moderated "Find or Create a Group" search bug, or I think it is #bug

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

When one goes to the NVDA Group Home Page one sees a subgroup called devlearning with the e-mail address devlearning@nvda.groups.io

as well as two other subgroups.  However, if you search using "Find or Create a Group" on devlearning it returns nothing and if you search on NVDA it returns 16 different options, but none of which include the subgroups.

It seems to me that subgroups need to be included when someone is doing this type of search.
--
Brian  - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)
    ~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's

Hi,

In principle, I agree, as I’m in a similar situation with Win10 forum where there is a subgroup designed for Windows Insiders, and I’m sure others have subgroups that should be listed in public directory.

Cheers,

Joseph

as well as two other subgroups.  However, if you search using "Find or Create a Group" on devlearning it returns nothing and if you search on NVDA it returns 16 different options, but none of which include the subgroups.

It seems to me that subgroups need to be included when someone is doing this type of search.
--
Brian  - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's

            Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe

Sarah k Alawami

I do agree as well. Although doesn't one in theory need to be a member of theeparent group in order to join the child group as it were? I could be wrong I know this was discussed this week on this or the manager group I'm a part of.

Still though, the child groups should in theory need to be in the search results to help users find them.

Take care and be blessed.

On Aug 18, 2017, at 10:17 AM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

[...]

Now I'll go "meta," but it is related.

It really doesn't matter whether one has to be a member of the parent group or not simply because were one to try to join a subgroup, and membership in the parent group is required, I'd presume the user would get an error message to that effect.

But, subgroups as they are implemented on Groups.io are complete dead zones for a reason:  virtually no one knows they exist unless they happened to be members of the parent group when they were created and joined then.  Even then they tend to be dead zones because they are not presented hierarchically on the Topics or Messages pages of the parent group, encouraging click through to further explore or engage.

Until or unless Groups.io adopts a display mechanism where those who routinely interact with a parent group are also routinely reminded that subgroups both exist and that they can get to them in a flash from where they're reading the main group they will continue to remain the dead ends that every one I've ever joined has essentially remained.
--
Brian  - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)
    ~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's
            Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe

Jeremy H

Had a quick look - as a a non-member of NVDA, I don't see the subgroup on its homepage.

And in looking at search results, it seems to be looking at group title/e-mail address and description (as an aside, it is interesting how verbose or succinct some of these are), based on what I've seen returned: which is what I think I'd expect. Don't know if there's any description of how search works anywhere.

Given how subgroups work, I wouldn't expect to find one directly, only through its parent main group. I would suggest that if a group has a subgroup that is sufficiently distinct that it should be be able to be found directly, or together with the main group, then something should be put in the group description.

Jeremy H

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 04:25 pm, Jeremy Harrison wrote:
 I would suggest that if a group has a subgroup that is sufficiently distinct that it should be be able to be found directly then something should be put in the group description.
Thinking further on this, maybe (probably) such a sub group should be a goup in its own right.