moderated Capability to add PDFs or documents #suggestion

Frances

I work on a Wordpress website and I can add documents. I use Google Document Viewer format so everyone who has access can read it. On the wiki, we can add photos but not a PDF or other document. That would be a great addition. Someday!

Thanks.

Frances

I agree that the ability to add PDF files would be useful. There are some procedures that might be better and easier shared without the risk of corruption by passing along as a PDF. I'm ASSuming that these documents would be somehow checked for malicious links??

Dano

> I work on a Wordpress website and I can add documents. I use Google Document Viewer format so everyone who has access can read it. On the wiki, we can add photos but not a PDF or other document. That would be a great addition. Someday!
>
> Thanks.
> Frances

Dano,

I agree that the ability to add PDF files would be useful. There are
some procedures that might be better and easier shared without the
risk of corruption by passing along as a PDF. I'm ASSuming that these
documents would be somehow checked for malicious links??
It may not be just links.

I think the issue is similar, or identical, to the question of whether a PDF file uploaded to the Files section should be allowed to open within the browser window, or whether the user is forced to download it and open it on their own. Obviously the latter wouldn't be nearly as useful as a page in the wiki.

Opening a user-supplied file within a web page opens up some risks when the file might contains scripts (programs) that could interact with the web site itself. PDF is such a format, so the question is whether the browser's viewer is sufficiently protected against malicious content. In the arms race between functionality and security it is difficult to be certain.

Speaking of "as a page in the wiki", since opening in the browser is currently supported for PDFs in the Files section, I think this would be my suggestion. Make it simple to include in a wiki page a link that refers to a file in the File section. That avoids having a whole separate mechanism for uploading files into the Wiki.

Or perhaps have Link tool in the window offer both choices: browse and link to an existing file, or browse to a File folder then upload and link to a new file in that folder.

Either way, unless some magic were worked, you'd end up looking at a PDF in the browser's viewer, and not surrounded by the usual header, footer, and sidebars that one normally sees on Wiki pages.

Notably I think we're in uncharted territory here. Are there any examples of wiki's that support PDF content in a native way?

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Frances

I would be happy with uploading a PDF to Files and then linking to the specific file in the wiki using the Link Tool. Whatever works! I just would like a user to go to a wiki page and find everything on that page or on a link from that page.

As for examples of adding a PDF to a wiki - a Google search adding a pdf to a wiki retrieved several. National Cancer Institute wiki. MediaWiki. Wikipedia!

Wikipedia:Creation_and_usage_of_media_files

It says that "As of March 2012, the following file types may be uploaded: png, gif, jpg/jpeg, xcf, pdf, mid, ogg/ogv/oga, svg, djvu. All others are prohibited for security reasons, and pdf and djvu are intended primarily for projects like Wikisource."

Frances

Frances

Well, I now have a PDF in my wiki!

Thank you to Lena who sent me an example of linking to an uploaded PDF in Files to the wiki. So I uploaded the PDF to Files and used the URL from that page to insert into the wiki using the Link tool.

Works!

Frances

On May 4 17, at 3:36 PM, Frances <travel@...> wrote:

I would be happy with uploading a PDF to Files and then linking to the specific file in the wiki using the Link Tool. Whatever works! I just would like a user to go to a wiki page and find everything on that page or on a link from that page.

As for examples of adding a PDF to a wiki - a Google search adding a pdf to a wiki retrieved several. National Cancer Institute wiki. MediaWiki. Wikipedia!

Wikipedia:Creation_and_usage_of_media_files

It says that "As of March 2012, the following file types may be uploaded: png, gif, jpg/jpeg, xcf, pdf, mid, ogg/ogv/oga, svg, djvu. All others are prohibited for security reasons, and pdf and djvu are intended primarily for projects like Wikisource."

Frances

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

Every message in topics or hashtags you are following is emailed to you.
The first message of every new topic is also emailed to you.
You automatically follow any topics you start or reply to.

View/Reply Online (#13642) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Unfollow This Topic | New Topic
Mute #suggestion | Mute #wiki

Bob Bellizzi

BUT! Will a link in a public wiki to a file in the Files area ofa restricted group activate the file?

Bob Bellizzi

Bob Bellizzi

Just answered my own question.  You cannot open a file in a restricted group unless you are a member.

So the wiki pdf is still sticky

bob bellizzi

Frances

You can open a PDF from a file in a public group in your own group wiki. I don't expect to be able to open a file in a private group.

I guess you want a public wiki for a restricted group.

Actually I just wanted to be able to upload a PDF to my private group so that users of the group's wiki can click to open the PDF. So the workaround is good enough for me. But it would be nice to be able to upload a PDF right into the wiki! And that would work better for those who want a public wiki.

Frances

Bob,

BUT! Will a link in a public wiki to a file in the Files area ofa
restricted group activate the file?
Short answer: only if you're logged on as a member of the group.

It doesn't matter whether the group's membership is restricted or not. What matters is that while the Wiki feature has a "Public can view" setting, the files section does not.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Frances,

You can open a PDF from a file in a public group in your own group
wiki. I don't expect to be able to open a file in a private group.
No group can make its Files public, there isn't a setting for that. Wiki and Messages can be made public, but not other features as far as I know.

But it would be nice to be able to upload a PDF right into the wiki!
And that would work better for those who want a public wiki.
Or the File section could make an exception and allow access in the case of a link from that group's own public Wiki section. That might have to be a special kind of link (with a "magic cookie" in it) to avoid opening a security loophole that could expose other files.