moderated OFFTOPIC: Yahoo! Group Shutdown takes out UK's Oftel phone system

Glenn Glazer

Forgive the offtopic, but I thought people here would be interested in this bit of news:

https://twitter.com/erincandescent/status/1184587323599736837

Best,

Glenn

--
We must work to make the Democratic Party the Marketplace of Ideas not the Marketplace of Favors.

Chris Jones

Sorry, but IMHO your subject ("Headline!") is rather wide of the mark, and the supposed link to Ofcom in the Twitter feed is to a telco, not Ofcom.

Chris

Glenn Glazer

On 10/17/2019 09:16, Chris Jones via Groups.Io wrote:
Sorry, but IMHO your subject ("Headline!") is rather wide of the mark, and the supposed link to Ofcom in the Twitter feed is to a telco, not Ofcom.

Chris

I don't live in the UK, sorry about that. From my reading, I thought it was that Ofcom was a telco.

Whatever it is, I think there's likely to be more of this, of people relying on Yahoo! when they should not have been for things that require more reliability than Yahoo! has ever offered.

Best,

Glenn

--

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 05:25 PM, Glenn Glazer wrote:
I thought it was that Ofcom was a telco.
Ah; I see! Ofcom is the Telecom Regulator*. Oftel was its predecessor, and related only to telephone communications.

Chris

*This includes broadcast television.