Topics

moderated Blank names when users join or get imported translates into postings getting rejected from mail


 

I noticed that when users did not enter their names when registering or when imported they appear blank.  Many email systems (Lotus Notes and Exchange) will see this as an invalid message.  I have added a dummy name to the person who was having the issue, but it seems that Group.IO should either not allow someone to register with blanks or when composing a posting, it should format it in a way that will be acceptable.  I checked Yahoo, and it allowed blanks, but it required that you use a profile name.  I have sent this to support and I am posting it here.


Anita L
 

The owner or mod can enter a name and click save. I always add a name once someone joins.
 
Anita


 

Belongs in GMF group again.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

No, it belongs here. I know Mark has his hands full right now, but a name is a feature request I've been asking for for years. I want a visible name for anybody in my groups, but I have to add a name myself for 95% of my applicants. Personally I'd rather have providing a name compulsory, I don't care what it is, they can make it up, but I want to see a name. The group I'm helping set up now has the majority of users with no name, and since I didn't moderate it before, I have no idea what to call these people.

Helen


 

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 05:59 AM, Tanya's Feline CKD wrote:
I want a visible name for anybody in my groups, but I have to add a name myself for 95% of my applicants.
But groups.io automatically harvests a Display Name from the person's email if you don't set one up. 
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Duane
 

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 08:37 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
groups.io automatically harvests a Display Name from the person's email if you don't set one up
Only if there is one obviously.  And then only after they've sent a message.

Duane


 

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 07:11 AM, Duane wrote:
Only if there is one obviously.  And then only after they've sent a message.
Both absolutely true. But if they don't send a message, there's no problem with their having no Display Name. And most people do have a name attached to their email. And if they don't, there's basically not much the groups.io system can do about it. It's still incumbent on the group owner to set one up in those (rare) cases.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

Just because it's not a problem for you doesn't mean it's not a problem for others. I hate seeing a massive list of blank names in my membership lists, and more to the point, it's kind of hard for my Condolence Mods to do a condolence post when they don't have a name to whom they can offer condolences. There is plenty groups.io could do, namely require anybody signing up to provide a display name, it's not that much of a requirement, but one I've been asking for unsuccessfully for ages.


 

It is actually an issue for me in a different way, because our group requires a certain form for the Display Name. So we end up setting everyone’s Display Name by hand anyway.

I’m talking in general. The purpose of the Display Name is that it be displayed with the member’s messages. If there are no messages by the member, then by definition, it need not be displayed and is unnecessary assuming that intended purpose. If you’re using it for a different purpose, like looking through your Members list, that’s another issue.

On Oct 24, 2019, at 8:27 AM, Tanya's Feline CKD <helen@felineckd.com> wrote:

Just because it's not a problem for you doesn't mean it's not a problem for others. I hate seeing a massive list of blank names in my membership lists, and more to the point, it's kind of hard for my Condolence Mods to do a condolence post when they don't have a name to whom they can offer condolences. There is plenty groups.io could do, namely require anybody signing up to provide a display name, it's not that much of a requirement, but one I've been asking for unsuccessfully for ages.


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

After Duane's comment about "well configured email systems" I went back to the W3 spec, and checked to see if "." was an acceptable email alias.  The spec says that an Alias should have 2 or more characters, or the email system should display only the email address.  So, the "." is more than 2 characters, so it meets the spec.  I am sure that the board in 2001 never thought that someone would use " as a character.  Since email is dead as a standard, I am guessing that there will not be another revision to the standard in our lifetime.

what I did not realize is that Group.IO does display only the . when a message is in the group.  This is clearly a bug.  So what ever property is used to create the group posting (in this case the web interface) is the issue not the email.


 

Looks like it's also a feature you might be able to use too, though no guarantee the form you require the name in would be the default.


Michael Pavan
 

The Display Name is an identifier of who the email belongs to, a sorting reference for the Members list, as well as of who sent a message.
Perhaps others value it in more ways...

Why should its value for all be limited by the intention(s) of anyone else???

On Oct 24, 2019, at 11:36 AM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@gmail.com> wrote:

It is actually an issue for me in a different way, because our group requires a certain form for the Display Name. So we end up setting everyone’s Display Name by hand anyway.

I’m talking in general. The purpose of the Display Name is that it be displayed with the member’s messages. If there are no messages by the member, then by definition, it need not be displayed and is unnecessary assuming that intended purpose. If you’re using it for a different purpose, like looking through your Members list, that’s another issue.
On Oct 24, 2019, at 8:27 AM, Tanya's Feline CKD <helen@felineckd.com> wrote:

Just because it's not a problem for you doesn't mean it's not a problem for others. I hate seeing a massive list of blank names in my membership lists, and more to the point, it's kind of hard for my Condolence Mods to do a condolence post when they don't have a name to whom they can offer condolences. There is plenty groups.io could do, namely require anybody signing up to provide a display name, it's not that much of a requirement, but one I've been asking for unsuccessfully for ages.



