moderated remove "active" badge for "member notices" that are not of the automated types #suggestion

I don't think that "active" is meaningful for "member notices," yet the possibility exists to designate one, and only one, of them as the "active" message, which I think is a bit misleading and confusing. I think the badge should not be applied to anything except the automated notices (pending, welcome, etc.).

J,

I don't think that "active" is meaningful for "member notices," yet
the possibility exists to designate one, and only one, of them as the
"active" message, which I think is a bit misleading and confusing.
Agreed. In the case of "Message to Member" notices the designation as "Active" has no function. In this case it doesn't even have the effect of being a default: nothing gets filled in unless the moderator selects one of the templates from the drop-list.

I don't think we would want to change that.

That is, we could have the "Active" Message to Member used as a default and pre-fill the message Subject and Body. If that were done then for the "default" case the moderator could simply click "Send to Member". But then for any ad-hoc message the moderator would have to delete the pre-filled text. Overall, I don't think that's better.

"Message to Member" is one of at least three cases of a Member Notice which is only sent by explicit moderator action. Two others are "Invite Message" and "Direct Add Message". Those function differently: The Active message, if any, gets pre-filled, and there is no selector for choosing an alternate template. If none is Active, then the last sent text is pre-filled. Maybe these two cases should work more like "Message to Member"?

And... Maybe the "Last sent message" should be a template of its own, independently in each of the "sent by moderator" cases. It would be automatically created/updated whenever a moderator sends a message whose body doesn't match one of the existing templates.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 01:47 pm, Shal Farley wrote:
Maybe these two cases should work more like "Message to Member"?

I don't think so. They're inherently different, since there's no choice in which message to send *at the time of the action* in either of those. You choose the "active" message before doing the action, and then that message is sent automatically.

"Message to member," by contrast, has that little dropdown (the one I never realized until recently was there;) where you choose to send which one at the time you send it. The "active" badge really needs to go away for those, since the fact that there's only one implies or hints or misleads the moderator to think that you choose one preemptively (as with the other types) and then it's sent automatically.

J,

I don't think so. They're inherently different, since there's no
choice in which message to send *at the time of the action* in either
of those.
But I'm wondering if maybe there ought to be.

That is, the moderator is on the Invite (or Add) page, looking at the text. If he/she realizes at that moment that a different template would be more appropriate, wouldn't it make sense to have that dropdown list right there and allow him/her to select from it?

As it is, the mod must back out of the Invite, go over to the Settings, Member Notifications, change the "Active" selection there, and then go back over to Invite and start over. I would argue that, for these two cases at least, that "Active" should act as no more than a default, with the moderator being able to select another from that dropdown list.

Or, I'd take it the step further, and eliminate "Active" for these two (Invite Message and Direct Add Message) as well as Message to Member, and have the last sent text be the default selection. I really think these three have more in common, from a UI point of view, than any of them do with the other, automatic, notices.

On Sat, May 20, 2017 at 07:31 pm, Shal Farley wrote:
But I'm wondering if maybe there ought to be.

Maybe, but some of this I disagree with. I find the saved text from the previous invite or add distinctly annoying, and have to get rid of it every time (and once I forgot to delete it and accidentally sent the prior customized text to the next person). I'll bow out of this for now...

J, Shal,

I've removed the active display/checkbox for 'Message to Member' notices. As for invite/direct add messages, my thought was that I was going to make them act more 'normally', that is, there'd be a drop box to select one at the time of invite (the active one would be filled out automatically). But I hadn't/haven't thought through the issues with editing the existing message, or creating a new one 'on the fly' like you can do now.