locked Downtime this morning

Hopefully you didn't notice, but the service was down from about 8:20am until a little after 9am. The main web server rebooted a couple of times and there were hanging connections to the database. I'm investigating what happened now, and I apologize if I don't get to beta & support email until this afternoon.

Naturally, that's the time I chose to check on something! ;>) I knew it would be back soon, so didn't worry about it.

Duane

Here's a followup to this morning's downtime: It was caused by a message with a large attachment going to a group with a lot of members. More specifically, it was caused by some really inefficient code for attachment encoding. This overwhelmed the web server and the machine rebooted. Rebooting that way caused a lot of hanging connections to the database which did not clear on their own. Which meant the database had no available connections when the web server came back up. This repeated a few times.

I've re-written the offending code, which is now orders of magnitude faster. I'm also looking at some other optimizations. I still don't know why the database connections didn't clear themselves.

Anyways, things are back to normal.

I appreciate you letting us know what's going on. I know it's a bit technical for some folks, but I'm a glutton for punishment. I enjoy reading all the gory details. They sometimes give me ideas on what to look for if something strange happens, here or on my own computer.

Judy F.

Hey Duane, follow my example and read all that stuff and then you can explain it to someone else and they will think you are sooooooo smart. LOL

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA