Topics

moderated photos on home page


Ro
 

Just to revisit it again, I really really REALLY want an owner setting so we can choose that recent photos dont display on the home page. 


Ro


 

I would "vote" for this as well if the duplicates issue can't be fixed.
J

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Ro <recarlton@...> wrote:

Just to revisit it again, I really really REALLY want an owner setting so we can choose that recent photos dont display on the home page. 


Ro



--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

I am tempted to nuke the photos on the home page, for several reasons (duplicates being one). Any strenuous objections to doing so?

Thanks,
Mark

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 8:02 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I would "vote" for this as well if the duplicates issue can't be fixed.
J

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Ro <recarlton@...> wrote:

Just to revisit it again, I really really REALLY want an owner setting so we can choose that recent photos dont display on the home page. 


Ro



--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu



Ro
 

Bless you my son!


Ro

with Silk wearing her rosary, and Sally, Handy, Feliz &  Police Kitty patrolling in the Great Beyond.





From: beta@groups.io <beta@groups.io> on behalf of Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:02 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] photos on home page
 
I am tempted to nuke the photos on the home page, for several reasons (duplicates being one). Any strenuous objections to doing so?

Thanks,
Mark

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 8:02 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I would "vote" for this as well if the duplicates issue can't be fixed.
J

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Ro <recarlton@...> wrote:

Just to revisit it again, I really really REALLY want an owner setting so we can choose that recent photos dont display on the home page. 


Ro



--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu



 

Not from me!
J

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 9:02 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
I am tempted to nuke the photos on the home page, for several reasons (duplicates being one). Any strenuous objections to doing so?

Thanks,
Mark

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 8:02 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I would "vote" for this as well if the duplicates issue can't be fixed.
J

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 7:43 PM, Ro <recarlton@...> wrote:

Just to revisit it again, I really really REALLY want an owner setting so we can choose that recent photos dont display on the home page. 


Ro



--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu




--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Linda
 

Hi Mark,
I'd be sad - I love the look of our home page with the photos:
https://1a-travelzine.groups.io/g/ZINE

Linda


David P. Dillard
 

Also one or more photographs on a home page adds to the impact, interest and beauty of a website. Visual images attract activity and interest to
web resources and are very important in areas like history, art, science and touism just to name a few.



Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@temple.edu

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017, Linda wrote:

Hi Mark,
I'd be sad - I love the look of our home page with the photos:
https://1a-travelzine.groups.io/g/ZINE

Linda



Jean Bennett
 

No objection here.  Our group disallows attachments anyway - so either way is not a problem for us.  More important to us would be an automatic notification that a new photo has been added to the photos section, and the ability to rearrange photos within albums and to comment directly on photos.  Those are things that we really miss from the Yahoo days.  I know those are on the "to do" list and we are really hoping that they can be accomplished in 2017.

Jean

#OrlandoStrong


Sue
 

As long as we can keep the main picture which defines our group then we are not bothered about having any others showing on the home page. We are not a photo-heavy group. Like Jean we do not allow attachments so the problem others are experiencing doesn’t bother us but it would be tidier not to have the words regarding recent photos when there are never going to be any.

 

Sue

 


 

Another point besides the duplication (often causing as many as 5-6 of thdcsame photo in a row) is the other serious issue/problem with this feature that 'recently posted photos' is a misnomer. They're the emailed photos, and months-old photos will remain as the group's 'headline' while very recently posted (actually posted) photos don't show up there, often inexplicably to the group members who posted them and completely misrepresenting current activity in the group. I forgot to reiterate that in this thread and just wanted to include that reminder. I'd nuke it.
J

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 18, 2017, at 3:33 AM, Sue <sue.tier@...> wrote:

As long as we can keep the main picture which defines our group then we are not bothered about having any others showing on the home page. We are not a photo-heavy group. Like Jean we do not allow attachments so the problem others are experiencing doesn’t bother us but it would be tidier not to have the words regarding recent photos when there are never going to be any.

