locked A few #suggestion

Just some thoughts I had this morning:

  • Polls should have the option of identifying who voted for which option
    using a unique identifier. This would allow for things like sign-up and
    tracking polls where the voter needs to be visible to mods and/or other
    members.
  • When wikis are made public, non-members shouldn't be able to view the
    profiles of the contributors.
  • On groups where new member messages are moderated, there should be an
    option to moderate their file, photo, wiki, database, etc. contributions as
    well. They could also be blocked from contributing to these areas entirely
    until they've been removed from moderation.
  • Recent Photos shouldn't include tiny images, like smilies, which look
    awful when blown up.
  • The buttons for newly-added features should have a way of distinguishing
    themselves from existing ones in the navigation list. This could be as
    simple as swapping the rollover colour for the normal one or changing the
    colour of the border. The change could last for a few days or for X number
    of visits.
  • The window of the posting box should scroll down when you reach the
    bottom of it.
  • And a post preview option would be nice as well.

Thanks for listening....

whofanvidme,

Great list!

o On groups where new member messages are moderated, there should be an
option to moderate their file, photo, wiki, database, etc. contributions
as well. They could also be blocked from contributing to these areas
entirely until they've been removed from moderation.
This I particularly agree with.

Ideally one could hope for group moderation policy and member overrides for each area, paralleling the existing message moderation. At the other extreme maybe a "web" moderation mechanism that covers all the web tools but is otherwise modelled after message moderation.

Separate from that, I'd also request moderator Notifications for new content added to each web area. Add those to the five Notification check boxes moderators already have. These would be useful in most of my groups, where I'd probably not moderate (most) web tools, but would at least like to be notified by email so that I can go check what's been added. Post-facto moderation.

-- Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

vickie <vickie_00@...>

 >  o  On groups where new member messages are moderated, there should be an
>    option to moderate their file, photo, wiki, database, etc. contributions
>    as well. They could also be blocked from contributing to these areas
>    entirely until they've been removed from moderation.

This I particularly agree with

Shal would this request apply  to every member or  can   set  as needed to individual member

I would also agree to all the above especially if it was a moderators choice to set as needed to an individual member

It would help moderators in the event you have one member who is not able to follow group guidelines to use certain options.
Vickie

photo
click Got Ya!
private, Privte
Private | Private | Private | Private | Private | Skype: Nope | Private
Get a signature like this: Click here!

>  o  On groups where new member messages are moderated, there should be an
>    option to moderate their file, photo, wiki, database, etc. contributions
>    as well. They could also be blocked from contributing to these areas
>    entirely until they've been removed from moderation.

This I particularly agree with.

Ideally one could hope for group moderation policy and member overrides for each area, paralleling the existing message moderation. At the other extreme maybe a "web" moderation mechanism that covers all the web tools but is otherwise modelled after message moderation.

Separate from that, I'd also request moderator Notifications for new content added to each web area. Add those to the five Notification check boxes moderators already have. These would be useful in most of my groups, where I'd probably not moderate (most) web tools, but would at least like to be notified by email so that I can go check what's been added. Post-facto moderation.

-- Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Duane

On Sat, Jan 30, 2016 at 03:53 pm, vickie <vickie_00@yahoo.com> wrote:

It would help moderators in the event you have one member who is not able to
follow group guidelines to use certain options.Vickie
I could definitely use this in a couple of my groups. Most folks follow the guidelines most of the time, but there are times when folks get in a hurry or just don't care.

Duane

Vickie,

o On groups where new member messages are moderated, there should be an
option to moderate their file, photo, wiki, database, etc. contributions
as well. They could also be blocked from contributing to these areas
entirely until they've been removed from moderation.
Shal would this request apply to every member or can set as needed
to individual member
I'd like to see it be as flexible as the message moderation: a group policy plus available overrides for individual members.

That might seem like a lot of fuss-and-bother to other group owners. And Mark is sensitive to making the group controls too intricate. Maybe, like the advanced subscription options, these could be considered "Advanced" moderation options that most don't have to look into.

It would help moderators in the event you have one member who is not
able to follow group guidelines to use certain options.
Exactly.

