Topics

moderated Suggestion for Importing Groups

Janis

Mark,

I am not a tech person, but it seems this might be a good idea to move groups faster and in a way that is more fair. Small groups are having to wait too long because of monster groups taking so.long to import.

My suggestion is to separate the queues into 3 categories small groups, medium groups (over 500 members) and large monster groups. Separate machines and staff can be dedicated to each.category.

If possible have some of your machines dedicated  to importing just the small groups. They will moved faster and will soon be off the bucket list because of their smaller size. Then you can concentrate those freed up machines on moving the medium sized groups.

This should speed up the process. At least it would be more fair! Waiting on.monster groups to be imported is not fair because of the  extra time they are monopolizing for imports.

Those who  have a monster group, you may not like this, but it will also move them forward in their queue. And get them closer to the finish.line.

Small active groups that are normally very active every day are hurting because we are stymied and cannot function until the transfer is complete. It matters more with smaller groups. Our membership is of a different make up, more hands on and group oriented.. The nature of the groups necessitates staying actively involved.

Thanks for considering the idea. I do not know if you can do this, but I had to ask.😄

Janis

Duane

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 02:52 PM, Janis wrote:
My suggestion is to separate the queues into 3 categories small groups, medium groups (over 500 members) and large monster groups.
While I'm sure everyone is anxious to get their group transferred, I think Mark has found the most equitable procedure - first in, first out.  As I understand it, only a limited number of processes can be done at one time to limit the loading on the system.  It doesn't make any difference if it's a large group or a small group, it's still a process.  For those that feel they can't wait, he's included the option of paying an expedite fee to "jump the line".  I admit that I don't know what would happen if everyone suddenly decided to expedite. ;>)

Duane

Juulz

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 03:15 AM, Duane wrote:
don't know what would happen if everyone suddenly decided to expedite.
Expedited groups go to the head of the line!  I watched out group go from 8 to 9 to 8 to 7 to 8 to 9 to 8.... you get the picture. We are finally imported and everything is in place and working wonderfully! I really wanted to ask Mark for a "point of no return" to lower the anxiety level... but, I didn't... it wouldn't really matter whether you wait at position 11 or at 1, if someone pays to expedite, they cut in line ahead of you. We waited at position #1 for hours, btw. Once our import started, it took about 5-10 minutes for 900 members and 18,000 messages.

My suggestion is to move your members over yourself and allow the group to carry on without the archives while they wait for the import.

I think Mark has it right. If small groups "jumped the line" for free, it would be terribly unfair to the others, IMO.  It's no fun to wait, but you can always expedite if it's driving you crazy!

Janis

The suggestion was NOT to jump ahead of members who expedite. You misread and misunderstood!

And it is not driving anyone crazy to wait. It is unfair to have to wait for monster groups. Monster groups are large groups, not expedited groups.

Additionally, this was addressed to Mark.

Janis

My group is moving forward in the queue not back so apparently there are not a lot of expedited vroups lately. The monster groups are the problem.

Janis

The experts in the forums advise against moving members separately and my active members are against that idea as I am because we want members to maintain their ownership of their data that is transferred. We consider it important that identity of owners of files and photos is transferred with the members.   Also, the group has already been exported and will have an account.automatically created for them at groups.io. They like that.

We still have our old group intact at Yahoo and able to email the group at Yahoo as always. And Yahoo is still archiving our messages on the message board. We cannot upload photos and files until we are imported.

I have new members that are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the group so that they can participate. We are on hold on Groups.io until transfer is complete.

The. Issue addressed by my suggestions was to speed up the process for everyone.  It is the monster groups that overload the servers. The issue is whether what I suggested CAN be done. Duane addressed that with his comment. The issue to consider is overloading the servers. Including smaller groups in the bulk imports should help solve that problem.

Duane

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 09:15 AM, Janis wrote:
The issue to consider is overloading the servers. Including smaller groups in the bulk imports should help solve that problem.
I don't think it would change anything, other than creating additional lines.  As each message is imported, a certain amount of processing has to be done.  Whether it's from a small group or a large group makes no difference.

Duane