Topics

moderated Group.IO & Scalling

toki

All:

This probably is the wrong place to ask, but anyway.

What would happen to Groups.IO if:

a) YahooGroups was merged into Groups.IO?

b) All of the lists on YahooGroups migrated to Groups.IO, over the
course of between three and six months?

Whilst both of those are between unlikely, and extremely unlikely, I've
been asked that by a list-owner that has concerns about YahooGroup's
future, but doesn't want to migrate somewhere, only to face another
migration two or three years down the road.

jonathon

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 2:18 AM, toki <toki.kantoor@...> wrote:
All:

This probably is the wrong place to ask, but anyway.

What would happen to Groups.IO if:

a) YahooGroups was merged into Groups.IO?

b) All of the lists on YahooGroups migrated to Groups.IO, over the
course of between three and six months?

Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria! Nah.

This is already happening, in a way. I don't have the exact number, but I think something around 1000 groups have already moved from Yahoo to Groups.io.

I've put a lot of work into making it easy to transfer groups to Groups.io. I wouldn't be interested in taking over Yahoo Groups, even if the opportunity presented itself. There are lots of issues with Yahoo Groups, lots of deadwood/spam, baggage from years of neglect, all the legacy code, tied to the Yahoo codebase.

Whilst both of those are between unlikely, and extremely unlikely, I've
been asked that by a list-owner that has concerns about YahooGroup's
future, but doesn't want to migrate somewhere, only to face another
migration two or three years down the road.

One of my goals with Groups.io has been to create a self-sustaining business, not based on uncertainties of having to sell advertising. As part of that, it's important that group owners don't feel that they are locked in or trapped with Groups.io; you can download the archives and member list at any time, and I'll be adding the ability to download the other aspects of your group as well.