moderated Hide "Sent from my "

Benoît Dumeaux

The message "Sent from my iPhone", "Sent from..." could be hide?
To my opinion it's publicity.

--
Dreadaxe

Duane

I think it should be treated as any other ad inserted by various programs (usually anti-virus or free email) and deleted. This has been brought up before: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/2055335

Duane

I don't know if it's the same, because 'sent from my iPhone' is simply the default auto-sig. You see it in your draft and can delete. I've never bothered, but I know others who have changed it to 'so-and-so [their name] mobile.' The other ads are different because they're inserted non-transparently and after the draft. I'm not sure, but I don't think users have any control over them or even know they're being inserted. So it's entirely appropriate for groups.io to remove those,

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 24, 2017, at 7:43 AM, Duane <txpigeon@gmail.com> wrote:

I think it should be treated as any other ad inserted by various programs (usually anti-virus or free email) and deleted. This has been brought up before: https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/2055335

I also find the 'sent from my iPhone' auto sig useful because it helps explain away autocorrect typos. In fact, many people have changed it to things like.'sent from my iPhone complete with random typos' . I have reported the Avast(sp?) ad as one of the ones needing removal, but I don't think removing the iPhone sig would be appropriate (or even possible, assuming it's just a signature).

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 09:12 am, J_Catlady wrote:

I don't think users have any control over them
All of them that I'm aware of can be removed/disabled in the setup portion of the program that inserts them. To me, those inserted by phones and other devices are just as annoying, if not more so. In fact, anyone on my groups that uses them is moderated until they learn to get rid of them.

Duane

Really, moderated because of the iPhone tag line? I actually find it helpful to know, for example, whether someone is replying from their iPhone vs their computer.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 24, 2017, at 10:32 AM, Duane <txpigeon@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 09:12 am, J_Catlady wrote:

I don't think users have any control over them
All of them that I'm aware of can be removed/disabled in the setup portion of the program that inserts them. To me, those inserted by phones and other devices are just as annoying, if not more so. In fact, anyone on my groups that uses them is moderated until they learn to get rid of them.

I think it used to matter, when messages sent from a phone were composed on a tiny screen with poor resolution. It was a way of saying, "Excuse my mistakes, this is a quick reply on an ill-suited device." With the size and quality of the phone screens these days, I find it simply to be the person saying, "I am too lazy to take the time to compose a proper message so I am just going to blame it on my phone."

The only exception that I take with Duane's policy is that it really only creates more work for him.

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 01:41 pm, Mark wrote:
With the size and quality of the phone screens these days,
The size of the screen doesn't mitigate so-called autocorrect. ;)

Bob Bellizzi

I love it!  Far too often, members complain that they "don't know how to xxxxxxx".  For the upteenth time we publish how to and guess what? They simply are too lazy to bother.
I also think that those who don't check messages, at least most of the time, prior to hitting send so have their goof ups left in the archive for other's to wonder, over the years how someone could possibly send such a communication.

Bob Bellizzi

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 01:56 pm, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
those who don't check messages, at least most of the time, prior to hitting send so have their goof ups left in the archive for other's to wonder, over the years how someone could possibly send such a communication.
Speaking of "such a communication," care to insert a verb into that phrase? :D

Blaming it on autocorrect just means that the sender is too busy (lazy) to be bothered with proof-reading before hitting send. That is an acceptable excuse when you sending someone a text message, but not when you are composing an email.

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 01:41 pm, Mark wrote:
With the size and quality of the phone screens these days,
The size of the screen doesn't mitigate so-called autocorrect. ;)

Maybe. But none of this has to do with "sent from my iPhone," which I think is in a different logical category from the antivirus ads (etc.), and which I find helpful.

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 2:27 PM, Mark via Groups.Io <markrecktenwald@...> wrote:
Blaming it on autocorrect just means that the sender is too busy (lazy) to be bothered with proof-reading before hitting send. That is an acceptable excuse when you sending someone a text message, but not when you are composing an email.

