locked questions (suggestions?) re "status" and "reason" columns in invitations

I've got five rows in my "outstanding invitations" table. I'm confused. In the "status" column, four of these say "accepted" and in the "reasons" column, they say "success." Question #1: if the invitations have been accepted, why are these in the "outstanding invitations" table?

In the fifth row, which is the one actually outstanding invitation, has "status" = "sent" and "reason" = "success." Question #2: I'm not sure what the words "reason" and "success" mean in this table in general, and whether other words might be more clear. What are the possible "reasons"? Why is "success" a "reason" for either "sent" or "accepted"?

Status will show if it's sent or accepted. If there are no problems, either will say success. Once in awhile if I go check them right after sending some, I'll see something else in reason, though I don't remember exactly what it is. I had asked Mark about it and it usually just means there's a delay at the email server for some reason. On one of mine, the email address was "busy" on the server, so IO automatically tried later and it went through.

The invitations stay until you remove them. This was a request from some of us users. You can select all that have accepted and use the "Remove invitation" on the drop down box under them. It's useful if you invite a bunch of folks and are marking them off of a list as they accept. I did it that way when I invited about 100 all at once. I believe there's an item on the TODO list to remove them after some length of time.

Duane

Ro

Not so oh semi-learned one!  I sent an invite this am.  Its gone.  It doesnt show accepted, it shows there are no outstanding invites. Nothing. Its gone into la la land.  However, if I try to resend it, it does show an error message, "pending subscriber".  I think it would be good if there were another way to know this besides trying to resend the invite.

WAIT!  I found the pending approval in the Members section.  Hmmm.   I really think a NOTICE needs to go to the owner/mods that the person has accepted the invite and is awaiting approval.  We shouldnt have to keep checking and checking to see that.   Or should it be "see this"??    Frankly, if we send an invite, why do we need to approve?  why would an mod/owner send an invite to someone they didnt want in their group?  Approval needs to be AUTOMATIC.

I guess thats ALL I can legitimately capitalize here, which is DISAPPOINTING.

So

1.  Pending invites is not helpful, doesnt show "accepted
2.  shouldnt have to go to Members to see pending approvals, owners/mods should get a notice that invite was accepted
3.   Really, an invite shouldnt NEED acceptance, but should automatically be accepted.  But perhaps others disagree?   Perhaps you invite those you are not sure you want in your group??  Oh, I know, you might still want them to fill out member forms.   perhaps a check mark when sending the invite allowing auto acceptance...??

RobiWanCatNobi

with Sally and Silk auto-accepting snacks,  and Handy, Feliz &  Police Kitty patrolling in the Great Beyond with tons of humanoids pending approval,,,hey,,,not YOU buster.....you are outta here!!

> Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 14:51:19 -0800
> Subject: [beta] Re: questions (suggestions?) re "status" and "reason" columns in invitations
> To: beta@groups.io
> From: txpigeon@...
>
> Status will show if it's sent or accepted. If there are no problems, either will say success. Once in awhile if I go check them right after sending some, I'll see something else in reason, though I don't remember exactly what it is. I had asked Mark about it and it usually just means there's a delay at the email server for some reason. On one of mine, the email address was "busy" on the server, so IO automatically tried later and it went through.
>
> The invitations stay until you remove them. This was a request from some of us users. You can select all that have accepted and use the "Remove invitation" on the drop down box under them. It's useful if you invite a bunch of folks and are marking them off of a list as they accept. I did it that way when I invited about 100 all at once. I believe there's an item on the TODO list to remove them after some length of time.
>
> Duane

Duane

Ro,

Hmm, I just sent an invitation to another of my email addresses (it does have an IO account w/password). Initially it showed Sent and Success. I accepted the invitation and it changed to Accepted and Success. The group is set for NuM, remove after 1 post, but does not require approval of join requests. Maybe that's what caused yours to act differently - needing approval. In that case, I think it should be changed so that the Outstanding Invitations page shows Approval Pending or something similar.

