moderated Event: Site maintenance, Thursday, 2 February 2017 #downtime #cal-invite


beta@groups.io Calendar <beta@...>
 

Site maintenance

When:
Thursday, 2 February 2017
9:00pm to 11:00pm
(GMT-08:00) America/Los Angeles

Description:

The site will be down to upgrade the main database machine. Emails sent during this time will be queued and delivered after the site is back up.


Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

Might this not be something that should show up in each and every group in groups.io?  It seems like it's something that every user should be aware of.  I have seen this notice, and the related post about planned outage, only on beta.

I would hope that a mechanism exists for "the Grand Poo-Bah of Groups.io"  [Mark right now and for the foreseeable future] to blast a message out to each and every group in existence at a given point in time.
--
Brian

You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

    ~ Anne Lamott


 

Mark,

Brian wrote:
Might this not be something that should show up in each and every
group in groups.io? It seems like it's something that every user
should be aware of. I have seen this notice, and the related post
about planned outage, only on beta.
I concur with Brian. I was thinking that perhaps this calendar entry would be better placed on updates@, as that reaches far more users. Or perhaps there should be a separate list for site status.

I would hope that a mechanism exists for "the Grand Poo-Bah of
Groups.io" [Mark right now and for the foreseeable future] to blast
a message out to each and every group in existence at a given point
in time.
I wouldn't want that posted as a message in my groups, as a group owner I'd find that intrusive. However a status banner on the web pages (all of them), just below the logo bar, might make sense.

For an event like this I don't think an email blast to _all_ users is warranted: the vast majority are unlikely to visit the site during the affected hours anyway. A notice on the site pages would be better targeted.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum


Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:28 am, Shal Farley wrote:
I wouldn't want that posted as a message in my groups, as a group owner I'd find that intrusive.

I can't and won't argue with anyone's personal preferences, they are what they are.

That being said, there are users from all over the world who use Groups.io, and a number of them could very well be quite active during the scheduled maintenance time.  While the e-mail messages will be queued up, it could be very confusing to have stuff seemingly MIA for several hours without warning.  Intrusive is precisely what I'd be looking for as a user can read, or delete, an e-mail message at will or skip any entry on the web interface.  When it comes to scheduled outages I prefer overkill in notification to individual users rather than subtlety.
--
Brian

You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

    ~ Anne Lamott


 

At first I liked the idea, but a status banner works better for me. Plus I hate to think about what the spam filters would do if the messages were sent to all the groups....
J


Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 1, 2017, at 10:28 AM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@gmail.com> wrote:

Mark,

Brian wrote:
Might this not be something that should show up in each and every
group in groups.io? It seems like it's something that every user
should be aware of. I have seen this notice, and the related post
about planned outage, only on beta.
I concur with Brian. I was thinking that perhaps this calendar entry would be better placed on updates@, as that reaches far more users. Or perhaps there should be a separate list for site status.

I would hope that a mechanism exists for "the Grand Poo-Bah of
Groups.io" [Mark right now and for the foreseeable future] to blast
a message out to each and every group in existence at a given point
in time.
I wouldn't want that posted as a message in my groups, as a group owner I'd find that intrusive. However a status banner on the web pages (all of them), just below the logo bar, might make sense.

For an event like this I don't think an email blast to _all_ users is warranted: the vast majority are unlikely to visit the site during the affected hours anyway. A notice on the site pages would be better targeted.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 10:50 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
At first I liked the idea, but a status banner works better for me. Plus I hate to think about what the spam filters would do if the messages were sent to all the groups....

I can fairly confidently state that if I were to send a message unilaterally to all groups, I would have a mutiny on my hands. 

I like the banner idea; I'll put one up this afternoon.

Thanks,
Mark 


Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 11:24 am, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I can fairly confidently state that if I were to send a message unilaterally to all groups, I would have a mutiny on my hands.

Good heavens, people are fussy then, aren't they?!

