moderated Time zones

Taffman <webmaster@...>

I'm starting to receive grumbles from my group that all posts are set to Pacific Time. Is there any way to select an alternative time zone like GMT or UTC?

Noel Leaver

> I'm starting to receive grumbles from my group that all posts are set to Pacific Time. Is there any way to select an alternative time zone like GMT or UTC?

There is an option in your account details to set the time zone you use. I have it set to "UTC (Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London)" and get postings as "BST".

As an aside, I would prefer it if postings about outages etc. gave times in UTC as well as Mark's local time.

Noel

Dave Sergeant

I am aware of that setting and have advised those complaining about
Pacific Time to set it in their account. But it would be useful if
there was an option to set the default time zone of a group for those
who never visit the web interface.

On a related matter, it would be useful for us to be able to define
date in the D/M/Y format - most dates come up as eg 2nd July but in a
number of places they appear as M/D/Y which is confusing for those
outside the USA.

Thanks
Dave

On 4 Jul 2017 at 10:49, Noel Leaver wrote:

I'm starting to receive grumbles from my group that all posts are set
Pacific Time. Is there any way to select an alternative time zone like
GMT or UTC?

There is an option in your account details to set the time zone you use.
I have it set to "UTC (Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London)" and get
postings as "BST".

As an aside, I would prefer it if postings about outages etc. gave times
in UTC as well as Mark's local time.

Noel

http://davesergeant.com

Noel Leaver

I am aware of that setting and have advised those complaining about
Pacific Time to set it in their account. But it would be useful if there was
an option to set the default time zone of a group for those who never visit
the web interface.

Our group, while mainly UK based, has members spread around the world who
want to see their local time - they would not want their time setting
overridden and inconsistent between groups.

I suggest putting something in your group welcome message to encourage
people to set their time zone appropriately.

On a related matter, it would be useful for us to be able to define date
in the D/M/Y format - most dates come up as eg 2nd July but in a number of
places they appear as M/D/Y which is confusing for those outside the USA.

It would be logical to be able to choose this at the account level like time
zone. And support International/Scandinavian format as well (Y/M/D).

Noel

Taffman <webmaster@...>

I agree that would be a very useful feature.
Problem would then become how to update existing users who joined before this feature was introduced?

It would be logical to be able to choose this at the account level
like time zone. And support International/Scandinavian format as
well (Y/M/D).

Noel
I have in the past strongly advocated for the ISO 8601 date and time display standard. That is YYYY-MM-DDT23:59:59 . If the time is in UTC, a Z is added after the time without a space. This standard uses a 24 hour clock and uses zero-padded single digit increments. The great advantage to this is that the sort to chronological is a simple numerical sort. If there is a need for a less accurate date, the smaller increments to the right can be omitted.

In this case the time zone would be either local time or would be indicated by Z for UTC or the offset from UTC.

More information :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601
https://www.iso.org/standard/40874.html

This has been discussed in the past and may be on Mark's to-do list in one form or another.

Dano

Dave,

But it would be useful if there was an option to set the default time
zone of a group for those who never visit the web interface.
If they never visit the web interface I don't think it would matter what time zone is set for them there.

And when they do register or log-in on the website for the first time their timezone will be automatically detected and set for them.

Shal

Dave,

I stand corrected. From January this year:
"A couple of months ago, on account creation I started setting people's
timezones to pacific time as a default (except for enterprise groups,
which have their own default timezone setting)."
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/12587

I missed that.

Shal

Dave Power

Ok, I understand that is what "is", but how do we get a request submitted for a change? Since it is available for enterprise groups, it should not be too much of an effort to make it available for the Pro groups. It seems this could be, or is, a problem for many users.

Dave,

Ok, I understand that is what "is", but how do we get a request
submitted for a change?
Oops, one too many Daves - Sergeant and Power
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/5447479#14260

This group is the official "suggestion box", so I think we've been re-submitting the request by virtue of your topic "Set calendar time zone".
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/7721120

It seems this could be, or is, a problem for many users.
I agree. I thought the automatic setting was the way to go, but maybe there were technical problems with that. Here's my earlier take on the this idea (part of a somewhat related topic, so easily missed).
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/topic/5804913#2163

Shal