locked Invite flow redux


 

In "questions (suggestions?) re "status" and "reason" columns in invitations"
https://groups.io/g/beta/message/5241

Ro wrote:

I really think a NOTICE needs to go to the owner/mods that the person
has accepted the invite and is awaiting approval.
Click the Subscription page on that group.
Check the "Email when there are members needing approval." box.
Click the "Save" button at the bottom.

If that was already checked, look for any place your email service or software may have put the notification (such as a spam folder). If you still can't find the notification you may be having deliverability problems with your email service.

I would suggest having a look at the Email Delivery History tab of your Subscription page for that group. But it appears that notifications are not covered by the history mechanism (that's a wish-list item of mine).

Frankly, if we send an invite, why do we need to approve? ... Approval
needs to be AUTOMATIC.
It is (unless that has broken recently). But it is also possible that the member went to the group page and clicked the "Apply For Membership To This Group" button, or used the +subscribe email command, rather than responding to your invitation.

I suppose the system could be a touch more clever, and if a user is attempting to use either of those methods, check to see if there's an outstanding invite for that user and automatically approve them. And conversely, at the time a moderator is sending invitations the system could check to see if that user is already pending approval, and automatically approve them. This action could be noted in the Invitation results page (Pending membership approved, rather than Invitation sent).



-- Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum


 

On 1/18/2016 8:45 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
I really think a NOTICE needs to go to the owner/mods that the person
has accepted the invite and is awaiting approval.
If that was already checked, look for any place your email service or software may have put the notification (such as a spam folder). If you still can't find the notification you may be having deliverability problems with your email service.
Question - why would someone need to be approved if they are responding
to an invitation? They're approving your invitation to join, so I
would assume you want them to join.

I haven't done invitations in so long that I don't know how they work
on other services. Usually I either have an off-line okay to add them
to a list - or they are asking to join a list.

Diana


 

I don't know what's been happening with others, but of the five invitations I've sent out that have been accepted (the rest were part of the mass transfer), two have had difficulty. The first was resolved (it was an issue of a concurrent invitation and membership application). But the second one is still messed up. This person accepted the invitation but didn't at first click on "confirm" so he ended up NC. (I would prefer that the boilerplate invitation emphasize this requirement.) I saw the NC and emailed him, asking him to either log on from one route or another, or find the confirmation email and reply to it. He responded as follows:

"I just went in and changed the email address I want to use and set a password.  These changes were acknowledged, but it won't let me log in, either with my regular email address or the changed one."

The person, by the way, is one the smartest people I know. And he's completely flummoxed, as am I. I did notice, in the activity log, that the system logged his email changes as if he changed from one email address to same one - i.e., nothing changed. And there are two entires to that effect. I wonder if the system invalidated email address #1, which is identical to email address #2, the one he wanted to "change" to, and therefore won't let him log on because it's been invalidated? That's just a wild guess. I can't imagine this person would intentionally "change" from one email address to the same one, twice in a row. But even if he did, I would think he'd still be able to log on.

J


 

p.s. I am telling people, over and over again, that Groups.io is ridikulusly better than Yahoo, but am constantly having to apologize for these invitation, password, login, and join issues. I tell members it's Groups.io's "one remaining weakness" (or "stumbling block" or "rocky thing" etc.) I am always apologizing for it and trying to explain it away, and telling people it will be fixed soon. 

These issues were my worry at the very start and the reason I delayed transferring as long as I did. I'm still really glad I transferred (and have even created a new group here from scratch for a different purpose), but IMHO these issues should take top priority! 

J

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 1:08 PM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I don't know what's been happening with others, but of the five invitations I've sent out that have been accepted (the rest were part of the mass transfer), two have had difficulty. The first was resolved (it was an issue of a concurrent invitation and membership application). But the second one is still messed up. This person accepted the invitation but didn't at first click on "confirm" so he ended up NC. (I would prefer that the boilerplate invitation emphasize this requirement.) I saw the NC and emailed him, asking him to either log on from one route or another, or find the confirmation email and reply to it. He responded as follows:

"I just went in and changed the email address I want to use and set a password.  These changes were acknowledged, but it won't let me log in, either with my regular email address or the changed one."

The person, by the way, is one the smartest people I know. And he's completely flummoxed, as am I. I did notice, in the activity log, that the system logged his email changes as if he changed from one email address to same one - i.e., nothing changed. And there are two entires to that effect. I wonder if the system invalidated email address #1, which is identical to email address #2, the one he wanted to "change" to, and therefore won't let him log on because it's been invalidated? That's just a wild guess. I can't imagine this person would intentionally "change" from one email address to the same one, twice in a row. But even if he did, I would think he'd still be able to log on.

J



 

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 1:08 PM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I don't know what's been happening with others, but of the five invitations I've sent out that have been accepted (the rest were part of the mass transfer), two have had difficulty. The first was resolved (it was an issue of a concurrent invitation and membership application). But the second one is still messed up. This person accepted the invitation but didn't at first click on "confirm" so he ended up NC. (I would prefer that the boilerplate invitation emphasize this requirement.)

He would not end up as NC this way. I believe he must have registered with Groups.io on his own at some point, and not replied/clicked on the confirmation email.
 

I saw the NC and emailed him, asking him to either log on from one route or another, or find the confirmation email and reply to it. He responded as follows:

"I just went in and changed the email address I want to use and set a password.  These changes were acknowledged, but it won't let me log in, either with my regular email address or the changed one."


It sounds like there are 2 email addresses involved for him. Can you send me off-list his email address, and I'll investigate?

Thanks,
Mark 


Sylvester <sylvester2007dc@...>
 

When I invite someone I am asking them to walk through the door so to speak. I would not want to stop them and say 'now I approve you'. That is 2 steps instead of one.
As an owner or moderator I have two options that require a different response on its own merit.

1. Invite, with an open door.
2. Let them join through subscription and approve them.

When I amasking for an addition email notification I am also adding extra steps as a owner or moderator.

I have always viewed it this way, if they don't accept the invite, they are the ones missing out.....🙃🙃🙃🙃
As an owner, I have too much on my plate to worry about tracking invites that do not respond...........

But I am sure there maybe be other groups that may have more time to track invites or other reasons the may need this function😀

Diane

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 19, 2016, at 3:50 PM, Diana Gregory <diana@catsandme.net> wrote:

On 1/18/2016 8:45 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
I really think a NOTICE needs to go to the owner/mods that the person
has accepted the invite and is awaiting approval.
If that was already checked, look for any place your email service or software may have put the notification (such as a spam folder). If you still can't find the notification you may be having deliverability problems with your email service.
Question - why would someone need to be approved if they are responding
to an invitation? They're approving your invitation to join, so I
would assume you want them to join.

I haven't done invitations in so long that I don't know how they work
on other services. Usually I either have an off-line okay to add them
to a list - or they are asking to join a list.

Diana




 

Diana G,

Question - why would someone need to be approved if they are responding
to an invitation?
As I said, they wouldn't.

-- Shal


 

Diane (and BobbieSue),

When I amasking for an addition email notification I am also adding
extra steps as a owner or moderator.
Pending membership, and the notice that goes with it, is for people that try to join on their own; not for those who accept an invitation.

-- Shal


 

On 1/19/2016 1:49 PM, Me and BobbieSue wrote:
1. Invite, with an open door.
2. Let them join through subscription and approve them.
Thanks! A couple of Diane|as agree!

dg