Topics

locked #suggestion

Frances

Edited

It would be nice if owners could delete invitations that have been accepted or no longer needed. At this point, I have a bunch of invitations where the invitee joined the group and one where the member opted to use a different primary email address - I sent a second invitation to accomplish this. Of course, most would now appear in the members list after they accepted.

Frances

Linda

Hi Frances,
You can "rescind" the invitation to remove it from the list.  It won't affect the membership of folks who have joined.
Linda

Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 1:52 PM
Subject: [beta] #suggestions #invitations

[Edited Message Follows]

It would be nice if owners could delete invitations that have been accepted or no longer needed. At this point, I have a bunch of invitations where the invitee joined the group and one where the member opted to use a different primary email address - I sent a second invitation to accomplish this. Of course, most would now appear in the members list after they accepted.

Frances

Frances

Aw, I didn’t try that because Rescind sounds bad!

Frances

On Feb 26 15, at 1:57 PM, Linda Star-Freedman <donlin2@...> wrote:

Hi Frances,
You can "rescind" the invitation to remove it from the list.  It won't affect the membership of folks who have joined.
Linda

[Edited Message Follows]
Frances

Linda

Agreed.  Delete from List would sound better. 
Linda

Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 1:59 PM
Subject: Re: [beta] #suggestions #invitations

Frances

Hi Frances,
Linda

[Edited Message Follows]
Frances

Frances

Hi

I tested this and it works fine. Guess it is just the label!

Frances

On Feb 26 15, at 2:01 PM, Linda Star-Freedman <donlin2@...> wrote:

Linda

Delete from list might confuse people.
Cancel invitation?

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 2:01 PM, Linda Star-Freedman <donlin2@...> wrote:
Linda

Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 1:59 PM

Frances

Hi Frances,
Linda

[Edited Message Follows]
Frances

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 2:19 PM, pnrfan@... <pnrfan@...> wrote:
Cancel invitation?

If someone had accepted the invitation already, would it be confusing, in that would 'Cancel Invitation' imply that the already subscribed person be unsubscribed?

In a perfect world, accepted invites would automatically be deleted after a period of time. It's on the todo list. I'm happy to change Rescind to something else (Rescind always looks misspelled to me...)

Thanks,
Mark 

Linda

Hi Mark,
Cancel and Rescind are similarly confusing, which is why I suggested Delete from List.  What about Remove?

Linda

Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 5:35 PM

Cancel invitation?

If someone had accepted the invitation already, would it be confusing, in that would 'Cancel Invitation' imply that the already subscribed person be unsubscribed?

In a perfect world, accepted invites would automatically be deleted after a period of time. It's on the todo list. I'm happy to change Rescind to something else (Rescind always looks misspelled to me...)

Thanks,
Mark 

Linda

Better idea!  Delete Entry.
Linda

Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 5:47 PM

Hi Mark,
Cancel and Rescind are similarly confusing, which is why I suggested Delete from List.  What about Remove?

Linda

Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 5:35 PM

Cancel invitation?

Thanks,
Mark 

Mark,

If someone had accepted the invitation already, would it be
confusing, in that would 'Cancel Invitation' imply that the already
subscribed person be unsubscribed?
I agree with pnrfan; I think Remove Invitation, Cancel Invitation, or Rescind Invitation would be least likely to imply unsubscribing the member.

"Delete From List" seems problematic to me because so many people use "the list" to refer primarily to the list of members, or as a synonym for "the group". So even though one is looking right at the list in question, I think the association with Members list is too strong.

-- Shal

Duane

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 02:35 pm, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

In a perfect world, accepted invites would automatically be deleted after a
period of time. It's on the todo list. I'm happy to change Rescind to
something else (Rescind always looks misspelled to me...)

Thanks,
Mark
To me, an invitation should be deleted as soon as it's accepted. Would that be easier than waiting a specified period of time? Would that work for everyone?

Duane

Frances

Hi

I like Cancel Invitation or Remove Invitation. It really is only housekeeping - getting the name off a specific page, so that we can see which ones have not joined yet.

