locked DISASTER!!!

weebeequilting <weebee.1@...>

This morning I found that all my files were missing.  I contacted Mark.  He investigated and found that a member of my group had deleted several files days ago and went in and deleted everything else today!  They cannot be recovered.  This is exactly why I asked to have settings available so that members could only edit or delete files and/or photos they uploaded.  I am the only one who uploaded any file because they were the files I transferred from Yahoo.  So now, I have to go back to the Yahoo Group and download all those files once again and then upload them to my new group.  I am so frustrated.  After I go through all this trouble, right now there is no guarantee that it won't happen again.  I have deleted that member from my group.  I have to think they did it by accident but I don't want another accident to happen.  There are 2800 members in my group and that is a lot of potential accidents!  Mark--please make that change to the available settings for members!

Janice B

AZ

Trish McDonald

I use google docs for my group files and then just link to them in the wiki. This way I maintain control over files and nothing gets lost. Also handy if I ever decide to switch to a different groups service, my file links can just be copied en masse and carried over to the new groups service.

Trish

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 3:15 PM, weebeequilting <weebee.1@...> wrote:

[...]

Why not just set the group to "subscribers can view, moderators can upload" files in the interim? This is all that Yahoo currently allows anyway.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 12:15 PM, weebeequilting <weebee.1@...> wrote:

[...]

Duane

Which setting do you have for Files on the Settings page? Would a different one,at least temporarily, have prevented this? Would "Subscribers can view, moderators can upload" have worked? I know how much work it is to get files moved, especially if there are a bunch of them, so you have my condolences. This is one reason that I keep a copy of everything on my groups (photos and files, with descriptions) on my local hard drive. No disaster yet, but "easier" to recover if it happens.

Duane

I agree that there should be a setting where regular members can upload files but can only delete files they themselves uploaded.

One other thing to consider: Maybe for normal file deletions, move the file into a state where it can't be seen, but it's really deleted from the system two weeks later. That could prevent "accidents."

JohnF

Duane

I just verified that "Subscribers can view, moderators can upload" prevents members from editing or deleting. That could prevent a lot of work until there's a better option.

Duane

weebeequilting <weebee.1@...>

That is my current setting.  I believe it means if a member can view they can also edit and delete.

Janice

weebeequilting <weebee.1@...>

Yes, I just logged into my group with my regular member (not moderator) account and when I accessed the few files I have begun to add back, all the editing tools were there including delete.

Janice B

AZ

Janice,

This morning I found that all my files were missing. I contacted Mark.
He investigated and found that a member of my group had deleted several
files days ago and went in and deleted everything else today! They
cannot be recovered.
Yikes!

I agree, even the "Subscribers can view and upload" setting ought to limit members to editing or deleting their own uploads. Only moderators should have the power to alter or delete other members' content.

That rule should apply uniformly to content in all areas, not just messages. Maybe Wiki pages are a special case, but they already need more comprehensive per-page access settings, IMO.

This is exactly why I asked to have settings available so that members
could only edit or delete files and/or photos they uploaded.
Agreed, except that it shouldn't require a separate setting - it should just be the rule.

-- Shal

My non-mod members have no editing tools appear with files. Did you check your setting, and are you sure it's "subscribers can view, moderators can upload"? Are you sure the member you're testing with is not a moderator? I think this feature is working and something is set wrong on your end.

weebeequilting <weebee.1@...>

I need my members to be able to upload and view.  It appears that allowing them to to do both automatically gives them the editing tools so they can delete.  We share many documents with helpful tips and patterns.  If members cannot upload, the Files section would be less useful to us.  I think Mark can (should) change the settings to prevent further disasters.  Imagine what damage an irate member could cause if they were having a dispute with the moderator/owner.  Any group that has the same settings I have--members can view and upload--is at risk.  The same applies to Photos.

Janice B

AZ

Hi All,

I've made the following changes to the Files permissions system, and will propagate similar permissions throughout the other parts of the site on Monday.

