Topics

moderated Yahoo Group transfer update

Hi All,

Here's the status of the various queues involved in the Yahoo Group transfer process:

- We've accepted all invites up through yesterday at 3pm Pacific time. Yahoo is being really slow right now, and processing invites is currently very time intensive.
- We are exporting Yahoo Groups that were given the go ahead as of 2pm Pacific time today (aka a bit more than 2 hours ago).
- We are importing Yahoo Groups that had completed export as of Oct 22 at 4pm Pacific time.

The bottleneck is importing groups. I am looking at ways to try and make that go faster, but I don't have anything yet.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for how I can make this more understandable.

Laurence Marks

Mark Fletcher wrote:
i All,

Here's the status of the various queues involved in the Yahoo Group transfer process:

- We've accepted all invites up through yesterday at 3pm Pacific time. Yahoo is being really slow right now, and processing invites is currently very time intensive.
- We are exporting Yahoo Groups that were given the go ahead as of 2pm Pacific time today (aka a bit more than 2 hours ago).
- We are importing Yahoo Groups that had completed export as of Oct 22 at 4pm Pacific time.

The bottleneck is importing groups. I am looking at ways to try and make that go faster, but I don't have anything yet.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for how I can make this more understandable.

Mark,

Would it be faster to import groups that have already been downloaded with PG Offline? We have all messages, files, and attachments. There are around 1000 messages. 240 of the messages have around 400 attachments. We would even be willing to wait until the queue is empty, since we can continue to use PGO until Dec. 18 and it's becoming a slow season for us. We would be especially willing to wait if--once the pressure is off--you could make a temporary accomodation to allowing us to manually restore the attachments.

Larry

--
Larry Marks

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 6:27 PM Laurence Marks <marks@...> wrote:

Would it be faster to import groups that have already been downloaded with PG Offline? We have all messages, files, and attachments. There are around 1000 messages. 240 of the messages have around 400 attachments. We would even be willing to wait until the queue is empty, since we can continue to use PGO until Dec. 18 and it's becoming a slow season for us. We would be especially willing to wait if--once the pressure is off--you could make a temporary accomodation to allowing us to manually restore the attachments.

No, it would not be faster. The export is the easiest/fastest part; I can spin up 20-40 group exports at a time. It's the importing that's the bottleneck, and that's because I can't write to our database fast enough.

Another issue is that I'd have to reverse engineer the PG Offline file format. IIRC, they don't store things in text files, but in an embedded database. I don't know what that is, or what schema they're using. It'd take considerable development effort.

Finally, I certainly wouldn't trust Yahoo to keep Groups working until then. Right now for example it's having problems processing invites, which is slowing me down a lot.

Drew

In the PGO forum I read that the author of PG Offline is intending to add functionality to transfer the PGO downloaded Yahoo content into Groups.io.

Drew

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 10:41 PM Drew <pubx1@...> wrote:
In the PGO forum I read that the author of PG Offline is intending to
add functionality to transfer the PGO downloaded Yahoo content into
Groups.io.

News to me. I wonder how they'll do that.

Mark

txercoupemuseum.org

Hi Mark,

I’m thinking I’m ready for Step 4 but I’m REALLY confused.  I believe I’ve clicked the “green Give Go Ahead to transfer button”…at least when I manage to find it and click it again I get a response that a transfer is already underway for my .io group.  As I recall there was something about this possibly taking several days.

So I BELIEVE (but don’t know how to confirm) ercoupe-tech is in the Yahoo Groups " given the go ahead as of 2pm Pacific time today”.

In addition, one of my people is saying they can’t find Ercoupe Tech in the .io Groups.  I have no trouble finding it in the “search” box, but when I go to the “Publicly Listed Groups (starting with E) it should show between “Equinenittrates…” and “ErnieEckbergFlooring” )right?) and it doesn’t.  ???  Is this something that will correct itself when our download is complete, or ???

SINCE giving the “Go Ahead” (?) I’ve been updating the notification notices, group description, etc.  Because the process apparently “locks out” the list owner in this phase I can’t confirm whether or not the message I have laboriously personalized will eventually go out to each Yahoo member that has been downloaded to the new io. Group.  Presuming I did check this box, will the welcoming message be the one existing when I initiated the “Go ahead” or will it be the one as I have since modified it?

Thanks for all that you (and your people?) are doing in trying to timely respond to so many in process at once.

Best!

WRB

—

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 6:16 AM txercoupemuseum.org <ercoguru@...> wrote:

I’m thinking I’m ready for Step 4 but I’m REALLY confused.  I believe I’ve clicked the “green Give Go Ahead to transfer button”…at least when I manage to find it and click it again I get a response that a transfer is already underway for my .io group.  As I recall there was something about this possibly taking several days.

I checked and you had not given the go ahead. I've gone ahead and done that for you.

We don't modify the group description or name at all, so if it isn't showing up in the right place, that's a bug. Please submit it to support@groups.io.

SINCE giving the “Go Ahead” (?) I’ve been updating the notification notices, group description, etc.  Because the process apparently “locks out” the list owner in this phase I can’t confirm whether or not the message I have laboriously personalized will eventually go out to each Yahoo member that has been downloaded to the new io. Group.  Presuming I did check this box, will the welcoming message be the one existing when I initiated the “Go ahead” or will it be the one as I have since modified it?

There is no lock out. You can change your messages at any time. We use whatever welcome message exists when the actual transfer happens.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to preserve member ownership of transferred content without your cooperation, in which case you'd be aware of it.

JohnF

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 08:13 AM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 10:41 PM Drew <@af2z> wrote:
In the PGO forum I read that the author of PG Offline is intending to
add functionality to transfer the PGO downloaded Yahoo content into
Groups.io.
News to me. I wonder how they'll do that.

Drew

It was a little unclear to me whether he was referring to the message base only or file and photos also. The thread topic was "Downloading for future reinjection into io or other".

Drew