Topics

moderated Date format settings #suggestion

Göran <goran@...>

Suggestion

Date format option settings to be able to set the date format like

YYYY/MM/DD

DD/MM/YYYY

Regards

Göran

Given that YYYY/MM/DD has been the ISO 8601 standard since 1988, I think that format makes a lot of sense to include. That format, including the associated time notation. allows a chronological list by simply using numeric order.

DD/MM/YYYY also has it's proponents in various countries. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601 for other various national standards.

Dano

> Suggestion
>
> Date format option settings to be able to set the date format like
>
> YYYY/MM/DD
>
> DD/MM/YYYY
>
> Regards
>
> Göran

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

It would seem (and I know it may not be in fact) that it would be possible to give a number of "Absolute" date display options on an individual's account preferences page under the "Time Display" option [which really should read Date-Time display option].  Right now the only two options are "Relative", e.g. 5 minutes ago, 3 days ago, or "Absolute," e.g. Jan 13, 2017, 5:33PM.  I'd imagine that the current single "Absolute" has to be controlled "under the hood" by a standard date-time formatting string that most application software or OS date-time functions use.  If that's the case, then expanding the range of "Absolute" style displays in a dropdown should be relatively easy and I'd think that anyone who uses a computer would recognize something like, YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM, versus, YYYY/MM/DD hh:mm.

What could also be used would be relative, as is, and if you picked Absolute then you would be expected to type in your date-time formatting string using a set of explanatory letter combinations shown below, such as HH for 12-hour clock hour versus 'hh' for 24-hour clock hour, etc.  There would be a default, of course, but it could be changed to suit the user perfectly.
--
Brian

I have made mistakes, but have never made the mistake of claiming I never made one.

          ~  James G. Bennet

Göran,

Date format option settings to be able to set the date format like

YYYY/MM/DD
YYYY-MM-DD is an international standard ISO 8601:
https://xkcd.com/1179/

DD/MM/YYYY
Nope. On the discouraged list, along with MM/DD/YYYY as used in most of the US. ;-)

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Göran <goran@...>

Well but grouops.io I suppose is world wide so I see no point of keeping the date to US format only. Why not be flexible to have this option? It will only be positive response

/Göran

Skickat från BlueMail
Den 14 jan. 2017, kI 01:14, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> skrev:

Göran,

Date format option settings to be able to set the date format like

YYYY/MM/DD

YYYY-MM-DD is an international standard ISO 8601:
https://xkcd.com/1179/

DD/MM/YYYY

Nope. On the discouraged list, along with MM/DD/YYYY as used in most of
the US. ;-)

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Göran,

Well but grouops.io <http://grouops.io> I suppose is world wide so I
see no point of keeping the date to US format only.
I agree with that.

My (somewhat humorously intended) point was that if we have a single format, it may as well be the international standard one rather than the US one.

Why not be flexible to have this option? It will only be positive
response.
I don't have any objection to that.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

ro-esp

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 05:54 pm, Shal Farley wrote:

Göran,

> Well but groups.io <http://groups.io> I suppose is world wide so I
> see no point of keeping the date to US format only.

I agree with that.

My (somewhat humorously intended) point was that if we have a single
format, it may as well be the international standard one rather than the
US one.

> Why not be flexible to have this option? It will only be positive
> response.
Obviously, it you want to be international, you would need UTC, or at least the option of UTC
(which apparently is called "zulu time" in some circles...)

groetjes, Ronaldo

Sue

I asked Mark about either being able to choose a date format or using the international date a while back and he said he didn't have a time scale for supporting it yet.

Sue

Well but grouops.io <http://grouops.io> I suppose is world wide so I > see no point of keeping the date to US format only.
I agree with that.

Ronaldo,

Obviously, it you want to be international, you would need UTC, or at
least the option of UTC (which apparently is called "zulu time" in
some circles...)
Heh, well no. Choice of timezone for display is independent of choice of formatting.

But if you want Zulu time you can go into your Account and on the Preferences page select "(UTC) Monrovia, Reykjavik" as your Timezone. That's the one that will get you Zulu aka UTC time. The two other "UTC" choices do summertime adjustments (so part of the year they are actually UTC+01:00).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time#Time_zones

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Sue <sue.tier@...> wrote:
I asked Mark about either being able to choose a date format or using the international date a while back and he said he didn't have a time scale for supporting it yet.

Right. Last time I looked into this, one of the open source libraries I use, for the date picker in the calendar, only supported the one date format that we currently use. I haven't had a chance to see if it's been updated.

Supporting multiple date formats is definitely on the TODO list.

Dave Sergeant

A late comer to this thread. Mark, I hope you can arrange for us to select the European date format DD/MM/YYYY as an option. Your MM/DD/YYYY is totally confusing for us in the UK and leads to all sorts of misunderstanding. I have enabled absolute dates in my settings (ie Feb 21st 2017) but the MM/DD/YYYY keeps appearing in all sorts of places. We are looking to move one of our groups over from Yahoogroups to a new one I created today but we really need proper UK times and dates.

