Topics

locked Announcement in other moderator groups?

Are you interested in announcing groups.io, and this beta group, in the other moderator groups on Yahoo? If you'd rather that happen "organically" there's enough overlap in membership of these groups that I'm somewhat surprised that there's been no mention of the EL-M conversations in the others yet.

As a moderator for both YGOG and GMF I can tell you that such an announcement would be welcome. Even though the focus of those groups is strictly on Yahoo Groups, we have had discussion threads in both groups discussing the merits of other services. I consider discussions of relative merits to be on-topic, but getting into the "how-to" of the other services to be off-topic.

That's unlike EL-M and ListHelp, whose subject includes all mailing list systems. I don't know about FEM, their group description sounds specific to Yahoo Groups, but they are old enough to be named For Egroup Moderators so you could always ask the moderators about it.

There is also modsandmembers, whose mission was once to stop an earlier rollout of a major revision to Yahoo Groups, and which took up the fight again with the roll-out of Neo. They are currently going through some existential angst, as it appears the fight againts Neo is definitively lost. I know they and their members are very interested in Yahoo alternatives.

-- Shal

Shal,

I'd definitely like to get the word out to the other groups, but maybe not quite yet. I wanted to start things slowly for three reasons. First, to be able to work through the (sigh, numerous) bugs in the system. Looking at the logs, probably close to 100 bugs have been fixed in the last week, so we're getting there. Second, to work through any rough edges in the interface and any basic missing functionality. For example, later today I'll send a pointer here to a page containing a list of all your subscriptions and ask for feedback. And finally, to (hopefully) finalize the business model (ie. what's paid and what's free). One of my goals with Groups.io was to create a sustainable business that was not reliable on advertising. The pricing model currently on the site was my best guess at how to do that, but I'd like to discuss it with the group here and get feedback.

So, maybe another week or two?

Thanks,
Mark

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 11:39 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:
Are you interested in announcing groups.io, and this beta group, in the other moderator groups on Yahoo? If you'd rather that happen "organically" there's enough overlap in membership of these groups that I'm somewhat surprised that there's been no mention of the EL-M conversations in the others yet.

As a moderator for both YGOG and GMF I can tell you that such an announcement would be welcome. Even though the focus of those groups is strictly on Yahoo Groups, we have had discussion threads in both groups discussing the merits of other services. I consider discussions of relative merits to be on-topic, but getting into the "how-to" of the other services to be off-topic.

That's unlike EL-M and ListHelp, whose subject includes all mailing list systems. I don't know about FEM, their group description sounds specific to Yahoo Groups, but they are old enough to be named For Egroup Moderators so you could always ask the moderators about it.

There is also modsandmembers, whose mission was once to stop an earlier rollout of a major revision to Yahoo Groups, and which took up the fight again with the roll-out of Neo. They are currently going through some existential angst, as it appears the fight againts Neo is definitively lost. I know they and their members are very interested in Yahoo alternatives.

-- Shal

David P. Dillard

If you want these groups to do well, you will need to have a free service based on advertising as most people cannot afford to pay to own groups. It would also be very smart to allow groups to be public if so desired so that their content can be indexed by search engines. This will serve not only to make these groups visible on the web, but also the service they are a part of.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Shal,
I'd definitely like to get the word out to the other groups, but maybe not quite yet. I wanted to start things slowly for three
reasons. First, to be able to work through the (sigh, numerous) bugs in the system. Looking at the logs, probably close to 100
bugs have been fixed in the last week, so we're getting there. Second, to work through any rough edges in the interface and any
basic missing functionality. For example, later today I'll send a pointer here to a page containing a list of all your
subscriptions and ask for feedback. And finally, to (hopefully) finalize the business model (ie. what's paid and what's free).
One of my goals with Groups.io was to create a sustainable business that was not reliable on advertising. The pricing model
currently on the site was my best guess at how to do that, but I'd like to discuss it with the group here and get feedback.
Thanks,
Mark
Are you interested in announcing groups.io, and this beta group, in the other moderator groups on Yahoo? If you'd
rather that happen "organically" there's enough overlap in membership of these groups that I'm somewhat surprised
that there's been no mention of the EL-M conversations in the others yet.