According to Google, rescind means revoke, cancel, or repeal (a law, order, or agreement).

I agree that Delete from list is problematic since list is not defined there.

Frances

On Feb 26 15, at 6:31 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

Mark,

If someone had accepted the invitation already, would it be
confusing, in that would 'Cancel Invitation' imply that the already
subscribed person be unsubscribed?
I agree with pnrfan; I think Remove Invitation, Cancel Invitation, or Rescind Invitation would be least likely to imply unsubscribing the member.

"Delete From List" seems problematic to me because so many people use "the list" to refer primarily to the list of members, or as a synonym for "the group". So even though one is looking right at the list in question, I think the association with Members list is too strong.

-- Shal

Linda

Certainly would work for me, Duane, if Mark can do it!
Linda

--------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 6:52 PM
To: <beta@groups.io>
Subject: [beta] Re: #suggestions #invitations

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 02:35 pm, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

In a perfect world, accepted invites would automatically be deleted after a
period of time. It's on the todo list. I'm happy to change Rescind to
something else (Rescind always looks misspelled to me...)

Thanks,
Mark
To me, an invitation should be deleted as soon as it's accepted. Would that be easier than waiting a specified period of time? Would that work for everyone?

Duane

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Linda Star-Freedman <donlin2@...> wrote:

Deleting the invite at the point it's accepted is easy to do. The reason I didn't do that before is that I wanted to leave a 'paper trail'. But maybe I go ahead and delete it then. Then, the only invites that could be deleted would be outstanding ones, so maybe that action is called Cancel Invite?

Mark 

Linda

Perfect, thanks Mark!
Linda

Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: [beta] Re: #suggestions #invitations

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Linda Star-Freedman <donlin2@...> wrote:

Deleting the invite at the point it's accepted is easy to do. The reason I didn't do that before is that I wanted to leave a 'paper trail'. But maybe I go ahead and delete it then. Then, the only invites that could be deleted would be outstanding ones, so maybe that action is called Cancel Invite?

Mark

Mark,

Deleting the invite at the point it's accepted is easy to do. The
reason I didn't do that before is that I wanted to leave a 'paper
trail'.
I agree with that reason.

In particular it would be confusing (to me as a moderator) if a particularly prompt member accepted the invitation and it disappeared before I'd noticed it appear in the list. Even ignoring that case, I prefer having this nice list of invitations at hand rather than have to dredge them out of the Activity log.

Why do people want to remove accepted Invitations from this list? The list can be sorted by Status or invitation date, isn't that sufficiently tidy?

But maybe I go ahead and delete it then. Then, the only invites that
could be deleted would be outstanding ones, so maybe that action is
called Cancel Invite?
Or, if you don't, the action could be "Cancel/Remove Invitation" to cover both cases.

-- Shal

How about "Remove Pending Invitation"?  Yes, I know that's long, but the "Pending" part gets rid of the doubt that it affects a member who has already joined.

JohnF

On 2/26/2015 2:19 PM, @trishm wrote:
Cancel invitation?
All seem to intimate that the invited is no longer
welcome.

Does anyone want to know who has been added and who
was truly "rescinded"?

If so, is there a way to automate accepted invitations?

Or 2 "delete" options - accepted/rejected?

dg

Frances,

It really is only housekeeping - getting the name off a specific page,
so that we can see which ones have not joined yet.
You don't need to waste time pruning the list for that, just click on the word "Status" to sort the "Sent" invites to the top (or click twice if the first time is the wrong-way up).

-- Shal

dg,

Cancel invitation?
All seem to intimate that the invited is no longer welcome.
Well, that would apparently be true if a moderator rescinds an invitation whose status is still "Sent". If the invitee has already "Accepted", and is no longer welcome, the moderator must remove him/her from the Members list.

Does anyone want to know who has been added and who
was truly "rescinded"?
I like having both the Sent (not yet accepted) and Accepted invitations listed there. Come to think of it, I would even support the idea of having rescinded invitations stay in the list, with that status, so I'd have a record of who I changed my mind about.

-- Shal