moderated Date format settings #suggestion

Jean, et al,

I think I've said this before, but if not, let me be clear, any date format changes will be user specifiable.

I will make this change, but I don't know when it will happen.

Topic has been beaten, I will not approve any more messages on it.

On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 11:38 AM, Jean Bennett via Groups.Io <jcbennett@...> wrote:
I feel just as strongly that it should remain as is if it cannot be set optionally at the group or individual level. We do not believe our members should be subjected to confusion to accommodate newcomers.

Jean

#OrlandoStrong

I don't know what you mean by "newcomers". Some of us have been on Groups.io
almost from the beginning, and find the illogical MMDDYY format confusing. If
there is no choice, it should be the logical international format that should
confuse nobody. Failing that DDMMYY is used by most of the world and therefore
a better choice than MMDDYY (and more logical). Another alternative that should
be universally acceptable is to put the month in words (or three letter
abbreviations), although this is not as easily used for sorting as the
international format is..

Jim Fisher

--
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom (needs updating)

Sue,

However I would happily accept yyyy/mm/dd as a universal compromise,
ISO standard 8601 would be YYYY-MM-DD (hyphens, not slashes). Be that as it may...

not least because my group does have members from various countries
including the USA.
A date/time format selection, like the timezone selection, I imagine will end up being a personal selection in one's account. With a default set by the first group you join, if you join one before setting the option in your account (e.g. you accept an email invitation, or are transferred in from Yahoo, etc.).

I don't know, but I wouldn't expect a site-wide change of format before the account option.

Shal

Jean Bennett

Not to belabor the issue, but, as you said, we want to see and understand that with which we have been familiar all our lives. That is why I feel strongly that the date format should be set optionally at the user or group level or, if that is not feasible, be left as it currently is to avoid confusing our members.

Jean

#OrlandoStrong

Sue

Jean,

I am in the UK and therefore, obviously, would prefer the date to be
dd/mm/yyyy. Equally I understand that those in the USA would prefer
mm/dd/yyyy. And of course, Mark being American would naturally create the
date format that he is familiar with. That is fully understood. However
Groups io is growing and becoming international and so I think it is not
surprising that people are asking the question about other date formats.
It is not a question of seniority at Groups io (my group has also been here
for two years), I think that is irrelevant. It is a question of being able
to see and instantly understand something we have known all our lives.
However I would happily accept yyyy/mm/dd as a universal compromise, not
least because my group does have members from various countries including
the USA.

Sue

I feel just as strongly that it should remain as is if it cannot be set
optionally at the group or individual level. We do not believe our members
should be subjected to confusion to accommodate newcomers.

I have no opinion on this except to say that the issue is not whether or not to accommodate ‘newcomers.’ I think the desires and needs of all members are important, newcomers or not. (Please note: I am not a ‘newcomer.’)

On Feb 25, 2018, at 11:38 AM, Jean Bennett via Groups.Io <jcbennett=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I feel just as strongly that it should remain as is if it cannot be set optionally at the group or individual level. We do not believe our members should be subjected to confusion to accommodate newcomers.

Jean

#OrlandoStrong

Jean Bennett

I feel just as strongly that it should remain as is if it cannot be set optionally at the group or individual level. We do not believe our members should be subjected to confusion to accommodate newcomers.

Jean

#OrlandoStrong

Sue

Hi,

I would also like to add my voice to those wishing to have the dates shown in something other than standard American. With Groups io becoming more international by the day, the international format would seem a good idea if a single format is easiest to code. I’m not too bothered about having it everywhere but I would like the date format in the database so my date column recognises the numbers I enter there as a date and so can be searchable.

Sue

Sharon Villines

On Feb 13, 2018, at 5:21 AM, Ian Gillis <tessel.bas@gmail.com> wrote:
In messages the English groups use the format from the RFC headers, viz. 24 January 2018
I find this clearest — with the month spelled out. I started using this when my email groups and clients became international. It’s the clearest for everyone even if it is not conventional locally. My copy editor for my last book even allowed this format in the bibliography.

then yyyy/mm/dd is IMHO the most logical choice.
I use this on files when I want them to sort chronologically. Otherwise, I find people are confused by it. And the further we go into the 2000’s the more people will want to use only 2 numbers for the year. I’m already getting questions about this.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
TakomaTime, a neighborhood timebank
takomatime.timebanks.org

Jean Bennett

If the date format cannot be set as a local preference, then our US-based group prefers it stay just as it is now rather than confuse our members (who have been with Groups.io for over two years).

Jean

#OrlandoStrong

Dear kr402,

I live in France and run Yahoo groups in English and in French.