 

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 09:02 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:
the intention(s) of anyone else
No intentions at all here, simply pointing out how the feature currently works. It does take the name from any email sent if there is one, which is generally sufficient for its *intended* purpose (i.e., displaying with the member's sent messages). Of course if people have other uses for it that necessitates a change in the feature, why would anyone object. I certainly have no issue.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 08:59 AM, Tanya's Feline CKD wrote:
Looks like it's also a feature you might be able to use too,
Possibly. What I personally have been requesting for quite awhile (and there was a whole discussion about this at one point) is putting the Display Name under control of the group moderators/owners, so that they can't go and change it back to something else from our required format. But the issue is complex, because things happen to the Display Name when the person changes their overall groups.io User Name. Or used to. That causes, or used to cause, a change in the Display Name for all their groups as well. I haven't kept track of how this heirarchy has evolved over time. 
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Duane
 

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 10:59 AM, William Ellis wrote:
Group.IO does display only the . when a message is in the group
The group should display a portion of the persons email address if they haven't set a Display Name at all.  The only place I can see anything else on my groups is when the person has left the group and their name is replaced with 3 periods ...

Duane


Michael Pavan
 

On Oct 24, 2019, at 12:06 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 09:02 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:
the intention(s) of anyone else
No intentions at all here, simply pointing out how the feature currently works.
The Display Name does currently work as an identifier of who the email belongs to, a sorting reference for the Members list, as well as of who sent a message.
Try it and see.

It does take the name from any email sent if there is one,
Yes, this is the way it currently is automatically populated,
and yes, as you pointed out you do, Display Names can be done manually.
which is generally sufficient for its *intended* purpose (i.e., displaying with the member's sent messages).
I won't quibble with you that for you it serves your intended purpose.
I do know from my experience and what others have stated that it also serves the purpose of identifying who the email belongs to and as a sorting reference for the Members list - try it.

Of course if people have other uses for it that necessitates a change in the feature, why would anyone object. I certainly have no issue.
Than why speak against them???


--
J
Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
Agreed


 

Michael,
I’m not interested in promoting my own “intentions.” Features always have some intended use when they are implemented. That’s the reason they are implemented. Often people may find other, “off label” usages for them (so to speak). And that’s fine. I am not “speaking against” anyone or even anyone’s extra usages for this or any other feature. My interest is always in the betterment of the product as a whole.
Take care.

On Oct 24, 2019, at 11:26 AM, Michael Pavan <michaelpavan@comcast.net> wrote:



On Oct 24, 2019, at 12:06 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 09:02 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:
the intention(s) of anyone else
No intentions at all here, simply pointing out how the feature currently works.
The Display Name does currently work as an identifier of who the email belongs to, a sorting reference for the Members list, as well as of who sent a message.
Try it and see.

It does take the name from any email sent if there is one,
Yes, this is the way it currently is automatically populated,
and yes, as you pointed out you do, Display Names can be done manually.
which is generally sufficient for its *intended* purpose (i.e., displaying with the member's sent messages).
I won't quibble with you that for you it serves your intended purpose.
I do know from my experience and what others have stated that it also serves the purpose of identifying who the email belongs to and as a sorting reference for the Members list - try it.

Of course if people have other uses for it that necessitates a change in the feature, why would anyone object. I certainly have no issue.
Than why speak against them???


--
J
Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
Agreed







--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


Janis
 

I would like adding a Display Name when registering be a requirement.  In my family genealogy groups I insist on knowing names and members being on first name basis within the group.  I ask them to close their messages with their name. First name only works for me.

Janis


On Thursday, October 24, 2019, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Michael,
I’m not interested in promoting my own “intentions.” Features always have some intended use when they are implemented. That’s the reason they are implemented. Often people may find other, “off label” usages for them (so to speak). And that’s fine. I am not “speaking against” anyone or even anyone’s extra usages for this or any other feature. My interest is always in the betterment of the product as a whole.
Take care.
> On Oct 24, 2019, at 11:26 AM, Michael Pavan <michaelpavan@...> wrote:
>
>
>
>> On Oct 24, 2019, at 12:06 PM, J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 09:02 AM, Michael Pavan wrote:
>> the intention(s) of anyone else
>> No intentions at all here, simply pointing out how the feature currently works.
> The Display Name does currently work as an identifier of who the email belongs to, a sorting reference for the Members list, as well as of who sent a message.
> Try it and see.
>
>> It does take the name from any email sent if there is one,
> Yes, this is the way it currently is automatically populated,
> and yes, as you pointed out you do, Display Names can be done manually.
>> which is generally sufficient for its *intended* purpose (i.e., displaying with the member's sent messages).
> I won't quibble with you that for you it serves your intended purpose.
> I do know from my experience and what others have stated that it also serves the purpose of identifying who the email belongs to and as a sorting reference for the Members list - try it.
>
>> Of course if people have other uses for it that necessitates a change in the feature, why would anyone object. I certainly have no issue.
> Than why speak against them???
>
>>
>> --
>> J
>> Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
> Agreed
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu