moderated Site updates #changelog

Changes to the site this week:

  • NEW: Sent out emails to premium groups telling them that we will begin recurring charges in the next several weeks.
  • CHANGE: Premium plans now support having group aliases (previously this was an Enterprise plan only feature).
  • NEW: Send an email reminder to people with credit cards that will be expiring next month.
  • BUGFIX: With the Github integration, we were not properly converting pull request comments from markdown to HTML.
  • CHANGE: Clicking on a PDF in Files will display it in the browser now. Still concerned about security issues with other files, tho.
  • CHANGE: Removed the 'Recently Posted Photos' part of the group home page.
  • NEW: New attachments view to see which messages are taking the most space.
  • BUGFIX: For edited pending and archived messages, force any plain text parts to be UTF 8 encoded. We were already forcing the HTML parts to be UTF-8, but that ignored plain text only messages.
  • CHANGE: The members display is now striped, hoverable and you can click anywhere on a row to get to the member. Hopefully this reduces confusion.
  • CHANGE: Improvements to the Subgroups table for groups with large numbers of subgroups.
  • BUGFIX: When viewing a member, don't display the Remove button if you don't have permission to remove them (it didn't work before, but we shouldn't have displayed the button anyways).

Have a good weekend everybody.

Mark

Bob Bellizzi

Not working on FuchsFriends premium.  Still wants to download not display (File was created using MS Word SaveAs PDF) The file is in  Doctor List and is doclist2-26-2017

  • CHANGE: Clicking on a PDF in Files will display it in the browser now. Still concerned about security issues with other files, tho.

Bob Bellizzi

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Bob,

          Make certain that you don't have your browser configured such that it will not display PDF files in the browser.  I actually hate "in browser" PDF displays as a general rule so have Firefox and Chrome configured not to open PDFs in the browser.  If that is how you're set up a download will always be attempted.

          If it will display those from other sites then there may be a bug.
--
Brian

To think is to differ.

    ~ Clarence Darrow

Bob Bellizzi

Thanks Brian,

It's a list we we want members viewing but not copying, it's very  large.

By setting file properties in Adobe we can prevent saving and printing.

Bob Bellizzi

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 11:56 am, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
It's a list we we want members viewing but not copying, it's very  large.

Bob,

        While I understand what you're saying, the file itself does get downloaded behind the scenes for presentation.  A sophisticated computer user can easily determine where that temporary copy of the PDF is stored and then copy and paste it elsewhere.  A really sophisticated user can get around the Adobe protections as well.

         It's going to be downloaded for display no matter how large it is.

         If any one of your members has their browser set up such that PDFs don't display in the browser I know of no way you can prevent them from viewing the PDF in a link that's accessible to them, and that means the file will be downloaded to accomplish that.  Whether they know how to actually save the content such that they can retrieve it later is an entirely separate issue, but if you put it on the web, believe me, it can be saved if someone is determined enough.
--
Brian

To think is to differ.

    ~ Clarence Darrow

Bob Bellizzi

We're well aware of the shortcomings.  While I may not be a "sophisticated user" I'm fairly experienced.  In fact unless they are older than me (85 & 11/12)and started their hardware/software careers before I did (1956)  I don't have many worries about our member sophistication regarding computers. Most don't know what an icon is or a url.

Bob Bellizzi, 85 and still designing/implementing software, websites, etc.

The Corneal Dystrophy Foundation

Tony Moody

Thanks Bob,
Will add that to my list of Chuckles,

"Doesn't know his icon from his url" - Bob

Well, it gave me a smile !

Tony

Subject : Re: [beta] Site updates #changelog