Topics

locked I always want copies of my own messages

Hi All,

As you know, there's the profile checkbox to receive your own messages. All that does right now is trick Gmail (and some other services) so show you your own message. The checkbox is checked by default.

Regardless of whether the checkbox is checked, if you're on digest, you still see your own messages in the digest. If you're on single, we still send the message to you, regardless of the setting.

Should that change? If you uncheck the box, should you not see your messages in digests? Should I not send the message to you in single mode either?

Thanks,
Mark

vickie <vickie_00@...>

I am  in favor of :
 Regardless of whether the checkbox is checked, if you're on digest, you still see your own messages in the digest. If you're on single, we still send the message to you, regardless of the setting.

Vickie

To: beta@groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 12:32 PM
Subject: [beta] I always want copies of my own messages

Hi All,

As you know, there's the profile checkbox to receive your own messages. All that does right now is trick Gmail (and some other services) so show you your own message. The checkbox is checked by default.

Should that change? If you uncheck the box, should you not see your messages in digests? Should I not send the message to you in single mode either?

Thanks,
Mark

YES! I don't care about Digest (I would have to think about it - may be different), but for Single, please change it!

When there's a box saying "Do x," and I leave it unchecked, my assumption is that you will not do x. Granted, there is "logic" here (as Shal will undoubtedly point out;), since the box says "always," and "not always" does not mean "never." But I would like it to mean "never" (and that the word "always" should go away). As it is, I think the box is confusing if not downright misleading.

The box has had me scratching my head for months now. I originally had the box unchecked, and was (happily) not receiving my own messages. Later I created a separate account with the box checked (this may be a coincidence) and suddenly, the system started sending me own messages in the account with the box unchecked, and not in the account with the box checked. It is completely reversed, and has stayed that way ever since.

This was not high on my priorities, so although I've mentioned the issue once or twice here, I'd let it go. I'm glad you're getting to his.

J

Steph Mathews <smathews@...>

I think that it is fine as is.  I like getting my own copies of messages that I send regardless.  Steph

Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 11:32 AM

Hi All,

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I would always want copies of my own posts, for any one of many reasons.  I may be saving the messages from a specific thread in a folder if I'm getting individual messages.  I want to make sure my message went through if I'm responding from my email client rather than the G.io website, so when I see it arrive in my Inbox I know it went through.  If I'm on digest I want to see the whole thread developing, not have gaps where I responded.  For me, I always want to get copies of my posts.

Best,

Mark Bielecki

If you want the copies, I think the proposed change doesn't affect you. I think this is about providing the option not to receive them.
J

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 10, 2016, at 2:56 PM, Mark Bielecki via Groups.io <msb05001@...> wrote:

Hi Mark,

I would always want copies of my own posts, for any one of many reasons.  I may be saving the messages from a specific thread in a folder if I'm getting individual messages.  I want to make sure my message went through if I'm responding from my email client rather than the G.io website, so when I see it arrive in my Inbox I know it went through.  If I'm on digest I want to see the whole thread developing, not have gaps where I responded.  For me, I always want to get copies of my posts.

Best,

Mark Bielecki

Mark,

Should that change? If you uncheck the box, should you not see your
messages in digests? Should I not send the message to you in single mode
either?
Unchecked should not be changed to mean that.

If that functionality is desired, it should be a different control. Or the control needs at least three states.

o Send me my messages, don't change the Message-ID field
o Send me my messages, rewrite the Message-ID field
o Don't send me my messages, don't change the Message-ID field

Where the first two are the existing cases (unchecked and checked, respectively) and the third is the proposed functionality.

I'd recommend the same behavior for both Digests and Individual (send or don't send, per the control).

-- Shal

Nightowl >8#

No matter what, I always want copies of my own messages.
I have the box checked, is that enough?

Thanks,

Brenda

Brenda,

No matter what, I always want copies of my own messages.
I have the box checked, is that enough?
Yes.

I'm sure that even if Mark changes the control, or adds a control, to include an option to not receive your own messages, he'll do it in a way that preserves your existing setting.

-- Shal

rajmund <brajmund2000@...>

Hi Mark,
In my view, if the box is unchecked, like for myself, it should be unchecked, regardless. Or, have 2 check boxes, 1 for each setting.

Sent from a BrailleNote

----- Original Message -----
To: beta@groups.io
Date sent: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 09:32:49 -0800

Hi All,

As you know, there's the profile checkbox to receive your own messages. All
that does right now is trick Gmail (and some other services) so show you
your own message. The checkbox is checked by default.

Regardless of whether the checkbox is checked, if you're on digest, you
still see your own messages in the digest. If you're on single, we still
send the message to you, regardless of the setting.

Should that change? If you uncheck the box, should you not see your
messages in digests? Should I not send the message to you in single mode
either?

Thanks,
Mark