As a moderator for both YGOG and GMF I can tell you that such an announcement would be welcome. Even though the
focus of those groups is strictly on Yahoo Groups, we have had discussion threads in both groups discussing the
merits of other services. I consider discussions of relative merits to be on-topic, but getting into the "how-to"
of the other services to be off-topic.

That's unlike EL-M and ListHelp, whose subject includes all mailing list systems. I don't know about FEM, their
group description sounds specific to Yahoo Groups, but they are old enough to be named For Egroup Moderators so you
could always ask the moderators about it.

There is also modsandmembers, whose mission was once to stop an earlier rollout of a major revision to Yahoo
Groups, and which took up the fight again with the roll-out of Neo. They are currently going through some
existential angst, as it appears the fight againts Neo is definitively lost. I know they and their members are very
interested in Yahoo alternatives.

-- Shal
_._,_._,_
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Groups.io Links:
You receive all messages sent to this group.
Mute This Thread
Change Your Subscription
Unsubscribe From This Group
Group Home
Terms Of Service
_._,_._,_

David,

Yes, that's the plan. Public groups are free. And always will be. When we launched last week, free groups originally had the restriction that you couldn't send attachments through them. I removed that restriction. But with that, I need to ponder whether to limit the amount of storage that group archives can take (currently unlimited), and whether to charge for extra space. For example, Wordpress gives their free blogs 3gigs of storage space, and you can pay a small amount to increase that. Do I do the same with groups? 

Separately, the current pricing model is based on number of subscribers. Again, looking at Wordpress, they charge based on features, not subscribers (which in their case is page views). Do I switch to something like that? (ie. X dollars a year for a private group, regardless of number of subscribers).

I want to make as much of Groups.io free as possible and the rest affordable. Not just because I'm nice (well, my mom says I am), but because I think it's good business. And of course I want Groups.io to be so much better than everything else that people will want to pay for it.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 7:54 AM, David P. Dillard <jwne@...> wrote:

If you want these groups to do well, you will need to have a free service based on advertising as most people cannot afford to pay to own groups. It would also be very smart to allow groups to be public if so desired so that their content can be indexed by search engines.  This will serve not only to make these groups visible on the web, but also the service they are a part of.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Shal,
I'd definitely like to get the word out to the other groups, but maybe not quite yet. I wanted to start things slowly for three
reasons. First, to be able to work through the (sigh, numerous) bugs in the system. Looking at the logs, probably close to 100
bugs have been fixed in the last week, so we're getting there. Second, to work through any rough edges in the interface and any
basic missing functionality. For example, later today I'll send a pointer here to a page containing a list of all your
subscriptions and ask for feedback. And finally, to (hopefully) finalize the business model (ie. what's paid and what's free).
One of my goals with Groups.io was to create a sustainable business that was not reliable on advertising. The pricing model
currently on the site was my best guess at how to do that, but I'd like to discuss it with the group here and get feedback.

Thanks,
Mark

Are you interested in announcing groups.io, and this beta group, in the other moderator groups on Yahoo? If you'd
      rather that happen "organically" there's enough overlap in membership of these groups that I'm somewhat surprised
      that there's been no mention of the EL-M conversations in the others yet.

As a moderator for both YGOG and GMF I can tell you that such an announcement would be welcome. Even though the
      focus of those groups is strictly on Yahoo Groups, we have had discussion threads in both groups discussing the
      merits of other services. I consider discussions of relative merits to be on-topic, but getting into the "how-to"
      of the other services to be off-topic.

That's unlike EL-M and ListHelp, whose subject includes all mailing list systems. I don't know about FEM, their
      group description sounds specific to Yahoo Groups, but they are old enough to be named For Egroup Moderators so you
      could always ask the moderators about it.

There is also modsandmembers, whose mission was once to stop an earlier rollout of a major revision to Yahoo
      Groups, and which took up the fight again with the roll-out of Neo. They are currently going through some
      existential angst, as it appears the fight againts Neo is definitively lost. I know they and their members are very
      interested in Yahoo alternatives.

-- Shal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

Mute This Thread: https://groups.io/mt/442?uid=3
Change Your Subscription: https://groups.io/org/groupsio/beta/editsub?uid=3
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/org/groupsio/beta/leave
Group Home: https://groups.io/org/groupsio/beta
Terms of Service: https://groups.io/static/tos
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-