-- Shal

vickie <vickie_00@...>

Duane,

Not every group is the same and groups differ from group to group policies.
Some members have a hard time with guidelines  and at times  can get upset about it

 Moderators have  experienced  disgruntled members   who before leaving the group   might decide to get spiteful and misuse the options.

I feel all moderators could use this option..

Vickie

> It would help moderators in the event you have one member who is not able to
> follow group guidelines to use certain options.Vickie

I could definitely use this in a couple of my groups.  Most folks follow the guidelines most of the time, but there are times when folks get in a hurry or just don't care.

Duane

vickie <vickie_00@...>

>>> I'd like to see it be as flexible as the message moderation: a group policy plus available overrides for individual members.

You have less moderation if you set those   individuals who need it.  moderation problem over.. lol
and yes   plus available overrides for individual members.

>>>That might seem like a lot of fuss-and-bother to other group owners.

I disagree. It would  relieve moderators stress trying constantly to moderate that individual member..

>>> Maybe, like the advanced subscription options, these could be considered "Advanced" moderation options that most don't have to look into.
I rather have control of setting that individual member..
Advance would set all the members if that is what you  mean..

>>>And Mark is sensitive to making the group controls too intricate.
I am not a computer programmer and I have respect for the work he does
but I don't understand how if  it creates more work for him
I thought this group is about ideas and  improvements to groups. .

Vickie

>>  o  On groups where new member messages are moderated, there should be an
>>    option to moderate their file, photo, wiki, database, etc. contributions
>>    as well. They could also be blocked from contributing to these areas
>>    entirely until they've been removed from moderation.
> Shal would this request apply  to every member or  can  set  as needed
> to individual member

I'd like to see it be as flexible as the message moderation: a group policy plus available overrides for individual members.

That might seem like a lot of fuss-and-bother to other group owners. And Mark is sensitive to making the group controls too intricate. Maybe, like the advanced subscription options, these could be considered "Advanced" moderation options that most don't have to look into.

> It would help moderators in the event you have one member who is not
> able to follow group guidelines to use certain options.

Exactly.

-- Shal

Vickie,

Maybe, like the advanced subscription options, these could be
considered "Advanced" moderation options that most don't have to look
into.
I rather have control of setting that individual member..
Advance would set all the members if that is what you mean..
No. Rather, I was imagining that where the member's page in the Members list now has "Posting Privileges" and five radio buttons, we'd now need an option like that for each of the various web services. That is, "Calendar Privileges", "Photos Privileges", "Files Privileges", "Database Privileges", and "Wiki Privileges". It could be overwhelming to some (or most) moderators.

So I thought of hiding all of those controls under an "Advanced Privileges" (or maybe "Additional Privileges") expander, much as there is an "Advanced Preferences" expander just above the Posting Privileges.

Another way out would be to wrap those all together as one "Web Feature Privileges" control, rather than have fine-grained control of each web feature separately. Not as flexible, but maybe a good practical compromise.

I firmly believe though that most moderators would find it useful to keep them separate from the member's message Posting Privileges. Using that one option to control it all might seem simpler, but I'm sure in practice it would force some moderators into undesired compromises.

And Mark is sensitive to making the group controls too intricate.
I am not a computer programmer and I have respect for the work he does
but I don't understand how if it creates more work for him
I thought this group is about ideas and improvements to groups. .
I don't think his primary concern is for his own effort, I think he's more concerned that the product might become to intricate for the majority of users/moderators.

If the general perception becomes "sure Groups.io can do amazing stuff, but who has the time to figure out all those controls" then he could lose a substantial share of his market.

-- Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

vickie <vickie_00@...>

Perhaps   in the list of members  next to the members email a drop down window with all  click or unclick  privileges  you want to control..

There wouldn't have to be a need then for any of the buttons.
I feel buttons take up too much space..

What I suggested above not only would it be self explanatory  one word above the drop down window  bold  "control member privileges" is more than enough to understand  the controls.

 The buttons can be   donate ..lol

Vickie

>> Maybe, like the advanced subscription options, these could be
>> considered "Advanced" moderation options that most don't have to look
>> into.
>
>I rather have control of setting that individual member..
>Advance would set all the members if that is what you  mean..

No. Rather, I was imagining that where the member's page in the Members list now has "Posting Privileges" and five radio buttons, we'd now need an option like that for each of the various web services. That is, "Calendar Privileges", "Photos Privileges", "Files Privileges", "Database Privileges", and "Wiki Privileges". It could be overwhelming to some (or most) moderators.

