moderated Daily Summary Email

Hi All,

I like Maria's idea of a daily summary email. What should it contain? If it was just like a digest, it'd be way too long. Should it just contain a list of subjects of messages that were sent over the previous 24 hours?

Also, when should it be sent? I'm thinking perhaps morning time.

Frances

Hi everyone,

Would it be possible to contain the number of messages for each subject?

It might be interesting but ?not necessary? for the tags to be shown:

But things that do show should be clickable in the email.

Morning would be useful.

Frances

On Feb 2 17, at 2:43 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

I like Maria's idea of a daily summary email. What should it contain? If it was just like a digest, it'd be way too long. Should it just contain a list of subjects of messages that were sent over the previous 24 hours?

Also, when should it be sent? I'm thinking perhaps morning time.

Frances

Hi again,

If someone is overwhelmed with email (even by digests), won’t another email be annoying? If someone is getting 10 or more digests a day, that one summary email may be long.

For less active groups, it might be a useful tool though and encourage participation.

Frances

Steph Mathews <smathews@...>

I think that it should contain links to all of the topics from that day and the replies within that topic.  Steph

On 2/2/2017 1:43 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Hi All,

I like Maria's idea of a daily summary email. What should it contain? If it was just like a digest, it'd be way too long. Should it just contain a list of subjects of messages that were sent over the previous 24 hours?

Also, when should it be sent? I'm thinking perhaps morning time.

Mark,

I like Maria's idea of a daily summary email. What should it contain?
I like Frances' example (#12836), which looks a lot like the Topics View absent message snippets.
https://groups.io/g/beta/message/12836

If a snippet were included that would open again Brian's question about whether it should be from the most recent message rather than the topic starter. Or the oldest message covered by this summary.

Should it just contain a list of subjects of messages that were sent
over the previous 24 hours?
That might be best, as being the least likely to get snipped by a receiving mail interface.

Also, when should it be sent? I'm thinking perhaps morning time.
"Morning time" where? The subscriber's time zone? That would probably work for most people. Or have it be a subscription parameter.

And of course, is this summary subject to the advanced subscription options? I'd say yes it should be, for the same reasons the Digest is.

--
Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 11:58 am, Frances wrote:
If someone is overwhelmed with email (even by digests), won’t another email be annoying? If someone is getting 10 or more digests a day, that one summary email may be long.

Absolutely! My understanding was that this was going to be a new subscription option. They would choose *either* the summary *or* the digest. Is that a misunderstanding?

Maria

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 01:02 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
Absolutely! My understanding was that this was going to be a new subscription option. They would choose *either* the summary *or* the digest. Is that a misunderstanding?

Yes, that's what i meant. Another option not an additional email on top of digests. So you pick: special notice, digest, or daily summary, or individual posts.

I think it might be nice if it started with a summary like:

Your group has N new topics

Your group has N new replies

Then the index of topics  - and I love the idea of including the number icon to indicate how many posts exist in that topic and the graphic for the hashtag assigned to the topic. And would be cool if the hashtag were clickable to bring people to the page with other posts with that hashtag.

Then graphic links to : "Post a New Topic" "Vist Your Group" "Go to Your Account Settings" (just ideas...)

If it's a daily summary - i think it's OK to NOT have the actual posts in there but rather just have it all link one by one via the index to the individual posts/topics on the web interface.

Again - the issue with truncation in the gmail app is so annoying because those who get emails there think it's the service's fault when an email is truncated ( with no link to load rest). I guess it's hard for people to imagine that Gmail's app could be so silly as to do that...So on that account I'd vote to avoid anything that results in clipping.

Also - another reason to not include the whole posts in a daily summary of activity email is because of attachments. On groups where there is an image or 10 on each post, that summary email could be loaded with images and each IOS mail client kinda handles those differently - some well and some not so good.

I think a summary of activity that is easy to skim gives you an idea of what's going on and the opportunity to engage via web. It also helps people not "forget" about the group - something you don't get when you are on special notice only.

Re: snippet: It's tricky... I think the first sentence with an ellipsis to indicate there is more, could be useful to give a feeling that you are skimming, but you'd probably have to show the most recent post in that topic for the snippet, otherwise people will see same snippet each day for as long as that topics is active.

Maria

Maria,

I like this whole thing. People who subscribe to digest currently use it (at least in many cases) just to get an idea of what's happening, and then they reply on the site. So this would work for them.