locked Non-members posting to list

Trish McDonald

Yes there is! I just had to set up something like this for one of my groups and Mark pointed me to the Integrations > Email Integration feature. Works great! I really like it.

Trish

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 4:19 PM, Jim Poston <poston@...> wrote:
Is it possible to allow non-members to post to a list?  Owner selectable, of course.

I run various support lists where an outside person might have a need to occasionally send an event notice or something to the list, but doesn't want to join the list just to do that.

The Evil Empire has the option "Non Members can post messages".  Would it possible to have that in email Nerdvana too?

It's kind of similar to Facebook integration, in that outside messages are incorporated into the group, but this is just outside emails.

--
Jim

<<         Ecky Ecky Ecky pTANG Bing whing prrn zhrrn-wup (Ni!)           >>

On 3 Mar 2015 at 17:22, Trish M wrote:

Yes there is! I just had to set up something like this for one of my groups and Mark pointed me to
the Integrations > Email Integration feature. Works great! I really like it.
Oh yeah!

I looked through all the options when I first set up, and noted some things
I wanted to try later but I forgot about that one!

Thanks!

--
Jim
Poston@vch-nv.us

<< 2400 city/53333 highway. >>

On 3 Mar 2015 at 17:22, Trish M wrote:

Mark pointed me to the Integrations > Email Integration feature. Works
great! I really like it.
What's the form of the email address?

groupname+something@groups.io ?

--
Jim
Poston@vch-nv.us

<< The world is coming to an end. Please logoff. >>

People send to:

When it comes through to the group, it looks like this:

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 6:47 PM, Jim Poston <groups.io@...> wrote:
On 3 Mar 2015 at 17:22, Trish M wrote:

> Mark pointed me to the Integrations > Email Integration feature. Works
> great! I really like it.

What's the form of the email address?

groupname+something@groups.io ?

--
Jim
Poston@...

<<              The world is coming to an end.  Please logoff.               >>

Linda

Hi Jim,
A unique identifier will be generated for each non-member, specific to your group.  That way you can delete their access if it doesn't work out.

Linda

On 3 Mar 2015 at 15:47, Jim Poston wrote:

What's the form of the email address?

groupname+something@groups.io ?
I just barged ahead and the answer become apparent. ;-)

The blank is for the "name" of the email address, not the email address
itself. e.g. Notices

Then the system generates a unique email address.

Cool.

--
Jim
Poston@vch-nv.us

<< Do Not Remove This Tag (Under Penalty of Law) >>

Mark, On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 03:51 pm, Trish wrote: > > People send to: > <groupname+int+26+2976997378244722726@groups.io> Does it have to be so unfriendly? I wanted to put a contact email address on the PTA's page in the registration packet to be sent out to incoming students this August. But I can't expect people to type in that monstrosity.

And absent a generic non-member posting feature I can't use the vastly simpler MHS-PTSA@groups.io address. I suppose I could use MHS-PTSA+owner@groups.io, that's not so bad but it is still ugly and potentially confusing ("owner"? what's that?)..

Could the integration address be formed from the name I give it? Then I could have something like MHS-PTSA+int+info@groups.io which wouldn't be so bad (it is more about legibility/type-ability than about length per se).

Note that I do not intend to let any such messages post to the group, I just want a group-related address for people to use if they have questions about the registration form. I only have a few days to provide the school with final copy (why so early? because the administration gets busier as graduation approaches) so perhaps I'll just use my personal gmail address.

-- Shal

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 10:13 PM, Shal Farley <shal@roadrunner.com> wrote:
Mark, On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 03:51 pm, Trish wrote: > > People send to: >
<groupname+int+26+2976997378244722726@groups.io> Does it have to be so
unfriendly?
Yeah, perhaps not one of my better design decisions.

I can convert things to groupname+int+name@groups.io, while keeping
the current functionality. Hmm, some existing email integrations have
names with spaces in them, which won't work with this.

Note that I do not intend to let any such messages post to the group, I just
want a group-related address for people to use if they have questions about
the registration form. I only have a few days to provide the school with
final copy (why so early? because the administration gets busier as
graduation approaches) so perhaps I'll just use my personal gmail address.
I'm wondering if there's a better way to solve this. Maybe a
+questions alias that behaves the same as +owner?

Mark

Mark,

I can convert things to groupname+int+name@groups.io, while keeping
the current functionality. Hmm, some existing email integrations have
names with spaces in them, which won't work with this.
It's always something.

Of course the obvious ad hoc solutions would be to remove the spaces or convert them to + signs. There may be other characters you need to watch out for also, @ comes to mind. I'm not sure what else the Name field of an email integration is used for, that may influence whether it makes sense to put email-compatible restrictions on the names.

I'm wondering if there's a better way to solve this. Maybe a
+questions alias that behaves the same as +owner?
That would work for my use case, and probably others' as well. Naive users might be more likely to understand and use a +questions address.

The only downside I see is that having one more open address likely means receiving one more copy of each spam message that is sent to every address in the universe. Not that I've had much spam come via any of my groups' owner addresses (and yes, I opt to receive from anyone, not restricted to members), but I have heard others complain of it.

-- Shal