Jeremy H

Is there any progress on this? - either to make date/time format a user chooseable option, and ideally one which can be set as a default by a group (as timezone now is), or to make the standard format the international (ISO 8601 yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm) one (which has the advantage that, unlike the various nn/nn/nn date formats, no mistakeable variant is in common use anywhere).

Tim J <secretary@...>

Hi All,

What might not be apparent to all is that the rapidly decaying corpse of Yahoo Groups is forcing groups at an ever increasing pace to find a better solution.  This includes many groups in the UK and Europe (and possibly elsewhere) who do not use the US date format.

Can I please add a strong vote for moving the whole of Groups.io across to the international date format so everyone on the planet is on a level playing field.  This will make a great product into a fantastic one.  Such a small thing shouldn't make a difference, but it really does make it almost unworkable in the UK as the US dates cause so much confusion.

Thanks.

About the only criticism of my transferred former Yahoo group of retired Marconi (UK) engineers was the date format. Absolutely no-one likes mm-dd-yyyy, everyone would be happy with the European dd-mm-yyyy but a fair few would be prepared to accept the ISO 8601 yyyy-mm-dd. I understand that to a US developer mm-dd-yyyy is familiar and doesn't yell "Change Me!" - but to a retired UK engineer it's very irritating and a potential source of schedule errors…
--
______________________________________
 Ian Gillis C Eng MIET

kr402

On Feb 12, 2018, at 2:01 PM, Ian Gillis <tessel.bas@...> wrote:

About the only criticism of my transferred former Yahoo group of retired Marconi (UK) engineers was the date format. Absolutely no-one likes mm-dd-yyyy, everyone would be happy with the European dd-mm-yyyy but a fair few would be prepared to accept the ISO 8601 yyyy-mm-dd. I understand that to a US developer mm-dd-yyyy is familiar and doesn't yell "Change Me!" - but to a retired UK engineer it's very irritating and a potential source of schedule errors…

hmmm, what do you propose different for each region?
EG: Ygroups has U.K. groups.
Is the date there
European dd-mm-yyyy ?

Dear kr402,

I live in France and run Yahoo groups in English and in French.

In messages the English groups use the format from the RFC headers, viz. 24 January 2018
The French groups translate the month, viz. 24 janvier 2018 (note the lower case initial letter for the month).

The short-form versions used by Yahoo for notifications are 24 Jan, 2017 or 24 janv. 2017.

There is a European Norm which invokes ISO 8601 - it's referred to as "EN ISO 8601" - which is a pan-European standard and thus should apply to the UK and France - although what happens after Brexit is anyone's guess! It uses only numerals which avoids the translation and usage problems for the months.

Common usage in the UK is dd/mm/yyyy, as it is in France. However the clumsy, confusing and illogical 12-hour system with am and pm is used for time in the UK and the 24-hour system in Europe.

Ideally Groups IO should make the date and time format settable to suit local preferences, but if this is "too hard" then yyyy/mm/dd is IMHO the most logical choice.

--
______________________________________
 Ian Gillis C Eng MIET

On 12 February 2018 at 23:43, kr402 via Groups.Io <kr402@...> wrote:

On Feb 12, 2018, at 2:01 PM, Ian Gillis <tessel.bas@...> wrote:

About the only criticism of my transferred former Yahoo group of retired Marconi (UK) engineers was the date format. Absolutely no-one likes mm-dd-yyyy, everyone would be happy with the European dd-mm-yyyy but a fair few would be prepared to accept the ISO 8601 yyyy-mm-dd. I understand that to a US developer mm-dd-yyyy is familiar and doesn't yell "Change Me!" - but to a retired UK engineer it's very irritating and a potential source of schedule errors…

hmmm, what do you propose different for each region?
EG: Ygroups has U.K. groups.
Is the date there
European dd-mm-yyyy ?

--
______________________________________
 Ian Gillis C Eng MIET

Jean Bennett

If the date format cannot be set as a local preference, then our US-based group prefers it stay just as it is now rather than confuse our members (who have been with Groups.io for over two years).

Jean

#OrlandoStrong

Sharon Villines

On Feb 13, 2018, at 5:21 AM, Ian Gillis <@Ian> wrote:
In messages the English groups use the format from the RFC headers, viz. 24 January 2018
I find this clearest — with the month spelled out. I started using this when my email groups and clients became international. It’s the clearest for everyone even if it is not conventional locally. My copy editor for my last book even allowed this format in the bibliography.

then yyyy/mm/dd is IMHO the most logical choice.
I use this on files when I want them to sort chronologically. Otherwise, I find people are confused by it. And the further we go into the 2000’s the more people will want to use only 2 numbers for the year. I’m already getting questions about this.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
TakomaTime, a neighborhood timebank
takomatime.timebanks.org

Sue

Hi,

I would also like to add my voice to those wishing to have the dates shown in something other than standard American. With Groups io becoming more international by the day, the international format would seem a good idea if a single format is easiest to code. I’m not too bothered about having it everywhere but I would like the date format in the database so my date column recognises the numbers I enter there as a date and so can be searchable.

Sue

Jean Bennett

I feel just as strongly that it should remain as is if it cannot be set optionally at the group or individual level. We do not believe our members should be subjected to confusion to accommodate newcomers.

Jean

#OrlandoStrong