 

Sue

 


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

ps If you do nuke it, it might be a good replacement to display the 'emailed photos' page in reverse chronological rather than alphabetical order, or allow that as an option. 
J

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 18, 2017, at 4:47 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Another point besides the duplication (often causing as many as 5-6 of thdcsame photo in a row) is the other serious issue/problem with this feature that 'recently posted photos' is a misnomer. They're the emailed photos, and months-old photos will remain as the group's 'headline' while very recently posted (actually posted) photos don't show up there, often inexplicably to the group members who posted them and completely misrepresenting current activity in the group. I forgot to reiterate that in this thread and just wanted to include that reminder. I'd nuke it.
J

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 18, 2017, at 3:33 AM, Sue <sue.tier@...> wrote:

As long as we can keep the main picture which defines our group then we are not bothered about having any others showing on the home page. We are not a photo-heavy group. Like Jean we do not allow attachments so the problem others are experiencing doesn’t bother us but it would be tidier not to have the words regarding recent photos when there are never going to be any.

 

Sue

 


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Maria
 

I like the photos on the homepage...I haven't noticed any issues with duplication in our group because the posts with photos are in a group where reply is to sender so there are no carry overs.

Separately - when you click on photos i think it would be ideal to see them in chronological order with most recent being first by default.

Maria


 

Re the reverse chrono order for the emailed photos page: that would also make it at least somewhat feasible to remove the duplicates if you keep the photos on the home page.
J

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 18, 2017, at 6:52 AM, HR Tech via Groups.Io <m.conway11@...> wrote:

I like the photos on the homepage...I haven't noticed any issues with duplication in our group because the posts with photos are in a group where reply is to sender so there are no carry overs.

Separately - when you click on photos i think it would be ideal to see them in chronological order with most recent being first by default.

Maria


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Ro
 

I see no photos on your home page other than your regular home page photo...


Ro

with Silk gazing over the fence, and Sally, Handy, Feliz &  Police Kitty patrolling in the Great Beyond.





From: beta@groups.io <beta@groups.io> on behalf of Linda <lindon@...>
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 2:36 AM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] photos on home page
 
Hi Mark,
I'd be sad - I love the look of our home page with the photos:
https://1a-travelzine.groups.io/g/ZINE

Linda




 

I see no photos on your home page other than your regular home page photo...

Scroll down to "recently posted photos" towards the bottom of the page. (If you're going to say there are no duplicates, it's because I've removed all that were possible to remove. The rest have fallen off the bottom as time moved on, but they're still in there and impossible to remove because of the way the emailed photos page is ordered.)
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


 

Ro,

I see no photos on your home page other than your regular home page
photo...
They aren't shown to non-members.

Which severely limits their utility as a group promotional tool, but preserves the privacy of the archives.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum


 

Another option is to only put deliberately uploaded photos on the home page, excluding those that come in by email. That would likely get rid of most of the problems while still allowing new photo uploads to be highlighted.

JohnF


 

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 7:13 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Re the reverse chrono order for the emailed photos page: that would also make it at least somewhat feasible to remove the duplicates if you keep the photos on the home page.

I've changed the default ordering of the emailed photos album to be most recent first.

Thanks,
Mark 


 

Yay! 
J

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 24, 2017, at 2:48 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 7:13 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Re the reverse chrono order for the emailed photos page: that would also make it at least somewhat feasible to remove the duplicates if you keep the photos on the home page.

I've changed the default ordering of the emailed photos album to be most recent first.

Thanks,
Mark 

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author. Especially the fishy ones.

I wish I could shut up, but I can't, and I won't. - Desmond Tutu


Carol Good
 

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 03:21 am, Jean Bennett wrote:
No objection here. Our group disallows attachments anyway - so either way is
not a problem for us. More important to us would be an automatic notification
that a new photo has been added to the photos section, and the ability to
rearrange photos within albums and to comment directly on photos. Those are
things that we really miss from the Yahoo days. I know those are on the "to
do" list and we are really hoping that they can be accomplished in 2017.
I'd like to just follow up on this and add that we could really use automatic notification of both photos and files uploaded to our group. We've just transferred our yahoogroup (marvellous service, Mark!) and clicking around today I found that one member has been busy uploading photos. We don't want to restrict members from either sort of upload but with certain people we do like to keep a close eye on what they're up to.

Carol