Topics

moderated 2 questions about the Yahoo Group transfer

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 12:29 PM Harm Selling <h.selling@...> wrote:

1. Last Friday (5 days ago) I requested a transfer for my Yahoo group.Last Saturday (4 days ago) I've given the go-ahead.
How long is the actual waiting time for finishing the transfer?

I've added a status line to the transfer page. When you go to edit your transfer, if it's been submitted for transfer, you'll now see one of these 4 status lines:

Your group is awaiting export from Yahoo. [Step 1 of 4]
Your group is being exported from Yahoo right now. [Step 2 of 4]
Your group is awaiting import into Groups.io. There are about N groups ahead of it in the queue. [Step 3 of 4]
Your group is being imported into Groups.io right now. [Step 4 of 4]

Where N in Step 3 is an estimate as to where you are in the queue. Your group is about 70th in the queue right now.

Step 4 is the biggest bottleneck, as I can only import so many groups at a time without overloading the system. I can't give an estimate as to how long each group takes to be imported, because each group is different (how many photos, how many messages, etc). Also it's dependent on how many groups have requested expedited processing at the time.

2. The member list of my group has a lot of members with the status "No mail". I'm afraid most of these members are not active anymore. Do these members receive a welcome message by joining Group.io? And if that message bounces, are these bouncing accounts automaticly removed or do they automaticly get the status "bouncing"?
If not…. What's the best way to check and clean up these "no mail" accounts? My group contains no-mail accounts from the year 2000, the year of introducing the group, 19 years ago.

If you didn't uncheck the 'Send a message to your members when the transfer is complete' they will be sent a welcome message (ditto if you have a group welcome message). That will be tracked for bouncing. Whether that actually triggers someone being removed depends on the type of bounce back received.

Harm Selling <h.selling@...>

Thank you for the information.

---

Harm Selling

[...]

Mark;  thanks for the update and feature.  it is this kind of thinking which makes this platform a great place to be.
William

Hey Mark, maybe when things slow down (if ever) you can post some stats on how many new groups and members have joined Group.IO.  It seems like there are SO many more groups than when I started here a couple of months ago on a group.
Keep doing the great job....you have been.

rich hurd

Thanks, Mark.  How refreshing to get a responsive service provider.   :)

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 16:51 Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
[...]

We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.” ― John F Kennedy

Barry_M

Couldn't agree more about the responsiveness and just the values, compassion, competence and humor behind groups.io. But, at the risk of making an obvious poi

1.  Yahoo! and its subsequent owners never saw YG as a line of business with much growth potential.  It was is also much larger now, at the point of its unsurprising demise. Combine those two things and easy to understand why it wasn't invested in, didn't work well and why the responsive was very poor to non-existent.

2. Groups.io is a much smaller entity than YG.  That may (and hopefully will) change in the future but "responsive" is something that has to be invested in when a business or organization scales.  One person, however talented and fabulous, can't be doing much 1:1 response and problem resolution once there are thousands, tens of thousands or millions of groups and group owners.  At that scale, it requires real investment in things like customer service personnel, contact centers and high-quality customer experience software.

Groups.io is awesome.  Mark is fantastic. But you just can't operate the same way at scale as you must when you are large.  And, at either size, you can operate poorly (as YG has for years) or well. Whatever an org's size, it's all about the leadership, values and competence at managing growth, technically, organizationally, strategically and commercially.

For the past few years, and even now, things are wonderful here on groups.io.  We should all hope that that can remain true with the inevitable growth that is happening, faster than expected now with YG's shutdown.  FWIW.

Barry_M

Apologies my typos above!  Hopefully it's still clear.  As a warning to newer groups.io members who care about their writing, be sure to edit/check your comments/posts before you click "reply to group" or whatever, as I didn't do well above. Once posted, they can't be edited.

rich hurd

There is an analogue in the ham radio world for a group that is scaling, excellently run with the technical chops to make a difference.   All the lurking hams now know that I’m talking about Elecraft.  It can be done but it takes a huge investment in ability, tools, and people.

Let’s hope that Mark can follow that same path.   End of off topic post.

--

We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.” ― John F Kennedy

Harm Selling <h.selling@...>

Yesterday  there were 70 groups ahead in the queue, this morning (Dutch time) 75 and now 79.

This is very frustrating and seems to be an endless waiting time :-(

---

Harm Selling

[...]

Selling Harm—Have to be patient.  Groups.io isn’t a big company with a huge team that can quickly process a large number of transfers whilst keeping the quality and experience good.  Groups had no more advance warning than any YG manager did and just hadn’t been preparing for it.  This is a great platform run by a fantastically competent, experienced and compassionate person (who also has a fab sense of humor).  It’ll all get done.  We all need to return the same level of compassion, as much empathy as can be summoned and patience.  Thanks for considering this! 🙏

Harm Selling <h.selling@...>

I understand. But it's usual that a queue (in the super market, at the airport, a telephone help desk) is gradually shrinking instead of growing.

A Dutch famous comedian had a conference about a telephone helpdesk.
The public hears:
"There are 2 people waiting for you"
Thereafter:
"There are 3 people waiting for you"
The audience is laughing about this joke. But here the joke turns out reality…. The queue has grown from 70 to 77 in one day. That's very strange and gives no confidence.
I hope the queue will be shrink instead of grow next days.

---

Harm Selling