Topics

moderated Canned (or I suspect canned) "Message Not Approved" Message

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

I just received one of these (which, BTW, I expected to) which is shown below:

Hello,

A message you sent to the group blindtech@groups.io was not approved by the moderators.

The message is attached.

Cheers,
The Groups.io Team

Am I the only one who thinks that the complementary closing of, "Cheers," is really grossly inappropriate here?  "Thank You," "Sincerely," "Regards," or just plain nothing would be far more appropriate than "Cheers," which comes across as awfully snarky, in my opinion.

--
Brian

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year-old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.   ~  John Rogers

You're not the only one. ;-)

I just changed Cheers to Sincerely.

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 9:17 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
You're not the only one. ;-)

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

Thanks.

Just FYI this thread got duplicated because when I tried to post, twice, I got a 504 message.  When I went back to the messages list it was there, twice, and I deleted one of them.   I have never gotten a 504 before and certainly wouldn't have expected the message to have posted when I got one.
--
Brian

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year-old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.   ~  John Rogers

Anita L

I liked cheers. Sincerely sounds very formal. Never bothered me what you sign as.

Anita

Date: 12/11/2016 1:41:58 PM

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 9:43 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Thanks.

Just FYI this thread got duplicated because when I tried to post, twice, I got a 504 message.  When I went back to the messages list it was there, twice, and I deleted one of them.   I have never gotten a 504 before and certainly wouldn't have expected the message to have posted when I got one.

When you posted the first time, one of the search nodes went down, causing a delay in posting, which caused the web server to time out and give you a 504.

One of my main objectives for December is to reduce our dependence on and perhaps eliminate the existing search system (elasticsearch), because it's been so unreliable.

Ro

Miss Manners on Closing Salutations (and I consider her the ultimate etiquette authority)

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2014/02/08/conventional-salutations-closings-truly-work-best.html

Your most sincerely humble savant

Ro

with Silk gazing over the fence and presenting her rear as an appropriate closing salutation to mom and Sally, Handy, Feliz &  Police Kitty patrolling in the Great Beyond and not gonna salutate no one.

Date: 12/11/2016 4:48:25 PM

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 01:01 pm, atinalee@... wrote:

It does not matter to me how one signs a letter.

There, fixed that for you.  It matters a great deal to a lot of people.

It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others.

         ~ John Andrew Holmes

--
Brian

Ro

Its good to maintain a sense of humor in these groups, as well as avoiding absolutes

Ro

with Silk gazing over the fence, and Sally, Handy, Feliz &  Police Kitty patrolling in the Great Beyond.

This is not a English class. It is a list about iogroups. If you want to correct things go to a English class.

Anita

It does not matter to me how one signs a letter.

There, fixed that for you.  It matters a great deal to a lot of people.

It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others.

         ~ John Andrew Holmes

--
Brian

Lol Ro, I think what you may mean is that perhaps there is some advantage, in some contexts, of minimizing the use of what some people may, or may not, have called absolutes.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 02:49 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
perhaps there is some advantage, in some contexts, of minimizing the use of what some people may, or may not, have called absolutes.

 That's the most "embroidered" of qualified statements I believe I've ever seen.  Brava!
--
Brian

I have made mistakes, but have never made the mistake of claiming I never made one.   ~  James G. Bennet

Lol Brian 'believe I've ever seen'
Back at you! 😜

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 11, 2016, at 2:55 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 02:49 pm, J_Catlady wrote:
perhaps there is some advantage, in some contexts, of minimizing the use of what some people may, or may not, have called absolutes.

 That's the most "embroidered" of qualified statements I believe I've ever seen.  Brava!
--
Brian

I have made mistakes, but have never made the mistake of claiming I never made one.   ~  James G. Bennet

Ro,

Your most sincerely humble savant
LOL. I almost missed that one.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/Group_Help
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

Ro

I absolutely meant what i said missy!

Chirps,

Ro the irascible

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy® Note 4.