Topics

moderated re-requesting group setting: "who can invite members"

I requested this in the distant past but it is more relevant today: In my block/neighborhood group, I want people to be allowed to invite other neighbors to the group. The only way I can do that now is the cumbersome method of making everyone a moderator with only one permission. But people are now asking me, "Why am I a moderator?" etc, and I also don't want everyone to be privy to the activity logs and other data.

Bottom line, it would be extremely convenient to have a group setting "Who can invite other members" with choices "moderators" or "subscribers".

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 06:32 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I requested this in the distant past but it is more relevant today: In my block/neighborhood group, I want people to be allowed to invite other neighbors to the group. The only way I can do that now is the cumbersome method of making everyone a moderator with only one permission. But people are now asking me, "Why am I a moderator?" etc, and I also don't want everyone to be privy to the activity logs and other data.

Bottom line, it would be extremely convenient to have a group setting "Who can invite other members" with choices "moderators" or "subscribers".

The saying "be careful of what you ask for" comes to mind.

Would you really want "all" subscribers to be able to invite others to the group?

--
Gerald

In this particular group, yes.

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 2:47 PM Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 06:32 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I requested this in the distant past but it is more relevant today: In my block/neighborhood group, I want people to be allowed to invite other neighbors to the group. The only way I can do that now is the cumbersome method of making everyone a moderator with only one permission. But people are now asking me, "Why am I a moderator?" etc, and I also don't want everyone to be privy to the activity logs and other data.

Bottom line, it would be extremely convenient to have a group setting "Who can invite other members" with choices "moderators" or "subscribers".

The saying "be careful of what you ask for" comes to mind.

Would you really want "all" subscribers to be able to invite others to the group?

--
Gerald

Michael Chopra

Yes, and as you said, the option could be disabled anyway. I have to agree, I would really like that as well.
Thanks.
From Michael.

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 06:32 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I requested this in the distant past but it is more relevant today: In my block/neighborhood group, I want people to be allowed to invite other neighbors to the group. The only way I can do that now is the cumbersome method of making everyone a moderator with only one permission. But people are now asking me, "Why am I a moderator?" etc, and I also don't want everyone to be privy to the activity logs and other data.

Bottom line, it would be extremely convenient to have a group setting "Who can invite other members" with choices "moderators" or "subscribers".

The saying "be careful of what you ask for" comes to mind.

Would you really want "all" subscribers to be able to invite others to the group?

--
Gerald

billsf9c

The time honored way is to add footer with the email address and join URL, and say, Invite a friend. YOU can email this to them. If you are going to invite them, you know their email or text # and can pass it along. So, you and they already have a way to invite them. As a mod you really are doing almost that same thing.

For this, IO should make an extra real-estate using block for a member to put their pal's address into? I can't quite see it...

BillSF9c

This is unclear on the concept. Plus, I’m not talking about how it’s implemented, time-honored or otherwise. I just want the setting. No, I can’t email it to them if I don’t know who they are. I’m talking about allowing non-mod members to invite other people to a restricted group. I am specifically trying to avoid the current scenario, where either (a) I as moderator have to send invites to everyone people want to invite, causing them to have to go through me, or (b) I have to make everyone a moderator do that they can do it themselves.

On Oct 19, 2019, at 2:59 PM, billsf9c via Groups.Io <OOWONBS@...> wrote:

The time honored way is to add footer with the email address and join URL, and say, Invite a friend. YOU can email this to them. If you are going to invite them, you know their email or text # and can pass it along. So, you and they already have a way to invite them. As a mod you really are doing almost that same thing.

For this, IO should make an extra real-estate using block for a member to put their pal's address into? I can't quite see it...

BillSF9c

billsf9c

For US who may invit 10 - 40 folks enmass we NEED it. Other folks with 1 or 2 pals can offer the email subscribe addy or url.

BillSF9c

Yes, and as you said, the option could be disabled anyway. I have to agree, I would really like that as well.
Thanks.
From Michael.

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 06:32 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I requested this in the distant past but it is more relevant today: In my block/neighborhood group, I want people to be allowed to invite other neighbors to the group. The only way I can do that now is the cumbersome method of making everyone a moderator with only one permission. But people are now asking me, "Why am I a moderator?" etc, and I also don't want everyone to be privy to the activity logs and other data.

Bottom line, it would be extremely convenient to have a group setting "Who can invite other members" with choices "moderators" or "subscribers".

The saying "be careful of what you ask for" comes to mind.

Would you really want "all" subscribers to be able to invite others to the group?

--
Gerald

Some posters in this thread are missing what this is all about. Inviting 10 -40 people at a time has nothing to do with it. Adding and email subscribe address has nothing to do with it. I think, billsf9c, that you are new to groups.io. If you have any questions about what I'm requesting, feel free to reply to me privately and I will explain it. I think you don't understand the concept here.

I won't respond further here because (a) I think the request is clear to everyone else and (b) Mark has said he needs some space on feature requests.

Janis

I would like to give only certain long time members the invite other member privilege without making those members moderators. I do not want these members to also approve pending applicants.

That's a refinement on the request, and would be nice, but would require either a different category of member or a setting on each member's page. If easily doable and widely usable, it would be great. I myself would be happy with a simple "who can invite members" setting, at least to start with.