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 01:41 pm, Mark wrote:
With the size and quality of the phone screens these days,
The size of the screen doesn't mitigate so-called autocorrect. ;)

Donald Hellen

Mark,

It still matters. Some of us choose to use the small screen Androids
(think Galaxy S3). I actually have a tag line at the end of my emails
sent from my phone about that. I don't usually make mistakes but have
made a few.

With aging eyes it is easy to miss something on a small screen. I'm
not interested in subsidizing a phone over several years so I buy mine
outright and use a prepaid carrier (Boost) and pay less than 1/3 of
what most pay every month for unlimited talk and text, and 2.5 gig of
data, which I never go over. I'll stay with the smaller screen.

It's not safe to assume everyone is using the same sized screen as you
are, just as I can't assume everyone is using a state of the art
Windows OS, Linux OS, or the latest MAC OS. There are plenty of people
out there still using Windows XP. Not a good idea, of course.

Donald

On Thu, 24 Aug 2017 19:31:56 +0000 (UTC), "Mark via Groups.Io"
<markrecktenwald=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I think it used to matter, when messages sent from a phone were composed on a tiny screen with poor resolution. It was a way of saying, "Excuse my mistakes, this is a quick reply on an ill-suited device." With the size and quality of the phone screens these days, I find it simply to be the person saying, "I am too lazy to take the time to compose a proper message so I am just going to blame it on my phone."
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who
speak it. --George Orwell

Duane

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 02:36 pm, J_Catlady wrote:

none of this has to do with "sent from my iPhone," which I think is in a
different logical category from the antivirus ads (etc.)
To me, they're all ads that don't need repeating ad nauseam.

Mark, it is a bit more work initially, but everyone on my groups has learned how to remove it. Most weren't even aware it was being added and appreciate knowing.

Duane

I find them helpful at best and harmless at worst.

And this is of course just my opinion, but I find the idea of putting someone on moderation because they haven't removed it absolutely abhorrent. Group members have enough legitimate things to worry about paying attention to in group guidelines. I would never dream of moderating someone for something like this, nor caring or complaining about anyone's typos (or punctuation errors - which, ironically, abounded in one of the complaining messages in this very thread).

Who cares? People should be civilized and adhere to important group guidelines. Groups.io should remove offensive "Avast antivirus" ads and the like. Members should be free to set their own signatures as they see fit, including whether or not they want to include the (sometimes helpful) fact that they're responding from an iPhone.

I'm done with this.

Hi All,

It's always been on my todo list to automatically remove those lines, I just haven't had a chance to do so. I guess I didn't think that removing them would be controversial. So perhaps I'll continue prioritizing other things and act like that was my plan all along. :-)

Mark

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 2:55 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
[...]

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 03:00 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It's always been on my todo list to automatically remove those lines ... perhaps I'll continue prioritizing other things and act like that was my plan all along. :-)
Haha.:)

Seriously, though: remove which lines? What if someone has changed it to "sent from my iPhone with assorted typos"? Will you remove those too, or just the vanilla "sent from my iPhone"?

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 3:02 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 03:00 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
It's always been on my todo list to automatically remove those lines ... perhaps I'll continue prioritizing other things and act like that was my plan all along. :-)
Haha.:)

Seriously, though: remove which lines? What if someone has changed it to "sent from my iPhone with assorted typos"? Will you remove those too, or just the vanilla "sent from my iPhone"?

I would have only removed the default 'sent from my iPhone' line. If someone had changed it, I would assume they really wanted it to be a part of the message. If it's the default, I would guess that a large percentage of people don't care about it/just never bothered to figure out how to get rid of it.

Mark

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 03:04 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I would have only remove
I like that phrasing. ;)
In any case, I humbly request that they be left in. I think they're on an entirely different plane from the antivirus ads.

Sarah k Alawami

I agree. My email signature when I write from my phone says

Sent from aquamail

But I can't in my case remove it as I'm using the free version and right now I don't want to pay for an email program on my phone if I only have 1 account on there that I'm  checking every day, or at least trying to check every day. Lol!

I do agree that putting someone on moderation because they have the "sent from my [insert device] is ridiculous and brakes the personality of the person and email. I'm not saying it right, but I hope I'm still understood.