In messages the English groups use the format from the RFC headers, viz. 24 January 2018
The French groups translate the month, viz. 24 janvier 2018 (note the lower case initial letter for the month).

The short-form versions used by Yahoo for notifications are 24 Jan, 2017 or 24 janv. 2017.

There is a European Norm which invokes ISO 8601 - it's referred to as "EN ISO 8601" - which is a pan-European standard and thus should apply to the UK and France - although what happens after Brexit is anyone's guess! It uses only numerals which avoids the translation and usage problems for the months.

Common usage in the UK is dd/mm/yyyy, as it is in France. However the clumsy, confusing and illogical 12-hour system with am and pm is used for time in the UK and the 24-hour system in Europe.

Ideally Groups IO should make the date and time format settable to suit local preferences, but if this is "too hard" then yyyy/mm/dd is IMHO the most logical choice.

--
______________________________________
 Ian Gillis C Eng MIET

On 12 February 2018 at 23:43, kr402 via Groups.Io <kr402@...> wrote:

On Feb 12, 2018, at 2:01 PM, Ian Gillis <tessel.bas@...> wrote:

About the only criticism of my transferred former Yahoo group of retired Marconi (UK) engineers was the date format. Absolutely no-one likes mm-dd-yyyy, everyone would be happy with the European dd-mm-yyyy but a fair few would be prepared to accept the ISO 8601 yyyy-mm-dd. I understand that to a US developer mm-dd-yyyy is familiar and doesn't yell "Change Me!" - but to a retired UK engineer it's very irritating and a potential source of schedule errors…

hmmm, what do you propose different for each region?
EG: Ygroups has U.K. groups.
Is the date there
European dd-mm-yyyy ?

--
______________________________________
 Ian Gillis C Eng MIET

kr402

[...]

Tim J <secretary@...>

Hi All,

What might not be apparent to all is that the rapidly decaying corpse of Yahoo Groups is forcing groups at an ever increasing pace to find a better solution.  This includes many groups in the UK and Europe (and possibly elsewhere) who do not use the US date format.

Can I please add a strong vote for moving the whole of Groups.io across to the international date format so everyone on the planet is on a level playing field.  This will make a great product into a fantastic one.  Such a small thing shouldn't make a difference, but it really does make it almost unworkable in the UK as the US dates cause so much confusion.

Thanks.

Jeremy H

Is there any progress on this? - either to make date/time format a user chooseable option, and ideally one which can be set as a default by a group (as timezone now is), or to make the standard format the international (ISO 8601 yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm) one (which has the advantage that, unlike the various nn/nn/nn date formats, no mistakeable variant is in common use anywhere).

Dave Sergeant

A late comer to this thread. Mark, I hope you can arrange for us to select the European date format DD/MM/YYYY as an option. Your MM/DD/YYYY is totally confusing for us in the UK and leads to all sorts of misunderstanding. I have enabled absolute dates in my settings (ie Feb 21st 2017) but the MM/DD/YYYY keeps appearing in all sorts of places. We are looking to move one of our groups over from Yahoogroups to a new one I created today but we really need proper UK times and dates.

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Sue <sue.tier@...> wrote:
I asked Mark about either being able to choose a date format or using the international date a while back and he said he didn't have a time scale for supporting it yet.

Right. Last time I looked into this, one of the open source libraries I use, for the date picker in the calendar, only supported the one date format that we currently use. I haven't had a chance to see if it's been updated.

Supporting multiple date formats is definitely on the TODO list.

Ronaldo,

Obviously, it you want to be international, you would need UTC, or at
least the option of UTC (which apparently is called "zulu time" in
some circles...)
Heh, well no. Choice of timezone for display is independent of choice of formatting.

But if you want Zulu time you can go into your Account and on the Preferences page select "(UTC) Monrovia, Reykjavik" as your Timezone. That's the one that will get you Zulu aka UTC time. The two other "UTC" choices do summertime adjustments (so part of the year they are actually UTC+01:00).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time#Time_zones

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Sue

I asked Mark about either being able to choose a date format or using the international date a while back and he said he didn't have a time scale for supporting it yet.

Sue

Well but grouops.io <http://grouops.io> I suppose is world wide so I > see no point of keeping the date to US format only.
I agree with that.

ro-esp

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 05:54 pm, Shal Farley wrote:

Göran,

> Well but groups.io <http://groups.io> I suppose is world wide so I
> see no point of keeping the date to US format only.

I agree with that.

My (somewhat humorously intended) point was that if we have a single
format, it may as well be the international standard one rather than the
US one.

> Why not be flexible to have this option? It will only be positive
> response.
Obviously, it you want to be international, you would need UTC, or at least the option of UTC
(which apparently is called "zulu time" in some circles...)

groetjes, Ronaldo