Duane

Ro

Or perhaps I dont know what I am doing?  After all, I tried to send an invite 3 times before noticing the tiny error message at the bottom.   An invite not sent should not look like you have sent it, returning you to the invite screen, with only a tiny red message at the bottom that you have to scroll down the page to even see.  And if you leave the invite screen to check Outstanding invitations and return, the error message is of course, gone.   For those of us challenged on such matters, we need such error messages at the TOP, clearly visible, perhaps with lights and sirens and a robotic voice shouting "Danger Will Robinson, Danger"!!!

At this point, I have doubts that I have even sent a successful invite.   I will exercise more caution in the future. Tish!

Ro

with Sally and Silk waiting at their feed dishes, and Handy, Feliz &  Police Kitty patrolling in the Great Beyond.

> To: beta@groups.io
> Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 22:28:20 -0800
> Subject: [beta] Re: questions (suggestions?) re "status" and "reason" columns in invitations
> From: txpigeon@...
>
> Ro,
>
> Hmm, I just sent an invitation to another of my email addresses (it does have an IO account w/password). Initially it showed Sent and Success. I accepted the invitation and it changed to Accepted and Success. The group is set for NuM, remove after 1 post, but does not require approval of join requests. Maybe that's what caused yours to act differently - needing approval. In that case, I think it should be changed so that the Outstanding Invitations page shows Approval Pending or something similar.
>
> Duane

I now have one member who sent a membership request concurrently with my sending him an invitation (unbeknownst to each other at the time). I accepted his membership request and it turned out he'd already accepted the invitation as well. There are two things I don't know how to interpret or do about at this point: (1) His invitation shows up as "sent" (not as "accepted") in the pending invitations, and (2) His name has "NC" next to it in the members list. I understand "NC" means "did not click on the confirm link" in the email. But what are the ramifications of that? Is this related, or equivalent, to his not having created a password? What should be the next steps? Very confused. Thanks.

Successfully sending an invitation will take you to a new page with a summary. In my case, it said

Invite Summary
Invites Processed: 1
Invites Sent: 1

If you see anything else, there was a problem with the information you entered.

Any time an invitation is no longer needed, you can select the check box to the left of it, then go to the Actions box at the bottom of the page and choose Cancel/Remove Invite.

Duane

I'm not talking about that page. The page arrived. I'm just asking, again, what NC means in terms of its effects - not in terms of what the user did or didn't do in response to the confirm email. Is it just informational or does it affect the user's status/permissions in any way? How does it go away once it's been set - what should the moderator or user do?

Also: it seems incorrect that in the 'outstanding invitations' page the invitation is marked 'sent' rather than 'accepted,' even though the member is listed in the actual (not pending) members list. Possibly this is related to the NC designation. But I find the situation at least confusing.

Sent from my iPhone

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 6:05 AM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I'm not talking about that page. The page arrived. I'm just asking, again, what NC means in terms of its effects - not in terms of what the user did or didn't do in response to the confirm email. Is it just informational or does it affect the user's status/permissions in any way? How does it go away once it's been set - what should the moderator or user do?

If someone is not confirmed, they are treated like they are not subscribed to the group. If archives are private, they can't see them, etc.

Also: it seems incorrect that in the 'outstanding invitations' page the invitation is marked 'sent' rather than 'accepted,' even though the member is listed in the actual (not pending) members list. Possibly this is related to the NC designation. But I find the situation at least confusing.

If the person didn't click on the invite link, but instead became a member through just joining the group the 'normal' way, that could explain what you're seeing.

Notes on invites: People who accept invite links are automatically confirmed if they weren't before, and they do not become pending members if the list is restricted, they are normal members. If you have your group set to New Users Moderated, then they do get set with the NuM status.

Hope this helps.
Mark

Thanks, Mark.

It's unclear what happened in this case, since the invitation (and his acceptance of it, or attempt to accept - he did THINK he'd accepted, as he told me he had, which is still the "confusing invitation" issue) - the invitation and his application to join the group (and my approval of that) happened concurrently. I'm not sure which one went through the system first. Last night, the NC appeared next to his hame. I tried to email him some instructions to log in, create a password, etc., and this morning the NC was gone. I'm still not sure what happened.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Another transferee is having problems this morning. I was surprised to find a membership application from her and had to explain that the transfer process had already added her. This seems to be another case of missing emails. I'm not sure.