Topics

locked Help me pick a logo!

As part of applying to Facebook so that people can log in using their
Facebook credentials, Groups.io is required to submit a logo. But we
don't have a logo, you say. True! But not for long. I have just
created a design contest on 99designs for a Groups.io logo. Designers
read the creative brief, and submit logo ideas, from which I'll select
a winner.

I could use your help. Here's the contest:

http://99designs.com/logo-design/contests/create-logo-groups-io-468799/entries

I just submitted it, so there are only a few designs to review. But
over the next 4 days, a bunch should be submitted. Tell me in this
thread which ones you like or don't like. The designers can tweak the
designs as well, so suggestions for tweaks are appreciated as well.

I know creativity is subjective and everyone has different tastes. But
hopefully this will be fun.

Frances

Hi Mark,

I like #1 (the groups with the yellow io (bottom right)).
The top left #7 - with the G inside a double bubble is quite good too.

The conversation bubble is really old, I think. We used this at my public library more than 10 years ago. (#3 and 5).

You don’t want something that takes too much real estate when you use the icon in other ways (smartphone, for example). But it needs to be clear.

My two cents worth!

Frances

I could use your help. Here's the contest:

http://99designs.com/logo-design/contests/create-logo-groups-io-468799/entries

I just submitted it, so there are only a few designs to review. But
over the next 4 days, a bunch should be submitted. Tell me in this
thread which ones you like or don't like. The designers can tweak the
designs as well, so suggestions for tweaks are appreciated as well.

Judy F.

Mark, my favorites are #8 and #9 by newbie or not. I would prefer seeing the fancy G in place of the G in Groups. The way it currently is makes me immediately think of gmail.

My second choice is #6 by arogavi . I like it because of the mail icons.

I don't like #5 and #3 by jumbo. #5 looks too small and the lettering is small. #3 is hard to read on the blue background

I like #2 and 1 by panwawer with #2 being my preference because of the shadow background. Of the two #2 would be the one I would chose

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

As part of applying to Facebook so that people can log in using their Facebook credentials, Groups.io is required to submit a logo. But we don't have a logo, you say. True! But not for long. I have just created a design contest on 99designs for a Groups.io logo. Designers read the creative brief, and submit logo ideas, from which I'll select a winner.

I could use your help. Here's the contest:

http://99designs.com/logo-design/contests/create-logo-groups-io-468799/entries

I just submitted it, so there are only a few designs to review. But over the next 4 days, a bunch should be submitted. Tell me in this thread which ones you like or don't like. The designers can tweak the designs as well, so suggestions for tweaks are appreciated as well.

I know creativity is subjective and everyone has different tastes. But hopefully this will be fun.

kr402

like: #1
simple, plain
yes agree it needs to be small enough for portable
devices, but the small ones so far are too small.
you can not tell what the logo is for.

I like #6 so far.  It looks like there is no #4.

JohnF

Frances

Hi again

I think that #12 by akagii with the large G with the arrow is dynamic. Love the font too. Interesting having the .io in black, different from the rest of the logo.

Frances

Terry S

I like #1 by panwawer.

Terry S
--
"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do." - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1884 - 1962

On 3/11/2015 7:11 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
[...]

---

Frances,

I think that #12 by akagii with the large G with the arrow is dynamic.
That one is quite striking. But I worry that the initial glyph is a little too "Firefox-y". Too, it reminds me a bit of the ubiquitous "busy" spinner.

I lean towards the logos with an envelope, like 14 (or 10, 6, 11) because that says "email" to me. Maybe someone will come up with a design that suggests a synergy of email and web that I'll like better. But, other than browser logos, what image is iconic for the web? Depictions of a spider or a spider's web really does _not_ fit that bill - too strongly (and negatively) associated with the insect.

A Google image search for "web icon" gives some interesting results, and the reminder that in the early going a globe was often used, putting the emphasis more on "World Wide" and less on "Web".

-- Shal

Frances

Wow! 17 of them now.

I like #14 and #1. Very different.
The envelope works in #14.

