moderated Drop Box

Jeff Kane

I want to have a sub group that is like a Drop Box.  I want anyone, even the public, to be able to send messages to the sub group.  Only members of the sub group will be able to see the message archives and they will all get the messages as they come in.

I can not figure out how to NOT moderate every message that comes in from the public.

I set this ...
Allow Non Subscribers to Post

Posts by non-subscribers will be moderated, instead of rejected.

I leave all of the moderation settings off.
Restricted Membership

Members require approval before being allowed to join the group.

Announcement Group

Only moderators are allowed to post.

Moderated

All posts require approval before being sent to the group.

New Users Moderated

Posts from new subscribers require approval.

Yet, it still asks me to moderate every post sent to that sub group.

Can I have a have a group like a Drop Box?

Jeff,

I can not figure out how to NOT moderate every message that comes in
from the public.
That ability is not available. Deliberately, I believe.

The restriction that non-member posts must be moderated is an anti-spam measure. It is there to protect your group members from an onslaught of spam should your group address get into spammer lists.

It is also there to protect the reputation of Groups.io (in the eyes of receiving email services) so that messages posted through this service are more likely to be delivered to users' inboxes than to their Spam folder.

Shal
--
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Jeff Kane

It does seem that way.  The parent has a forced check box for the Spam Control.  However, when I look at Sub Groups, there is no required check box, and it does not seem to matter what I check, it does not change things.  I have not tried every combination yet.  I t looks like the Message Policies - Allow Non Subscribers To Post forces moderation with no other options.

Was kind of hoping to use a sub group as a place to let people direct questions to the board of the club instead of using an email redirection service.  It can be done as a sub group, but it requires every message to be moderated first and that would get tedious to moderate and then reply to the inquiry and then moderate any response and ... so on.

Jeff,

Was kind of hoping to use a sub group as a place to let people direct
questions to the board of the club instead of using an email
redirection service.
I have a similar situation with my PTA group.

It sounds like we could both use an option, in subgroups, that allows non-moderated posting by parent group members.

For "outsiders" (not members of either the subgroup or the parent group) I think the restriction that their messages must be moderated is still a good idea.

It can be done as a sub group, but it requires every message to
be moderated first and that would get tedious to moderate and then
reply to the inquiry and then moderate any response and ... so on.
In practice this has not been a big issue. But the number of times a regular PTA member has emailed the board has been low, "your mileage may vary".

Shal
--

On 12 Jul 2017 at 10:18, Jeff Kane wrote:

Was kind of hoping to use a sub group as a place to let people direct
questions to the board of the club instead of using an email
redirection service.
Sorry, I haven't followed the thread from the beginning, but if you just want
non-members to be able to send unmoderated messages to the "board" of
the club, you could make them all moderators, then adjust their
notifications appropriately.

Then the single email address "groupname-owner@groups.io" will go to
all the moderators. Those messages do not go to the group, even to the
moderation queue.

By Drop Box do you mean a place to store files? The moderator solution
wouldn't address that.

--
Jim
Poston@vch-nv.us

<< Make welfare as hard to get as a building permit. >>

On 12 Jul 2017 at 11:28, Jim Poston wrote:

Then the single email address "groupname-owner@groups.io" will go to
all the moderators.
Oops! Y!G habit ....

groupname+owner@groups.io

--
Jim
Poston@vch-nv.us

Jeff Kane

Interesting thought.

I think that would go to all owners and moderators of all the sub groups also though.  Don't necessarily want that.

Also not very intuitive what the purpose of that email name is either.  It might be a bit confusing for outsiders to accept as being the right thing to do.

No, not the current concept of a drop box.  The really old one where it is a mail box that you drop things into for others to read later.  You drop things and then you can't get them back.

Jeff Kane

Also, the idea was to have an archive of the messages to the board.  Sending to owner doesn't do that either.

I did test the concept and it works as expected.  Looks like it may be able to only send to the owner/moderators of the sub group and not to all other sub groups.

On 12 Jul 2017 at 12:08, Jeff Kane wrote:

I think that would go to all owners and moderators of all the sub groups
also though.  Don't necessarily want that.
I haven't tested it with subgroups, but I believe that moderator email is
separate for each subgroup, i.e. subgroup+owner@groupname.groups.io

Also not very intuitive what the purpose of that email name is either.
It might be a bit confusing for outsiders to accept as being the right
thing to do.
Probably true, although if you put it on the home page description it would
make more sense.

No, not the current concept of a drop box.  The really old one where it
is a mail box that you drop things into for others to read later.  You
drop things and then you can't get them back.
Aha! A USPS Drop Box. Do they still have those? They must although I
can't recall seeing one right now. All I can remember are UPS or FedEx
dropboxes!

--
Jim
Poston@vch-nv.us

<< God is real, unless declared integer >>