moderated Site updates #changelog

Changes to the site this week:

  • INTERNAL: Wrote a utility to regenerate the karl messages queue, which for unknown reasons had grown to 32GB in size.
  • NEW: Strip Juno.com ads from emails.
  • NEW: On the leave group page, add the option to switch to a daily summary instead.
  • BUGFIX: Fixed full digest and summary emails so that they're properly scaled in the Gmail IOS app.
  • NEW: Normalize HTML Email group option to strip font changes from messages.
  • SYSADMIN: Increased file descriptor limits on some servers because we were running out when sending a lot of email at once.
  • NEW: Daily Summary Email Delivery Option
  • BUGFIX: When a moderator was viewing a profile in a subgroup they are not subscribed to (but have mod permissions), there was a security error.
  • INTERNAL: Moved the digest generating functionality to its own queue to fix a database lock issue and increase scalability.
  • INTERNAL: Implemented graceful shutdown when upgrading several internal services.
  • INTERNAL: Use the Pagerduty API to communicate issues to Pagerduty instead of email.

Have a good weekend everybody.

Mark

Bob Bellizzi

Marvelous!

For our groups, we do appreciate the wonderful responsiveness and improvements you make but please, please don't harm your health for us.

Bob Bellizzi

Stephanie Stevens

"NEW: On the leave group page, add the option to switch to a daily summary instead."

Nice addition ... Yahoo should have done that a long, long time ago.

"NEW: Daily Summary Email Delivery Option"

Ditto.

~~ Stephanie

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 12:45 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

[...]

David P. Dillard

I just noticed this.

NEW: Strip Juno.com ads from emails.

Does anyone know how Juno adds are getting on messages in the first place, I have never seen one? Just curious.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@temple.edu

"NEW: On the leave group page, add the option to switch to a daily summary instead."
Nice addition ... Yahoo should have done that a long, long time ago.
"NEW: Daily Summary Email Delivery Option"
Ditto.
~~ Stephanie
On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 12:45 AM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Changes to the site this week:

o INTERNAL: Wrote a utility to regenerate the karl messages queue, which for unknown reasons had grown to 32GB in size.
o NEW: Strip Juno.com ads from emails.
o NEW: On the leave group page, add the option to switch to a daily summary instead.
o BUGFIX: Fixed full digest and summary emails so that they're properly scaled in the Gmail IOS app.
o NEW: Normalize HTML Email group option to strip font changes from messages.
o SYSADMIN: Increased file descriptor limits on some servers because we were running out when sending a lot of email at
once.
o NEW: Daily Summary Email Delivery Option
o BUGFIX: When a moderator was viewing a profile in a subgroup they are not subscribed to (but have mod permissions),
there was a security error.
o INTERNAL: Moved the digest generating functionality to its own queue to fix a database lock issue and increase
scalability.
o INTERNAL: Implemented graceful shutdown when upgrading several internal services.
o INTERNAL: Use the Pagerduty API to communicate issues to Pagerduty instead of email.

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 03:31 pm, David P. Dillard wrote:

Does anyone know how Juno adds are getting on messages in the first place
It's one of the consequences of using juno as an ISP. It also happens with netzero and a few others. It's automatically added by the service when they send out the email. I'm sure they do it to generate revenue so their service is "free".

Duane

Bob Bellizzi

Juno is likely the oldest email free server service which then moved over to the internet.