There are several systems I use that routinely send me e-mail messages about planned outages, and that's the reason I suggested it.  They might come twice or three timed per year.  Unless I'm missing something those who interact via e-mail only will be left completely in the dark about this, which I don't think is good at all.

However, not my call. 
--
Brian

You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

    ~ Anne Lamott


 

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 11:24 am, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I can fairly confidently state that if I were to send a message unilaterally to all groups, I would have a mutiny on my hands.

Good heavens, people are fussy then, aren't they?!


I learned long ago that group owners are very possessive of their groups and members, and do not like anything happening with their groups that they don't know about or control. Note, this is not a criticism.

Mark


Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

Mark,

         I appreciate entirely that what you offered is not a criticism.   I hope then, when complaints come in (and they probably will) that you explain it as you have here.

         I cannot, for the life of me, ever imagine not wanting to make my group members aware of a site-wide outage of several hours when it's planned in advance and is for necessary maintenance.  In fact, I'd expect an announcement of that nature as it's vital information for users to have.  Clearly certain group owners differ.

         Chacun à son goût, and let the chips fall where they may!

--
Brian

You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

    ~ Anne Lamott


Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@...>
 

Hello, what is Lee had a message that went out to each individual subscriber when they attempted to try to post to the group. Town like something that they would get, if they were trying to send a message to a moderate a group they get a notice that there messages being held for approval but instead this will be a message stating that that Group site is down for scheduled maintenance. Just a thoughtful suggestion.

On Feb 1, 2017, at 1:31 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 11:24 am, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I can fairly confidently state that if I were to send a message unilaterally to all groups, I would have a mutiny on my hands.

Good heavens, people are fussy then, aren't they?!

There are several systems I use that routinely send me e-mail messages about planned outages, and that's the reason I suggested it.  They might come twice or three timed per year.  Unless I'm missing something those who interact via e-mail only will be left completely in the dark about this, which I don't think is good at all.

However, not my call. 
--
Brian


You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

    ~ Anne Lamott



 

Hi Brian and others,

For Win10 forum: hashtag has been added for archival purposes.

I considered putting Win10 in lock-down mode starting tomorrow evening until an all-clear is sounded, but…

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: beta@groups.io [mailto:beta@groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, February 1, 2017 11:44 AM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Event: Site maintenance, Thursday, 2 February 2017 #downtime #cal-invite

 

Mark,

         I appreciate entirely that what you offered is not a criticism.   I hope then, when complaints come in (and they probably will) that you explain it as you have here.

         I cannot, for the life of me, ever imagine not wanting to make my group members aware of a site-wide outage of several hours when it's planned in advance and is for necessary maintenance.  In fact, I'd expect an announcement of that nature as it's vital information for users to have.  Clearly certain group owners differ.

         Chacun à son goût, and let the chips fall where they may!

--
Brian

You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

    ~ Anne Lamott


 

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 11:38 am, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I learned long ago that group owners are very possessive of their groups and members, and do not like anything happening with their groups that they don't know about or control.

Right. It can be a cultural thing. Some groups might simply forward your message verbatim (as i did today, modulo screwing up the date and having to correct it lol). Sometimes I will preface it with "forwarded from Groups.io's fearless leader." Some groups might want to write, "Yo! [insert hip-speak here indicating system will be down]" Some groups might want all communication to be in Swahili.

As for Brian's comment about fussiness, yeah, I'm fussy and proud of it! 

Seriously: some members won't care at all about the downtime and would be annoyed by emails. In some cases, that includes me. In some services I use, it simply goes down when it goes down, and if you want info, you go to the site. I sure would not want emails every time every system I use goes down. When I was a yahoo participant (before becoming a group owner) I certainly would not have wanted them.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

I like Joseph's idea.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 11:55 am, J_Catlady wrote:
if you want info, you go to the site

Meaning: you go to the site designated to find out whether the system is down. 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
 

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 11:47 am, Joseph Hudson wrote:
a message that went out to each individual subscriber when they attempted to try to post to the group.  [My addition: while the outage was in effect]

Which is a perfectly reasonable, preferable I'd say, alternative to a broadcast message.  That way no one but someone who might be directly affected/confused by a previously unexplained outage would have the information about what's going on.  This is directly parallel to the "dead in the water page with the Groups.io kitten(s)" that I get when the site is down for whatever reason when you try to access the web interface.

