Topics

moderated Printing Databases

Tami D <artfulmuze@...>

Good morning,
 We're moving our Yahoo group over to IO this week. We've been testing a group for about a month now and I believe it will solve a lot of problems we've been having over at Yahoo.

We're an art trading group so we use our databases and photos more then anything.
One thing we've found is that we can't print the database as it shows up on screen unless we copy and paste it into a Word document. Some people are not happy with that. They like the one click, print button ability.
Exporting the database, doesn’t keep things in nice, neat columns so that isn’t an option.

We'd like to see the ability to print the databases as they appear online in the future.

Thanks so much for such a great group site. :-)

Tami Davis

Duane

I use the Export Table button to get a csv file, save to my pc with csv extension, then open it with Open Office Calc (spreadsheet - free) to print. This works best for me so I can get everything at once on a large database. I can also rearrange the column sorting before printing. There have been a few glitches when using special characters, like ¢. You should be able to use Excel, if you have it, the same way.

Duane

Tami D <artfulmuze@...>

There are some people elderly in our group who aren’t good with computers at all and wouldn’t understand what you just said.
A "Print table" button is what they're used to and anything more difficult then that is hard for them.
I just copied and pasted into Word to print but even that is hard for some.
:-)

Tami Davis
artfulmuze@...

I use the Export Table button to get a csv file, save to my pc with csv extension, then open it with Open Office Calc (spreadsheet - free) to print. This works best for me so I can get everything at once on a large database. I can also rearrange the column sorting before printing.

Charles Roberts

Uh-huh, but there doesn't seem to be a workaround to be able to print or export any images in the database.....which is what I need.
Chuck

Pamela Tatt

I have been asking for a Print option for databases ever since we joined g.io.  I have a similar problem with my members who are not computer savvy.  We work to a yearly calendar supporting many charities across Australia (hand making garments such as blankets) and our members like to work ahead and mark off --- on paper --- what they are doing and when.

It is very inconvenient having to convert to .csv and then back to a printable sheet with everything in place.

Many others have also been asking for this option over the past year and a half that I've been with g.io.  Hopefully it is on the 'to do' list and will get to the top in the very near future.

Apart from this 'problem' that we have everyone loves the ease of using g.io compared to yg.

Pamela

Charles Roberts

I second (or third, or whatever) the "Print Button" thing Pamela.....and I need it to also print the images inserted in the database.

I wonder....is there a published "to-do" list?  Would be nice if we knew when our requests might be considered for implementation....or if they were rejected out of hand.
Regards,
Chuck

On Dec 11, 2019 5:44 PM, Pamela Tatt <knittingpam@...> wrote:
I have been asking for a Print option for databases ever since we joined g.io.  I have a similar problem with my members who are not computer savvy.  We work to a yearly calendar supporting many charities across Australia (hand making garments such as blankets) and our members like to work ahead and mark off --- on paper --- what they are doing and when.

It is very inconvenient having to convert to .csv and then back to a printable sheet with everything in place.

Many others have also been asking for this option over the past year and a half that I've been with g.io.  Hopefully it is on the 'to do' list and will get to the top in the very near future.

Apart from this 'problem' that we have everyone loves the ease of using g.io compared to yg.

Pamela

lloyd lehrer

It takes a couple steps. Export to excel as csv then select what you want and print

lloyd lehrer, (310)951-9097

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 05:13 PM, Charles Roberts wrote:
I wonder....is there a published "to-do" list?
Sort of.  Mark used Trello at one time, but has been looking for something better (of course, the YG mess didn't speed things up any ;>).  It hasn't been updated in some time (some of the items are actually complete), but you can look it over anyway, https://trello.com/b/qu3WgzVq/beta

Duane

Charles Roberts

Yup, but that doesn't work for images in the database.  And, if you don't know Excel you're SOL.
Chuck

On Dec 11, 2019 6:16 PM, lloyd lehrer <lloydlehrer@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Duane, ( the Devil made me say that).   Tried the trillo thing but most of the descriptions were above my pay-grade.  Couldn't really understand what I was reading.
Chuck