moderated New editor live for everyone

Hi All,

I just pushed changes so that the new HTML editor is live for everyone for all instances on the website except for editing wiki pages (that will require a bit more work). It's definitely better than the old editor: hitting enter results in one line, instead of two. Also, if you're replying to a message and want to reply in-line, you can hit enter and the block quote is automatically broken up (I found a way Brian). And, it should handle cutting/pasting better.

This was major surgery throughout the site, and while I tested everything, please let me know if something looks weird.

I just tried to quote a message in my reply and the excerpt didn't automatically show up as it used to. How is this done now? Thanks!

It worked on about the fifth try. I must be sleep-deprived or something. ;)

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

No, I don't think you're sleep deprived.

I have had this happen on more than one occasion and I thought (and I could be mistaken) that I'd already reported it to Mark through the support e-mail.  The "select text you want quoted" then use the Reply link is not working consistently, or at least wasn't, and I have to believe still isn't.
--
Brian

       Personally, I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

             ~ Winston Churchill

Mark & All,

I just pushed changes so that the new HTML editor is live for
everyone for all instances on the website except for editing wiki
pages (that will require a bit more work).
I added a page in GMF's wiki to gather tips on using the new editor.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/wiki/Message-composition-tips-and-tricks

Corrections and additions are welcome. Comments and Questions can be directed to GMF's messages.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

It's definitely not working, and also the autosigs are disappearing, seemingly randomly.
Any chance of going back to the old editor until the bugs are worked out? Or are we still technically in beta, so anything goes? ;)

p.s. Mark, maybe you could make the new editor an "opt out" instead of an "opt in" until it settles down? That way you'd still get a lot of volunteer testers.

Hi All,

I've just pushed some fixes for selected quoting and sigs that don't appear. Please let me know if you see anything else strange.

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 9:12 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
p.s. Mark, maybe you could make the new editor an "opt out" instead of an "opt in" until it settles down? That way you'd still get a lot of volunteer testers.

Great, it's working. Thanks!

Something strange (or not): a formatting symbol often appears at the bottom left, with the word count at the far right. I don't know if these are helpful or necessary. Maybe someone can explain...

Mark Fletcher

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 9:41 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Something strange (or not): a formatting symbol often appears at the bottom left, with the word count at the far right. I don't know if these are helpful or necessary. Maybe someone can explain...

That's a quirk of the editor. I can remove that line, but then that also removes the 'handle' on the right which you can use to resize the text box. I will continue to look for a solution, as I agree that line is weird/confusing.

Mark

Benoît Dumeaux

Problem with mobile view. See screenshot.

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:48 PM, Benoît Dumeaux <benoit.dumeaux@...> wrote:
Problem with mobile view. See screenshot.
_._,_._,_
Should be fixed now. You may have to force reload the page first.

Benoît Dumeaux

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 01:03 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Should be fixed now. You may have to force reload the page first.

:-P

Ok, now it's really fixed. :-)

Benoît Dumeaux

Not exactly

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 12:07 AM, Benoît Dumeaux <benoit.dumeaux@...> wrote:
Not exactly _._,_._,_

Strange. Displays ok on my iPhone. I have removed the style select and it should now fit on your phone.

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Mark,

        I am now encountering an issue that I had not encountered before:  the inability to "backspace out" a block of selected text if and only if that selected text runs to the last character of the compose window.   For example, my signature.  If I select everything up through the 'S' in the word, "Search," and hit backspace it will delete that chunk.  The moment I span on to that last line hitting backspace will not remove anything.

        I have had this occur on groups where I have no signature and had been chalking it up to a quirk, but I'm now able to consistently replicate this behavior whether or not a signature is involved.
--
Brian
    ~ Trudy, in Jane Wagner's

Brian,

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 7:33 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

        I am now encountering an issue that I had not encountered before:  the inability to "backspace out" a block of selected text if and only if that selected text runs to the last character of the compose window.   For example, my signature.  If I select everything up through the 'S' in the word, "Search," and hit backspace it will delete that chunk.  The moment I span on to that last line hitting backspace will not remove anything.

I just upgraded the version of TinyMCE to fix another bug. I haven't been able to reproduce your bug. Can you see if the new version fixes it?

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Mark,

        On this message the issue appears to be gone.  I will continue watching and let you know if it occurs again.  If you would prefer that issues like this be identified via the support e-mail address please also let me know.  I just elected to do it here because the thread was "hot" at this time.

Brian