moderated Digests tweak

Hi All,

Currently, digests go out every 12 messages and at 10pm pacific if there are any pending digest messages at all. In some active groups, this could lead to something like a 'full' 12 message digest and then a 1-2 message digest, and then another 12 message digest, in fairly rapid succession.

I am proposing changing the algorithm that forces a digest. My proposal is that at 10pm pacific, if there are pending digest messages *AND* the person has not received a digest in the last 12 hours, to generate a digest.

Thoughts?

Donald Hellen

Mark . . .

On Wed, 1 Feb 2017 13:14:34 -0800, "Mark Fletcher"
<markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

I am proposing changing the algorithm that forces a digest. My proposal is that at 10pm pacific, if there are pending digest messages *AND* the person has not received a digest in the last 12 hours, to generate a digest.
If I were using the digest version of a group, I would prefer it that
way. Better yet, how about a user-selectable setting for the time it
trips the digest to the member?

But I would prefer what you suggested over getting multiple ones close
together.

Donald

Frances

Mark wrote: "My proposal is that at 10pm pacific, if there are pending digest messages *AND* the person has not received a digest in the last 12 hours, to generate a digest."

Would you send out more than 12 messages if there were more waiting? I would not like to have "left-over" pending digest messages wait for 12 hours for another digest.

Frances

Mark,

I am proposing changing the algorithm that forces a digest. My
proposal is that at 10pm pacific, if there are pending digest
messages *AND* the person has not received a digest in the last 12
hours, to generate a digest.
This suggests to me another way of looking at Digests. Maybe instead of a time of day, you can trigger them by a maximum age for the oldest message in the digest when the max count/size hasn't been reached.

The extra bit of complexity might be offset by smoothing out the delivery burden (on the average - you'd still see the occasional rogue wave).

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Just got an offlist message from a member of my group who's also in another group, that one with a ginormous amount of daily traffic. She is being driven crazy, says she's now getting about a dozen digests a day. Suggests that the number of posts in a digest could be a member option. She had no problem with her email trimming long messages.

It does seem optimal, if at all feasible to implement, to let the number of posts be a member option.

Maria

In busy groups what I am seeing is: the increase in digests has helped increase activity. So that's a good thing.

But yes, perhaps there are those who are wondering why they are getting 2x the amount of digests, but still may prefer the fact that finally they work well - lets remember that not only were they clipped - they were truncated with no link in gmail app PLUS the reply to links didn't work properly in the expanded version - so big issues.

But I did receive one feedback from a person who felt the frequency of digests was too much (even though it's exactly the way it was on Y! now) - this was a newbie so the prior user "training" didn't apply, and I suspect that even the 1 digest every 25 messages would have felt like too much for that person as they still would have gotten 2 or even 3 in a 24 hour period from 2 of our busy groups. I'm actively requesting feedback so I may learn more.

My suggestion at the moment, is to have an additional email delivery option: "daily summary of activity". This could be every 24 hours/ daily. I'd suggest on that one (since it will be clipped/truncated) to make the index titles link to the actual web version of the posts. I'd also suggest that the reply links link to the web interface so people can use that to reply (because the reply links don't work well after the digest gets truncated). And this could be an elective option for those who don't want multiple digests but don't want special notices only.

Also - i think once the issue of that 1AM digest is resolved that will help too.

Maria

Frances

Hi

Perhaps more info to subscribers about alternative ways to subscribe?

There is a link in the footer to Change Your Subscription. If you get every post as a separate email, we get follow / unfollow.

Not sure about digest. Perhaps links or help there would be good? Or clearer?

Frances

In the group in question, the traffic has always been several hundred messages per day. The person who complained is a very experienced group member and practically (although I believe, unofficially) runs the group in question. Yesterday she literally received 11 digests from the IBD group. This is almost causing her to go no-email.

Those sound like good suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 2, 2017, at 10:38 AM, HR Tech via Groups.Io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

[...]

That was a typo. She received 12 digests, not 11.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 2, 2017, at 11:35 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

[...]

For now, I've changed it so that a digest will not be forced at 10pm pacific time if a digest has been sent out within the previous 6 hours. We'll see how that goes; I can always tweak it.

Mark,