- Members can only edit/delete their own files or directories.
- Moderators can edit/delete everything.
- If a member tries to delete a folder (that they created), only the contents that they have permission to delete are deleted. So if a folder contains a file uploaded from someone else, the folder is not deleted (because it contains that file).
- No changes to the Group settings, which control who can add files/folders.

There was a bug in the file search, where if you search for a file, the edit/delete icons would show up regardless of how the group settings were set. That's also been fixed.

I apologize for what happened to Janice's group. I would like to know what the member thought they were doing when they went through all the files and deleted them. In any event, that cannot happen again.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 2:00 PM, J_catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
My non-mod members have no editing tools appear with files. Did you check your setting, and are you sure it's "subscribers can view, moderators can upload"? Are you sure the member you're testing with is not a moderator? I think this feature is working and something is set wrong on your end.

I totally agree. But Yahoo does not have (or did not have - I think of Yahoo in the past now;) this option either . My understanding is that Mark is working on adding it. In the meantime, the only option to prevent members from wreaking havoc is to use "subscribers can view, moderators can upload."

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 3:17 PM, weebeequilting <weebee.1@...> wrote:

I need my members to be able to upload and view.  It appears that allowing them to to do both automatically gives them the editing tools so they can delete.  We share many documents with helpful tips and patterns.  If members cannot upload, the Files section would be less useful to us.  I think Mark can (should) change the settings to prevent further disasters.  Imagine what damage an irate member could cause if they were having a dispute with the moderator/owner.  Any group that has the same settings I have--members can view and upload--is at risk.  The same applies to Photos.

Janice B

AZ

(Am seeing Mark's reply late. Glad it's been taken care of!)

Ro

Thank you for propagating....

Ro

Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 15:18:32 -0800
Subject: Re: [beta] DISASTER!!!
From: markf@corp.groups.io
To: beta@groups.io

[...]

LOL. I second that. :-)

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 4:39 PM, Ro <recarlton@...> wrote:
Thank you for propagating....

Ro

Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 15:18:32 -0800
From: markf@corp.groups.io
To: beta@groups.io

[...]

Mark,

Thank you so much for responding so quickly to this request.  I'm sure it was a lot of work for you and just know it is very much appreciated.  I feel less vulnerable now.  I am so impressed with how quickly you respond to requests for enhancements and changes.  It is so refreshing after dealing with Yahoo for so many years.  Thank you again for making this very helpful change.

Janice Bahrt

New Statler Siblings Group

A group of Long Arm Quilters using Computer Assisted Machines (robotics)

Nightowl >8#

J_catlady wrote:>>Why not just set the group to "subscribers can view, moderators can upload" files in the interim? This is all that Yahoo currently allows anyway.<<

I tested this out to be sure. Yahoo does allow members to view and edit, if that choice was chosen by the owner, which I had chosen on MM. However, when I tried to do it, it wouldn't let me as a member.

That's probably just messed up Neo, but I wanted to test it to be sure.

Interesting...

Brenda

I just don't know any more. Yahoo is finally beginning to fade into the distant past for me LOL.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 7:22 PM, Feathered Leader <featheredleader@...> wrote:
J_catlady wrote:>>Why not just set the group to "subscribers can view, moderators can upload" files in the interim? This is all that Yahoo currently allows anyway.<<

I tested this out to be sure. Yahoo does allow members to view and edit, if that choice was chosen by the owner, which I had chosen on MM. However, when I tried to do it, it wouldn't let me as a member.

That's probably just messed up Neo, but I wanted to test it to be sure.

Interesting...

Brenda

Ro

My own experience with files on Yahoo:  you can upload and edit your own files.  You cant edit or delete files uploaded by someone else unless you are a moderator.  Probably there are over rides somewhere for this, but most groups I am in , this is how it works.

Ro

with Sally and Silk over riding the controls on the Temptations bag and Handy, Feliz &  Police Kitty patrolling in the Great Beyond, and editing and deleting like mad