Topics

moderated Transfer invites

Hi All,

If you have started a Yahoo Group transfer, and the status is the message that starts "Make sure you have sent an invite to your group", that means that we have not received your invite yet and that you should send another one. That message will change automatically when we receive the invite and is not subject to the delays in other parts of the process are seeing.

Technotronic Dimensions

I did invite the "transfer@" address to join as a member of the YAHOO group, but as of 2 days later that user does not seem to be there.

Also wanted to know, is it possible to merge another group, (into the same group.io)  once one was already merged? Or is it possible to merge
one into a sub group? The sub group possibility seems interesting to me because the 2nd yahoo group I want to merge is more or less an "archive"
type now, because theres no activity to it much anymore for years, but the email posts can be a useful resource to have access to.

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 5:54 AM Technotronic Dimensions <steve@...> wrote:
I did invite the "transfer@" address to join as a member of the YAHOO group, but as of 2 days later that user does not seem to be there.

Like I said, check your transfer status and if it hasn't changed you need to send another invite.

Also wanted to know, is it possible to merge another group, (into the same group.io)  once one was already merged? Or is it possible to merge
one into a sub group? The sub group possibility seems interesting to me because the 2nd yahoo group I want to merge is more or less an "archive"
type now, because theres no activity to it much anymore for years, but the email posts can be a useful resource to have access to.
_
Yes, you can import Yahoo Groups into existing Groups.io groups or subgroups.

Mark

Janis

It was named groups.io in my Yahoo groups, not transfer.

Janis

Look for groups.io in your membership list at Yahoo.

Technotronic Dimensions

Nothing there under groups.io , guess I will try to resend it.

Andy

Mark,

We have sent at least three Invites to "transfer@groups.io" to join our group, over the last 10 days, with no results.  There has been no new member in the group with that address, so we can't promote it to Moderator.  We are stuck.

We thought you were just delaying us because ours is a larger group.  But now I suspect there is something gone wrong between Yahoo and Groups.io, because you're saying it should have happened by now.

What could be wrong?

How many Invites do you recommend we send Invites?  Do we need to resort to something like hourly, to catch that "sweet spot" when both Yahoo and Groups.io are participating with one another?  Is there any harm in sending that many invites -- will Groups.io treat it as spam if we do?

Thanks,
Andy

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 2:10 PM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

We have sent at least three Invites to "transfer@groups.io" to join our group, over the last 10 days, with no results.  There has been no new member in the group with that address, so we can't promote it to Moderator.  We are stuck.

Please send me the name of the Groups.io group and the name of the Yahoo group off-list and I'll look into it.

Steve Bass

Mark, I hope you can help. I'm in a similar sutuation.

I started with $20 premium monthly and saw the charge on my CC.

When I realized I needed a Premium Yearly, I upgraded the account. Settings * Admin * Billing shows the account status as Yearly Premium, but my credit card wasn't charged.

As a result, the transfer process is stuck.

YG has transfer@groups.io as a moderator, but Easy Setup says, "We have accepted the invite to your group. If you have not already, make transfer@groups.io a moderator of your group. Once you have done that, tell us when you are ready to transfer your group."

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 10:58 AM Steve Bass <stevebass@...> wrote:
Mark, I hope you can help. I'm in a similar sutuation.

I started with $20 premium monthly and saw the charge on my CC.

When I realized I needed a Premium Yearly, I upgraded the account. Settings * Admin * Billing shows the account status as Yearly Premium, but my credit card wasn't charged.

It will be charged after your month that you already paid for has elapsed (so Nov 27th it looks like for your group).

As a result, the transfer process is stuck.

Once you switch to annual, you can go ahead with the transfer process even if your credit card hasn't been charged yet.

I checked your group and it doesn't have a transfer request. You should be able to create a transfer request and get the process started.

Cheers,
Mark

txercoupemuseum.org

Hello Mark,

A subject I haven’t seen addressed (I’ve only been on board a few days):  I’m in the process of Step 4 and will soon be ready to click the green Give Go Ahead button.

That said, I’ve already had two members of my Yahoo Group find and join the new groups.io group.  Is there some mechanism in the transfer process to NOT transfer member information of those who have already joined the new groups.io Group directly?  I can imagine a lot of duplicates would cause a big muddle to be sorted out.

Best,

WRB

—

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 2:32 PM txercoupemuseum.org <ercoguru@...> wrote:

A subject I haven’t seen addressed (I’ve only been on board a few days):  I’m in the process of Step 4 and will soon be ready to click the green Give Go Ahead button.

That said, I’ve already had two members of my Yahoo Group find and join the new groups.io group.  Is there some mechanism in the transfer process to NOT transfer member information of those who have already joined the new groups.io Group directly?  I can imagine a lot of duplicates would cause a big muddle to be sorted out.

If someone is already a member, then we do nothing. We don't copy over that person's name, if it's different. We don't create a new account for them.

Mark

Mark Fletcher noted:
If someone is already a member, then we do nothing. We
don't copy over that person's name, if it's different. We
don't create a new account for them.
Mark -
In those situations where a member had already joined the group, does it still result in that member losing control of their content? As I recall, and please correct me if I'm wrong, if the transfer process didn't transfer the member, that broke the ownership link between the member and the content they had posted.
Dano

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 02:52 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
If someone is already a member, then we do nothing.
Yep. Mark, just FYI, there are some yahoo group owners who don't understand this, and who are sending out special notices in their old yahoo groups screaming at members in all caps not to join the new groups.io group or it will screw everything up. Some are also telling people, repeatedly, in special notice after special notice, that if they do not want to belong to the groups.io group they "MUST UNSUBSCRIBE NOW" before the transfer. But of course, Yahoo's unsubscribe feature has been broken for years in many groups, not to mention that it's extremely easy for members to demur after the transfer (and as I recall, perhaps even during it).

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 6:05 PM D R Stinson <dano@...> wrote:

In those situations where a member had already joined the group, does it still result in that member losing control of their content? As I recall, and please correct me if I'm wrong, if the transfer process didn't transfer the member, that broke the ownership link between the member and the content they had posted.

I think you're wrong. I mean, you should be wrong. :-) If the ownership doesn't transfer over, that'd be a bug.