locked Bugfix Friday #changelog

Bug fixing today:

  • Fixed an issue with invites where the invite was sent to an email address and the user had registered with the same email address but the capitalization of the email address wasn't the same. (Needed to do a case-insensitive compare).
  • Fixed a couple of issues involving thread renaming and merging, where one of the databases was not being updated correctly.
  • Fixed an issue with the automated Slack member syncing system, where if you had set syncing to 'Combine', it was only doing half of the job.

Have a good weekend!

Mark

Judy F.

Was this ‘invite’ for an invitation to join the group or the ‘invite’ that is for a calendar entry?  This is what I’m talking about by using the same terminology for two totally different things.  I don’t know which one it is for.  I discussed this with Shal in case you are wondering what I’m talking about.

Thanks,

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

On 3 Apr 2015 at 21:01, J. Faulkner wrote:

> Was this ‘invite’ for an invitation to join the group or the ‘invite’ that is for a calendar
> entry?  This is what I’m talking about by using the same terminology for two totally
> different things.  I don’t know which one it is for.

I think it's apparent that it's not a calendar entry because the discussion is about a single email address.

I can understand that you might have a problem with the same word being used for differenet features, but I think in this context it's pretty clear which one it is.

--
Jim
Poston@...

<<               'A good traveler leaves no track.' -LAO TZU-                >>

Judy F.

Jim, why couldn’t it have been a calendar invite and the problem was with one email address?  You are missing my point, using the same word for two different things is confusing especially if an owner/moderator are new and aren’t familiar with all of these discussions.

That’s like saying I like coffee and I also like coffee.  I am using the word coffee for tea also.

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

On 3 Apr 2015 at 19:25, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> Bug fixing today:

> *   Fixed an issue with invites where the invite was sent to an email address and the

>     user had registered with the same email address but the capitalization of the email

>     address wasn't the same. (Needed to do a case-insensitive compare).

On 3 Apr 2015 at 21:01, J. Faulkner wrote:

> Was this ‘invite’ for an invitation to join the group or the ‘invite’ that is for a calendar

> entry?  This is what I’m talking about by using the same terminology for two totally

> different things.  I don’t know which one it is for.

I think it's apparent that it's not a calendar entry because the discussion is about a single email address.

I can understand that you might have a problem with the same word being used for differenet features, but I think in this context it's pretty clear which one it is.

--

Jim

Poston@...

<<               'A good traveler leaves no track.' -LAO TZU-                >>

Judy,

You are missing my point, using the same word for two different things is confusing
especially if an owner/moderator are new and arent familiar with all of these
discussions.
While I'm very much in favor of keeping the language of Groups.io clear and unconfusing, I feel you've picked a poor example.

I think Jim's right about the context being clear; further, I think that new users and new mods/owners will pick up the context clues very easily because the two usages are so separate in application. Moreover, in each usage "invite" or "invitation" feels like the right word to describe that function.

To put the consideration the other way around, can we find a word other than "invite" or "invitation" that would be less confusing when a new user is faced with the Edit Event page and trying to understand its options? That would be my criteria for choosing a different word.

Thats like saying I like coffee and I also like coffee. I am using the
word coffee for tea also.
No, I think your complaint is more similar to complaining that the same word, "door", is used to describe the door on your car and the door on your house, and that we need a different word for them. I don't think we do.

-- Shal