, that would be the date of last update/revision.  I haven't found a place, other than photos, that doesn't have the most recent change date.  Unfortunately, it's still possible to upload photos with a duplicate name, so I have to check if there is more than one with a specific name and compare them.

Duane





--
J
 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu



 

I mainly just want to know if the public access can be made optional. 
J

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
Well date changed could be a good thign in the guidelines as what if a person outside saw that, they made you aware of that for some reason and you were not the one that made the change, someone else did. Now, I'm not sure what mods have in terms of list access, but those are my thoughts with not enough coffee in me yet.
On Sep 24, 2017, at 10:57 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

That's interesting. I was totally unaware of that. Still, I think the "last updated" is sitting at the bottom of the notice like a fish out of water. It looks like it doesn't belong. 

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 10:50 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 08:41 pm, J_Catlady wrote:

>
> Are you talking about all files, etc.? Because that is not the case now.
>

Since it's no longer possible to upload files with duplicate names and all of my files show the date they were uploaded, that would be the date of last update/revision.  I haven't found a place, other than photos, that doesn't have the most recent change date.  Unfortunately, it's still possible to upload photos with a duplicate name, so I have to check if there is more than one with a specific name and compare them.

Duane





--
J
 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu




--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Sarah k Alawami
 

I'm sure it can, and I like the idea. We'll see if the person making changes agrees, or at least can implement this so we can give this a try.

Take care all.

On Sep 25, 2017, at 10:31 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I mainly just want to know if the public access can be made optional. 
J

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
Well date changed could be a good thign in the guidelines as what if a person outside saw that, they made you aware of that for some reason and you were not the one that made the change, someone else did. Now, I'm not sure what mods have in terms of list access, but those are my thoughts with not enough coffee in me yet.
On Sep 24, 2017, at 10:57 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

That's interesting. I was totally unaware of that. Still, I think the "last updated" is sitting at the bottom of the notice like a fish out of water. It looks like it doesn't belong. 

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 10:50 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 08:41 pm, J_Catlady wrote:

>
> Are you talking about all files, etc.? Because that is not the case now.
>

Since it's no longer possible to upload files with duplicate names and all of my files show the date they were uploaded, that would be the date of last update/revision.  I haven't found a place, other than photos, that doesn't have the most recent change date.  Unfortunately, it's still possible to upload photos with a duplicate name, so I have to check if there is more than one with a specific name and compare them.

Duane





-- 
J
 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu








-- 
J
 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu



 

Hi All,

I have changed the group guidelines to only be visible to subscribers. I have not added an active checkbox, because it doesn't seem to me that guidelines are something you would turn on and off on a regular basis. 

Thanks,
Mark

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
I'm sure it can, and I like the idea. We'll see if the person making changes agrees, or at least can implement this so we can give this a try.

Take care all.

On Sep 25, 2017, at 10:31 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I mainly just want to know if the public access can be made optional. 
J

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
Well date changed could be a good thign in the guidelines as what if a person outside saw that, they made you aware of that for some reason and you were not the one that made the change, someone else did. Now, I'm not sure what mods have in terms of list access, but those are my thoughts with not enough coffee in me yet.
On Sep 24, 2017, at 10:57 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

That's interesting. I was totally unaware of that. Still, I think the "last updated" is sitting at the bottom of the notice like a fish out of water. It looks like it doesn't belong. 

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 10:50 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 08:41 pm, J_Catlady wrote:

>
> Are you talking about all files, etc.? Because that is not the case now.
>

Since it's no longer possible to upload files with duplicate names and all of my files show the date they were uploaded, that would be the date of last update/revision.  I haven't found a place, other than photos, that doesn't have the most recent change date.  Unfortunately, it's still possible to upload photos with a duplicate name, so I have to check if there is more than one with a specific name and compare them.

Duane





-- 
J
 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu








-- 
J
 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu




 

Great, thanks! I would still (mildly) lobby for a checkbox so that the guidelines can "undergo maintenance" once in awhile. But no biggie.:)
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

Mark,

I have changed the group guidelines to only be visible to subscribers.
I disagree with this change.

It makes it difficult for a group with Restricted membership to let prospective members know what the rules will be if they join the group. I don't want to make the whole of the Wiki public for just that page, nor all of Messages certainly.

Having the Guidelines be public seemed like the perfect solution. I doesn't make sense to me that a group's guidelines would contain any private information.

The Pending member notification is almost good enough for this, but even for this the person must make the decision to apply for membership before they are told the rules they'll be expected to follow. Seems a little like bait-and-switch to me.

(And, of course, having to keep a second copy of the guidelines in the Pending notice would violate J's abhorrence for maintaining multiple copies - not that I'm actually very concerned by that issue).

Shal

--
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum


 

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 6:18 PM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

> I have changed the group guidelines to only be visible to subscribers.

I disagree with this change.

It makes it difficult for a group with Restricted membership to let prospective members know what the rules will be if they join the group. I don't want to make the whole of the Wiki public for just that page, nor all of Messages certainly.

That's a good point. J, what are the reasons you'd like the guidelines to be private?

Thanks,
Mark 


 

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 06:18 pm, Shal Farley wrote:
I doesn't make sense to me that a group's guidelines would contain any private information.
Tell that to the groups whose guidelines DO contain private information and have been relying on that. If it's going to be public, just let me know and I'll remove the private info.

Now that it's private, I've restored it to its former state. If it can be an option, I'll check the box. It was a shock to find out that it had suddenly become public. 
 
--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 06:52 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
J, what are the reasons you'd like the guidelines to be private?
I'm responding to these in order. One particular thing in our group was the signature below the guidelines, consisting of the entire administrative team for my group. That information should not be public. There are other, more intimate ways of phrasing things that I would leave out or re-word if the guidelines had to be public. There are details that I would leave out, and those details need to be included. Making the guidelines public is a deal-breaker for me. I would have to create a completely separate document that I would have to send out separately, and all the convenience of having a guideline entity at all would be down the drain.

At minimum, please make the visibility a group option.

Thanks for your consideration.

--
J

 

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu