Topics

locked Editing To: Cc: in moderation queue

Would it be possible to allow moderators to edit the To: and Cc: fields in
pending messages int he moderation queue?

I don't allow messages to be sent to our group with personal addresses
other than the author in the To: or Cc: fields. Some of the addressees are
not on our list, and the addresses themselves are fodder for malware that
sends to all addresses in the inbox or addressbook.

Evil Empire used to allow this; under Neo, no.

--
Jim
Poston@vch-nv.us

<< Good, better, best, never let it rest, 'till your good is better, and your
better's best. >>

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 8:58 AM, Jim Poston <groups.io@poston.ml1.net> wrote:
Would it be possible to allow moderators to edit the To: and Cc: fields in
pending messages int he moderation queue?
We already re-write the To line to be just groupname@groups.io. And
for some instances where someone sends a message from a DMARC p=reject
domain, we re-write the CC line as well. Perhaps I should just delete
any CC line?

Mark,

We already re-write the To line to be just groupname@groups.io.
Interesting. Ordinarily if I put other addressees in the To: or CC: fields, rather than BCC:, it is because I want all the addressees to know about each other. And in particular I want the addressees to be able to use the "Reply-All" function of their email service to reply to everyone who received my message.

Jim Poston wrote:
Would it be possible to allow moderators to edit the To: and Cc:
fields in pending messages int he moderation queue?
I suppose it is not uncommon for members to forget that a group might prefer not to have non-member addresses, or addresses for other lists, shown anywhere or distributed to the members.

So I can see where it might be preferred to let the moderator delete elements of a mailbox-list in the To: or CC: fields. Or have Groups.io always remove them.

And for some instances where someone sends a message from a DMARC
p=reject domain, we re-write the CC line as well.
What purpose would that serve? I assume that on the outbound side of Groups.io all of the content of the To: and CC: fields is effectively commentary that won't be acted on.

Unless the receiving member uses a Reply-All function. But then what purpose is served by having Groups.io modify any part of the CC?

Perhaps I should just delete any CC line?
I'd say that if you continue to re-write the To: to contain only groupname@groups.io, then you should delete any CC line. Conversely, if you give the mods a way to trim them instead then do so for both fields. And I'll refrain from asking that the choice be yet another group Setting.

-- Shal

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 12:58 AM, Shal Farley <shal@roadrunner.com> wrote:

And for some instances where someone sends a message from a DMARC
p=reject domain, we re-write the CC line as well.
What purpose would that serve? I assume that on the outbound side of Groups.io all of the content of the To: and CC: fields is effectively commentary that won't be acted on.
When we have to re-write the From line because of DMARC, and the
group's reply-to is set to reply to sender, we set the reply-to to be
the sender and we add a CC line for the group. So if someone wants to
do a reply-to-all, it'll capture the group's address.

Mark

[Like]

Or, more accurately [Ok, that makes sense]