This should satisfy fussy group owners, too.
--
Brian

You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

    ~ Anne Lamott


Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@...>
 

I figured you might like it, that's why put it out there thanks Jay.

On Feb 1, 2017, at 1:57 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I like Joseph's idea.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu



Joseph Hudson <jhud7789@...>
 

I agree, and if it doesn't satisfy dust fuzzy group owners then oh well. You can't find a much better site to run your group on other than this one. Especially with everything being very accessible, and plus having a guru to discuss things with the developer/owner of the site. I don't think anybody besides Mark Fletcher, could do anything like this. He definitely has a lot of patience.

On Feb 1, 2017, at 2:01 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 11:47 am, Joseph Hudson wrote:
a message that went out to each individual subscriber when they attempted to try to post to the group.  [My addition: while the outage was in effect]

Which is a perfectly reasonable, preferable I'd say, alternative to a broadcast message.  That way no one but someone who might be directly affected/confused by a previously unexplained outage would have the information about what's going on.  This is directly parallel to the "dead in the water page with the Groups.io kitten(s)" that I get when the site is down for whatever reason when you try to access the web interface.

This should satisfy fussy group owners, too.
--
Brian


You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

    ~ Anne Lamott



Maria
 

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 11:24 am, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I like the banner idea; I'll put one up this afternoon.

Banner works great for us. We can send an announcement to our groups if we think the time/outage will interfere.

Don't think an auto-reply back message via email is necessary for us -  we moderate posts anyway - so a delay is anticipated and the hours during which the maintenance will occur will be off hours for us.

Maria


Sugar
 

Mark, I for one appreciate allthe work and have passed the info to my group so that they are aware.

Thank you from Santa’s Workshop..smile

sugar

 

‘I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the

night.

 

Sugar

 

From: beta@groups.io [mailto:beta@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Fletcher
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 11:38 AM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Event: Site maintenance, Thursday, 2 February 2017 #downtime #cal-invite

 

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 11:24 am, Mark Fletcher wrote:

I can fairly confidently state that if I were to send a message unilaterally to all groups, I would have a mutiny on my hands.

Good heavens, people are fussy then, aren't they?!

 

I learned long ago that group owners are very possessive of their groups and members, and do not like anything happening with their groups that they don't know about or control. Note, this is not a criticism.

 

Mark




Sugar
 

Here, here.

 

‘I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the

night.

 

Sugar

 

From: beta@groups.io [mailto:beta@groups.io] On Behalf Of Joseph Hudson
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2017 12:13 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Event: Site maintenance, Thursday, 2 February 2017 #downtime #cal-invite

 

I agree, and if it doesn't satisfy dust fuzzy group owners then oh well. You can't find a much better site to run your group on other than this one. Especially with everything being very accessible, and plus having a guru to discuss things with the developer/owner of the site. I don't think anybody besides Mark Fletcher, could do anything like this. He definitely has a lot of patience.

On Feb 1, 2017, at 2:01 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

 

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 11:47 am, Joseph Hudson wrote:

a message that went out to each individual subscriber when they attempted to try to post to the group.  [My addition: while the outage was in effect]

Which is a perfectly reasonable, preferable I'd say, alternative to a broadcast message.  That way no one but someone who might be directly affected/confused by a previously unexplained outage would have the information about what's going on.  This is directly parallel to the "dead in the water page with the Groups.io kitten(s)" that I get when the site is down for whatever reason when you try to access the web interface.

This should satisfy fussy group owners, too.
--
Brian

 

You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

    ~ Anne Lamott