Topics

Stopping posting of photos in the file section?

LeeAnne

Hello Mark and all

Is there any way to stop members from uploading photos to the file sections?

I spend way too much time sending members to the wiki for instructions (which of course they either can't understand or don't read before uploading) or looking for and deleting photos from the files. The photos take up huge amounts of data and of course are very difficult to view when not in an album.

--

-LeeAnne

ECIR Archivist

Duane

Since the most common extension on photos is jpg, maybe disallow that in the File area? And possibly note that they must go in the Photo area when an attempt is made?

Duane

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 1:08 PM, LeeAnne Bloye <ecir.archives@...> wrote:

Is there any way to stop members from uploading photos to the file sections?

I've changed the upload dialog to prevent the ability to upload images to the Files area.

Cheers,

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 12:22 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:

I've changed the upload dialog to prevent the ability to upload images to the
Files area.
Looks like it went a bit too far. I'm unable to upload .doc, .xls, .xlsx, .xlsb, .wps, or .wdb files. That's all I've checked so far.

Duane

Sue

Looks like it went a bit too far. I'm unable to upload .doc, .xls, .xlsx, .xlsb, .wps, or .wdb files. That's all I've checked so far.
Aha, that's quite possibly why I've had trouble with .rtf, .mht and.html this evening.

Sue

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 1:58 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 12:22 pm, Mark Fletcher wrote:

> I've changed the upload dialog to prevent the ability to upload images to the
> Files area.

Looks like it went a bit too far.  I'm unable to upload .doc, .xls, .xlsx, .xlsb, .wps, or .wdb files.  That's all I've checked so far.

Hmm. Well, that's not good! I just changed it and it should be fixed now.

LeeAnne

OMG! BLESS YOU Mark!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
--

-LeeAnne

ECIR Archivist

Mark,

I had the first run-in with this exclusionary feature today. ;-( Quite often, our group members take photos of their cat's lab reports and attach them to their messages. I then upload them into a folder for their cat. Unfortunately, I discovered the hard way today that I can no longer do that.

Could I convince you to reconsider and to make this restriction optional? It will cause hardship to our group not to be able to upload photos to the Files section.

Ro

Egads yes. I havent had a recent lab posting via photo, but my Feline Thyroid group does sometimes post that way.  We absolutely need to be able to put them into files.

Ro

with Silk gazing over the fence, and Sally, Handy, Feliz &  Police Kitty patrolling in the Great Beyond.

I had the first run-in with this exclusionary feature today. ;-( Quite often, our group members take photos of their cat's lab reports and attach them to their messages. I then upload them into a folder for their cat. Unfortunately, I discovered the hard way today that I can no longer do that.

Could I convince you to reconsider and to make this restriction optional? It will cause hardship to our group not to be able to upload photos to the Files section.

If I really needed to put a photo in the files section for some reason, I'd print it to a pdf file and upload that.

Duane

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 09:08 pm, J_Catlady wrote:

Could I convince you to reconsider and to make this restriction optional? It will cause hardship to our group not to be able to upload photos to the Files section.

Apologies for taking so long, but there's now a checkbox in the group settings to allow photos to be uploaded to the files section (it is not checked by default).

Cheers, Mark

Mark,

Awesome! Thanks!

Tom H

I just got caught by this filter on my first bulk upload to a new group and also by an erroneous message. I had not previously uploaded any file and I wanted to upload a bunch, 499.

  1. The "Upload File" button is singular, implying only 1 file at a time, reinforced by the singular form title. However, I was pleasantly surprised that bulk upload was possible.
  2. Having selected all 499, I was thrown off by the subsequent generation of thumbnails, the completion for which I had to wait until I could start the upload. It would be more efficient to simply list the files.
  3. My file set included image files. I don't recall seeing any warning or automatic rejection of image files in the dialog to this point. The image files were all rendered into thumbnails suggesting that they were accepted.
  4. The upload proceeded to apparent completion (progress hit 100%) but was followed by a screen with a picture of a cat saying the system was under maintenance, try later. This message proved erroneous.
  5. On clicking on Files in the sidebar, 318 files were reported, not the 499 that had been selected. I thought it said 319 initially and then dropped by 1 but that might be faulty vision. It took some searching to discover this topic and the answer that image files had been blocked. It almost seems that they were uploaded with the rest and then deleted.

Toby Kraft

Two thoughts:
  1. On file upload dialog - display group setting on whether or not photos are allowed in Files section (popup/tooltip listing file types recognized as 'photos'?)
  2. Allow upload of zip file that is expanded on server into folders/files after upload  - previously suggested.
Toby