locked Attachments

Hi All,

I've had a request for a setting where attachments are automatically
deleted after a specified time. I think that seems like a reasonable
request, especially since there's a limit to how much space each group
has for attachments/files/photos/etc. Is there anything else I should
consider when thinking about this feature?

Also, somewhat related, is the following: If you compose an HTML
message with a photo in it (not just as an attachment), often what
happens is that when someone else replies to that message (and does
not trim the quoted message), the photo is included in the reply. I
have seen this build up over multiple replies, so that you end up with
5-10 copies of the same photo in a thread (and therefore in the
Emailed Photos folder). This is not a good experience for many
reasons. I don't know the best way to improve this. One solution is
for me to try to figure out if an attachment is referenced by a quoted
part, and if it is, to delete it from the message. But if you view the
quoted part, you'll end up with broken image links. Or I could
auto-trim the quoted part, using the same rules that I use to collapse
quoted parts on the web site, and delete any referenced attachments at
the same time. Thoughts?

Steph <hsrsp@...>

I honestly don't think attachments sent with emails and or pictures added to the message body should be saved on the website because it eats up space anyway. I was thinking maybe use that folder for Group's cover photo's? That way a group owner can go through ones they've previously used and choose one. That's my thought on this.

[...]

Easily monitor multiple email accounts & access them with a click.
Visit http://www.inbox.com/notifier and check it out!

Judy F.

Is there any way in place of the photos you could have a link to that photo so we could at least get to the photo?
Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

[...]

We have older members who may be able to imbed an image but not be able to figure out how to make a formal attachment. (Yeah, digital one-trick ponies.) The list owner or moderator needs to be able to move some of those attachment files to regular photo folders and defeat the automagic deletion for that file. Otherwise, 60 days is probably plenty. Is there a way to let the small attachments (maybe 20 Kb or smaller) go through and NOT be sent to the Attachments folder? Then those that are parts of signatures could go with the message, or even go away. **Although** some may need to be moved to photo folders if it's a small image that's pertinent to the discussion.

I'm also assuming that owners/moderators can go in and delete those monster images that get attached by those guys who just don't understand file sizes. We had a 10 Mb attachment on one group a few weeks ago that annoyed a number of people. It may also require replacing a resized version of the same image

If you compose an HTML message with a photo in it (not just as an attachment), often what happens is that when someone else replies to that message (and does not trim the quoted message), the photo is included in the reply. I have seen this build up over multiple replies, so that you end up with 5-10 copies of the same photo in a thread (and therefore in the Emailed Photos folder). . . . . I don't know the best way to improve this. One solution is for me to try to figure out if an attachment is referenced by a quoted part, and if it is, to delete it from the message. But if you view the quoted part, you'll end up with broken image links. . . . . Thoughts?
If it's the same image, will it have the same file name and date? Can the system delete the latest versions of a file with the same date and name? As for images in quoted, I think users just need to understand that quoted text strips images. All they have to do to see the image is click on thread view and scroll down a little.

Dano

Mark,

I've had a request for a setting where attachments are automatically
deleted after a specified time. I think that seems like a reasonable
request, especially since there's a limit to how much space each group
has for attachments/files/photos/etc. Is there anything else I should
consider when thinking about this feature?
I also think there needs to be a way to prevent that for important attachments.

I think that goes along with the request to provide a way to copy an attachment into the Files section. I'd suggest that "copy" mean creating a second link to the data, not a literal copy of the data (so that the copy doesn't cost extra storage). I think that means having something like inode reference counts in Unix filesystems.

In this case the presence of the additional link(s) could prevent the attachment from disappearing from the message (no sense breaking that if the group elected to keep the file content).

Maybe, like my TiVo, there needs to be a limited duration "Undelete" list, where the (about to be permanently) deleted attachments spend some time in limbo, affording the moderator a chance to review them and recover the desired ones. I guess that's also the equivalent of Windows' Recycle bin. Or maybe that's just a bit much.

Also, somewhat related, is the following: If you compose an HTML
message with a photo in it (not just as an attachment), often what
happens is that when someone else replies to that message (and does
not trim the quoted message), the photo is included in the reply. I
have seen this build up over multiple replies, so that you end up with
5-10 copies of the same photo in a thread (and therefore in the
Emailed Photos folder). This is not a good experience for many
reasons.
If the HTML images are sourced as "cid:" references it might not be too hard to recognize that they are all the same content, discard all but one, and fixup the other references ("how hard could it be?", he says glibly). That's assuming the various email systems aren't in the habit of recoding the images when they quote them.

I've seen a recent trend towards sourcing them as "data:". Maybe it is feasible to convert them all to a common "cid:" reference to a single MIME part? I don't know if there are semantic or syntactic reasons that might be a bad idea.

Of course, if the images are external ("http:" sourced) then there isn't a storage problem at all, in either the email message or the stored attachments.

-- Shal

I also think there needs to be a way to prevent that for important attachments. . . . . .
I think that goes along with the request to provide a way to copy an attachment into the Files section. I'd suggest that "copy" mean creating a second link to the data, not a literal copy of the data (so that the copy doesn't cost extra storage). I think that means having something like inode reference counts in Unix filesystems. . . . . .
In this case the presence of the additional link(s) could prevent the attachment from disappearing from the message (no sense breaking that if the group elected to keep the file content).
Could the file move rather than copy, but carry the links along with it? Once it's out of the folder that deletes files, would it be saved indefinitely? (Yeah, I know, this sounds like a real non-tech statement.)
Dano

RS

I personally would not want that in a group.  Having it as an option seems fine, so long as groups have the choice to allow or not.  Or else make a management page where the Owner can view and select to delete various attachments manually.  Materials deleted from a post should say so, such as "content deleted due to (age/by owner/per group policy)".