#1 is just good lettering, but clean and attractive. You wouldn’t get tired of it, but it is plain.

#15 is much better when you open it in a new tab and see it enlarged. Not sure what that says about future usage.

#18 is an interesting combination of #1 and the dynamism of #12. But the colour balance is a bit off. I think it could be better.

Frances

monamouroui

I like #9, with maybe with a tweak. The people look disjointed. Maybe needs more symmetry. Envelope could be square.

I have other ideas. Might try to submit my own over the weekend.

Sara

On Mar 11, 2015 4:11 PM, "Mark Fletcher" <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Oooh, number 20!
Has the envelope icon. Nice lettering. It does have the suggestion of the conversation bubble. Best so far, perhaps.

Frances

vickie <vickie_00@...>

 I like #12

´
Vickie

[...]

Here’s what I DON’T like and why.

#9 looks like a table rather than an envelope and seems to imply business.
#11 looks like Angry Birds.
#3 and #5 - been done.
#12 - I like it but perhaps G for Google? Using G as main part of logo probably not a good thing.

Frances

On Mar 12 15, at 11:14 AM, Frances <travel@tansymews.ca> wrote:

Oooh, number 20!
Has the envelope icon. Nice lettering. It does have the suggestion of the conversation bubble. Best so far, perhaps.

Frances

I would vote for #16.  At first, it looks like a very simple design.  Upon closer examination, one can see that it is a group of 4 people.  I'm not sure how to interpret the tail on the one; but, groups are made up of people.  I just like it a lot.

Donna

cshenk1@...

#13 by bentrisku

It's simple, CLEAN, leads people here and more importantly doesn't have the trailing smaller and smaller emails drifting off which in my mind means mail loss.

Put an arrow head on the G leading to the 'mail' icon (speaks to delivery to you personally).  Next, visual issue for the color blind.  These are all on a white background but you have a color block issue.

The blue rules out a green background unless very pale.  The orange rules out yellow, red, and brown.  I think Pale green will be your best bet with a HIGH CONTRAST difference.

You can also look a crisp white if you like but it's going to meld into the background depending on the skills of others who pull it in so is you do that, border it.  Maybe the dark blue on the .io side and the orange on the groups side, or just pick one.

Smile, I've spent too much time with visual disabilities and adaption obviously (grin).

  Carol

Donna,

I would vote for #16. At first, it looks like a very simple design.
Upon closer examination, one can see that it is a group of 4 people.
Soylent logo is people!!!
(Sorry, couldn't resist).

I detest the little tails on many of these, representing speech balloons. That to me is clear iconography for chat or text message, not email or web groups. (Sorry Mark, I see that was the sample you gave them.)

But lose the tail and 16 makes for a nicely unique icon.

I like 10 too, for building an envelope out of network nodes. The only one that hints at web and email both. It would also make a unique Font Awesome character.

I also like how 15 and 17 build a G out of envelopes. Also a nicely unique icon, if a bit mechanical in appearance.

I suspect the best may be yet to come, given that there's almost three days left. Good design requires time to think, reflect, adjust, and think again.

-- Shal

RS

I like 6 and 26 myself.

Frances

Edited

There are now 46 active designs.

I like #52 by Reivan. But #51 is probably better. Both have a good font and the envelopes. My only concern - the .io suffix is a little unusual and I am not sure the light orange highlights it enough. Mark, it seems that you don't own .com so getting that right is important. BTW, somehow the .io is clearer on #51.

Frances

#41 by kcts is interesting but on my small Mac Air, I couldn't see the lettering. Only when it was opened in a new tab was it readable. Not good for poor eyesight. Not sure what it would look like on a smartphone.

vickie <vickie_00@...>

 I see there are more options added.
I like also  #  #27 by sulistyawan

However  the  black  background should  be changed  to a different color
Interesting thing is colors have meanings.

 Gold symbolizes  wealth, prosperity , wisdom
Orange symbolizes vitality with endurance
Gray symbolizes  sorrow, isolated feeling, emptiness
Green symbolizes life, nature, fertility, well being
Black symbolizes death, earth, stability,  threatening unknown
´