So I thought of hiding all of those controls under an "Advanced Privileges" (or maybe "Additional Privileges") expander, much as there is an "Advanced Preferences" expander just above the Posting Privileges.

Another way out would be to wrap those all together as one "Web Feature Privileges" control, rather than have fine-grained control of each web feature separately. Not as flexible, but maybe a good practical compromise.

I firmly believe though that most moderators would find it useful to keep them separate from the member's message Posting Privileges. Using that one option to control it all might seem simpler, but I'm sure in practice it would force some moderators into undesired compromises.

>> And Mark is sensitive to making the group controls too intricate.
>
> I am not a computer programmer and I have respect for the work he does
> but I don't understand how if  it creates more work for him
> I thought this group is about ideas and  improvements to groups. .

I don't think his primary concern is for his own effort, I think he's more concerned that the product might become to intricate for the majority of users/moderators.

If the general perception becomes "sure Groups.io can do amazing stuff, but who has the time to figure out all those controls" then he could lose a substantial share of his market.

-- Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Nightowl >8#

Shal wrote:>> I don't think his primary concern is for his own effort, I think he's more
concerned that the product might become to intricate for the majority of users/ moderators.<<

That's my biggest worry too.

Shal wrote:>> If the general perception becomes "sure Groups.io can do amazing stuff, but who has the time to figure out all those controls" then he could lose a substantial share of his market.<<

That's why I started thinking after reading this. What if we could create a simple "manual" or instruction page of sorts for the users? I know things are in the Wiki, but a lot of older users, like me, feel intimidated by trying to follow or use the Wiki.

I was thinking more along the lines of something simpler, i.e. a simple page of directions that can either be stored on site or e-mailed to people, that tells them how to create a membership or group, find or/and join a group, set basic mail settings, and etc.

Then, for those that want more challenges, we could create another page of directions with the more complex directions, like how to use hashtags, the hangout, add integrations, etc.

That is what I've been thinking about trying to write up even just for myself, because all the options have been a bit overwhelming to me, and I need to be able to tell people how to do what they want if they come here from Yahoo.

Unfortunately, I'm having enough trouble figuring out the simple ones, so I know I couldn't write the complex one. Maybe if you or Duane or someone helps me, we could do this?

I'd appreciate any and all feedback on this idea. Thanks!

Brenda

Duane

On the Group Managers Forum (GMF) there are some Wiki pages on a few things. If/when there are pages for most things, it wouldn't be difficult to create a pdf file that could be sent out. I'm a bit hesitant to get too busy on documentation because Mark is doing such a wonderful job of making changes that it's sometimes hard to keep up. ;>) As far as I'm concerned, if there is anything there that could be used to create Help pages for the site, it should be done, especially anything I've helped to create.

Duane
PS GMF might be a better group to discuss things like this. I think Mark would like to keep this group, beta, focused on problems and solutions with a few suggestions and wishes thrown in.

vickie <vickie_00@...>

Shal, Brenda, >>>>I was thinking more along the lines of something simpler, i.e. a simple page of directions that can either be stored on site or e-mailed to people, that tells them how to create a membership or group, find or/and join a group, set basic mail settings, and etc.

If you all decide to do this . I have images  showing step by step  how to log into  first the .io website
and all the way through joining a group. Including  profile and any issues I encountered.
My reason for taking all these images was to create an instructional blog with Q & A's also
All I have so far are the images.. arrows pointing with instructions  needs to be added to the images.

 Let me know if this is something you are interested in and you can contact me off list instead of using Beta
group to discuss this idea..

Vickie

[...]

I agree Duane, the GMF is the place to work on the idea.
I'm not talking about complex yet, anyway, just basic. I want to be able to invite people here and give them the basic info in a document that they need to join, etc.

I just responded to Shal in here so it was clear what I was suggesting.

Brenda

Nightowl >8#

Sounds like a plan, to create the how to guide. We're discussing it in GMFio now,]

Brenda

vickie <vickie_00@...>

Brenda,
I have not received any  email on the exact topics  for  a how to guide...
and I am in gmf..

 redirect, reply to   this topic there ok..

Vickie